Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,918,688 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done this, particularly, has anyone started from the very beginning (addressing that the community could use one, to getting land to host one, to fundraising, to planning it).

We live in a tiny town, but it is very isolated. We have a pretty good playground at the school, but preschoolers, toddlers, and homeschoolers can't use it while school is in session, plus it is at one end of the town. I would like to propose putting one on the Community Center land, which is also next to the library, the fire hall, and the roping arena.

However, I have never done anything like this. Any guidance would be welcome. I have ideas on what I need to do, but I don't know the best order. Obviously, I need to talk to the Community Center Council. I also figure that I should get a group of interested people together, find grants, check with the fire department on what is a reasonable amount that this community can raise/support (they recently finished a long series of fundraisers to build a community room and kitchen in the fire hall). Also, start figuring out which company offers the best deals.

Among just general information, hints on different applicable grants and good companies to work with would be great!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 11:42 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
My experience on this is a bit dated. We did one in Evanston, Il in 1990

Wherever He Goes, Architect Robert Leathers Leaves Another New Playground Behind : People.com

The person referenced in the article is still doing this, so I would say contact his company and see what he can do for you. He has expertise and can probably tell you how to raise money as well as help with the design. Then you use volunteers from the community to help build it. Even the kids helped with ours. My dd was in high school and many of the kids in her class worked to build this (it was not far from the high school campus).

Leathers and Associates : About Us
Leathers and Associates

Old 05-01-2012, 11:47 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
I've never done anything like that Good luck! Sounds like a great idea.

I suppose you'd need to get an estimate of the cost so you know how much you'd need to raise. Is there a community group like a Lions Club or Rotary Club? They sometimes sponsor projects like this. If not, you should probably try to get a committee together to come up with a fund raising plan.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:51 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
We tried to do one in the last neighborhood we lived. The biggest obstacle was the owner of the property is liable for any and all activity.

Starbucks used to have Neighborhood Park Grants, I'm not sure if they still do.

Does the Community Center have a Parks and Rec person? That would be where I would start.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 AM

331 posts, read 603,725 times
You could also get in touch with the mayor & town leaders and propose the idea. Be sure to include the benefits. Many times they can do most of the work and fund raising, etc. But could possibly involve you in the midst of it all as well.

Sounds great, Best of Louck to you. Keep us posted!!

Old 05-01-2012, 12:23 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,290,712 times
Well you can do a lot of things for fundraising. Bake sales,carnivals,raffles etc. I would also consider contacting local politicians about getting their support.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:52 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Well you can do a lot of things for fundraising. Bake sales,carnivals,raffles etc. I would also consider contacting local politicians about getting their support.
None of those raise the amount of money you need to build a playground though.

If you have businesses in town, you may be able to get donations from them for this kind of project though. Community grants can also work well.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Who built your roping arena?

Cowboys and horse folk are usually very community oriented and something like this would appeal to them. I'd definitely get them involved. (They also tend to know people who know people.)

p.s. Good for you!

Old 05-01-2012, 01:07 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,290,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
None of those raise the amount of money you need to build a playground though.

If you have businesses in town, you may be able to get donations from them for this kind of project though. Community grants can also work well.
Depends on how much you bring in. A playground can be a big sandbox,swingset,jungle gym, a seesaw etc. It doesn't mean it's a large scale endeavor .

Old 05-01-2012, 02:10 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,753,946 times
First step is to call your zoning officer and see if the site you have in mind is available for this kind of use and exaclty who owns it, hopefully the town or just one private owner. Sometimes there is open land because small parcels of a big plot are owned by various entities and no one can agree on a use or refuses to sell it to the other parties.

Then start using your mommy network to get support any play group moms, home schools groups, PTA leaders, boy and girl scout troops, local churches. From there it should begin to snowball as you will find the network of people will know someone who knows someone etc.

To raise money start googling away and see if there are any grants available, check with your state and county as well as private organizations.

If you can find a grant (and if you google hard enough you WILL find one) see what the requirements are and from there start calling playground equipment companies to see what the costs will be get 3 different plans 1-the "dream" playground with lots of amenities 2-a middle of the road 3-the low budget option. Make sure your plans are in line with the grants requirements, and apply.

Once you know how much you need then you can start holding the fundraisers, bake sales, car washes etc. run by volunteers. Run a campaign to local businesses asking for support, Get in touch with the local chamber of commerce for assistance with this part. Think of what your playground needs (besides equipment) and target companies for in kind donations. For example the larger landscaping companies or local nurseries to donate trees and shurbs, someone to provide the mulch, a fencing company etc etc. Closer to opening you can also hold a brick fundraiser where families and inviduals can purchase bricks or benches in the playground and have a plaque with thier name on it.

Good luck!! If you're ready to put forth a lot of hard work it WILL get done!!!

One thing I want to say and this is not to burst your bubble just to be realistic, unless you recieve immediate overwhelming community support and find a couple of wealthy & generous benefactors (and even then) realize that depending on thier ages your children could possibly be past the playground stage by the time this thing is up and running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting