Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 03:12 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,235,798 times

Advertisements

Every year as part of the summer homework that I give to my students (HS) I include Learn to swim or Teach someone to swim. The biggest obstacle is fear, so I try to get their classmates who know how to swim involved and committed to helping their friends get past that fear.

Drownings are frequent here, especially due to non-swimmers falling out of boats. After a couple of particularly gruesome accidents, I began adding the caution to ALWAYS wear a life jacket when you are in a boat. It's not for when you're concious, it's for when you're not. That seems to get their attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 04:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
We live on an island. Almost everyone has a boat. About 1/3 of the kids we meet cannot swim. It amazes me.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SzalMcKinsey View Post
Great article! As a parent, I was drawn to this article and I'd also like to share a safety tip of my own. It's imperative to protect your child's eyes from the summer sun. I personally just bought a pair of Babiators and they are awesome- virtually indestructible and the kids love them. Way better than the super cheap ones we normally buy-they actually keep these on because they're cool to wear.

Why?

When did this become imperative?

Did the sun change?

Old 06-11-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
What age can you start the classes? I dont know if anyone remembers my thread of good summer activities for my 7 month old but this sounds great! is 7 months too young?
I do not remember what age, but all of our kids were swimming freely in water over their heads while still in diapers. We had to get special diapers becuae the normal ones woudl absorb massive amounts of water and sink them. However wifey taught them so I do not know about commercial lessons.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Why?

Did the sun change?
No, we just are more aware of the possible damage now.

Children's Vision Coalition :: Do Children Need Eye Protection From The Sun?

Sun Safety

Quote:
Use Protective Eyewear for Kids
Sun exposure damages the eyes as well as the skin. Even 1 day in the sun can result in a burned cornea (the outermost, clear membrane layer of the eye). Cumulative exposure can lead to cataracts (clouding of the eye lens, which leads to blurred vision) later in life. The best way to protect eyes is to wear sunglasses.

Not all sunglasses provide the same level of ultraviolet protection; darkened plastic or glass lenses without special UV filters just trick the eyes into a false sense of safety. Purchase sunglasses with labels ensuring that they provide 100% UV protection.

But not all kids enjoy wearing sunglasses, especially the first few times. To encourage them to wear them, let kids select a style they like — many manufacturers make fun, multicolored frames or ones embossed with cartoon characters. And don't forget that kids want to be like grown-ups. If you wear sunglasses regularly, your kids may be willing to follow your example. Providing sunglasses early in childhood will encourage the habit of wearing them in the future.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:13 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Why?

Did the sun change?
No, our knowledge has.

UV Protection | Consumers | The Vision Council

Sun Safety

Summer Eye Safety Tips | Children's Vision Protection | The Vision Center - Childrens Hospital Los Angeles

UV Protection Critical for Eye Health | Natural Solutions

BBC NEWS | Health | Parents 'ignoring eye sun danger'

Old 06-11-2012, 06:56 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
nana.... I took my foster son to the Y (and got him lesson once that started). Our Y has a rule that a parent need to be pool side when there child who is under 11? I asked pool director about, she said it was so it the child got into trouble the parent go dive in and help. I asked then what is the lifeguard for? and who is the lifeguard going to save 1st. My child or me? Because my child swim better then I do.
This is odd. At our public pool parents only stay poolside for the Mommy and Me classes (ages 1.5 to 3). After that, most parents swim in the adult pool or workout while their kids are having lessons.
They only allow 4-8 kids in each class (based on age and ability) and the instructors are certified life guards. Most are also Masters swimmers. Wouldn't your Y be liable if your child were drowning and you couldn't swim and therefore couldn't save him?

Old 06-12-2012, 08:30 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
That was really cool, my dd (9 months) starts swim classes at the Y in 2 weeks. Im really excited.
Good for you! I wish all parents would get their kids swim lessons. It's so important.

Safety aside - I've found that most people dont' learn how to swim if the don't as a child. And swimming is such great exercise (I'm currently nursing a foot injury and using the pool as my cardio)

Old 06-13-2012, 04:40 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Default Infants learn to avoid drowning

Infants Learn to Avoid Drowning - ABC News

Old 06-17-2012, 02:07 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No, we just are more aware of the possible damage now.

Kinda like how Mommy used to put Mercury on our booboos.

There also used to be some ointment similar to VapoRub® but had a chemical in it that is now considered a hazardous industrial chemical, I can't remember what it was, but it did instantly clear the sinuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting