Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:45 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times

Advertisements

I am not very impressed with the argument that corporal punishment "back in the day" produced adults with self-control. I have seen way too many adults (who I know for a fact were physically disciplined) throwing their own grown-up temper tantrums. I guess when it's an adult you don't call it a temper tantrum, though...fit of pique, maybe? Angry outburst? Not very attractive or mature, whatever name you stick on it.

I've come to the conclusion that I should be thankful for the corporal punishments I took as a kid, because they made me into a truly excellent liar, and prevarication is a useful life skill.

Last edited by Frostnip; 04-19-2012 at 12:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 03:30 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I am not very impressed with the argument that corporal punishment "back in the day" produced adults with self-control. I have seen way too many adults (who I know for a fact were physically disciplined) throwing their own grown-up temper tantrums. I guess when it's an adult you don't call it a temper tantrum, though...fit of pique, maybe? Angry outburst? Not very attractive or mature, whatever name you stick on it.

I've come to the conclusion that I should be thankful for the corporal punishments I took as a kid, because they made me into a truly excellent liar, and prevarication is a useful life skill.
How old were those adults. I'll agree that many adults these days aren't adults at all but we've been using time outs long enough to have plenty of adults in society raised this way. Adults my age, the ones raised with coporal punishment, aren't the ones throwing fits in public (not in the same percentages anyway). That would be the entitled generations raised after me.

I am thankful my parents cared enough to keep me in line until I knew enough to keep myself in line. They saved me a world of hurt and I learned much younger than I would have what path to take. I'm equally thankful they did not raise me telling me how "special" I am. I was raised to think that I was required to contribute and that the world will treat me special when I actually do something that is special.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:41 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I am thankful my parents cared enough to keep me in line until I knew enough to keep myself in line.
It's parents' responsibility to raise their children to survive in the real world. Not teaching them respect for authority is almost guaranteeing failure in adult life.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:21 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
How old were those adults. I'll agree that many adults these days aren't adults at all but we've been using time outs long enough to have plenty of adults in society raised this way. Adults my age, the ones raised with coporal punishment, aren't the ones throwing fits in public (not in the same percentages anyway). That would be the entitled generations raised after me.
I am thankful my parents cared enough to keep me in line until I knew enough to keep myself in line. They saved me a world of hurt and I learned much younger than I would have what path to take. I'm equally thankful they did not raise me telling me how "special" I am. I was raised to think that I was required to contribute and that the world will treat me special when I actually do something that is special.
Can you provide the percentages please? Oh wait, this is just more anecdotal evidence based on absolutely nothing. I see. You are aware that lots of kid nowadays are still being raised with corporal punishment and not everyone uses time outs. I know, I know. It's mind blowing. How can you tell which adults having temper tantrums in public were spanked and which were put in time out? Do they wear signs? Like everyone who was spanked or whipped wears a belt and everyone who was given timeout wears a belt? Now I get it!

Last edited by Dorthy; 04-19-2012 at 06:29 AM..

Old 04-19-2012, 06:31 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
That is from God's Word, the Bible. He has a Son who is quite successful...
God didn't write the bible my friend, and we could have a long discussion in Pm's or in the religion section if you'd like, about the things that never happened that would fill up 3 books .

Old 04-19-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post

They look back to when they grew up with rose colored glasses peering through ethereal mists and think things were so much different. You can go back to sumer and look at cuneiform tablets to see parents bemoaning the next generations lack of morals that will bring down society. There is no perfect punishment ever, and you have to figure out what works for your family. I don't like spanking, and the message it teaches. And guess what neither did my parents, and they have 5 children 1 a doctor, 2 in the business world, and one with a degree already but going back for another one. None of us got pregnant/knocked anyone up,went to jail,feel entitled,or talk back.

So i think all that "spare the rod and spoil the child" crap is just that crap. I reacted far more to knowing my parents were disappointed in me then i ever would have been by being spanked.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:54 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times
Nothing is sadder than an adult who looks back and is greatful and thankful that their parents hit them. From a psychological standpoint it's like that syndrome where people who were kidnapped or kept captive begin to side with their captors and put them on a pedestal. It's about self-preservation and being able to make sense of something so senseless. It's too scary for some people to "hate" their parents. It's too uncomfortable a feeling, so they convince themselves how their parents did the right thing.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Nothing is sadder than an adult who looks back and is greatful and thankful that their parents hit them. From a psychological standpoint it's like that syndrome where people who were kidnapped or kept captive begin to side with their captors and put them on a pedestal. It's about self-preservation and being able to make sense of something so senseless. It's too scary for some people to "hate" their parents. It's too uncomfortable a feeling, so they convince themselves how their parents did the right thing.
"Man i'm sure glad dad whipped my ass regular"

Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post

I think it's more looking back and thinking, "I'm glad my parents loved me and cared about how I turned out." If they didn't use the best method, it's understandable and forgivable. They did better than their own parents, and we can do better than they did. People who were spanked, but also loved, have no problem looking back and being grateful, because they know their parents meant well. I can't really associate a spanking from loving, caring parents who cared for you in every way to a kidnap victim held captive, unless we are talking about actual abuse, not spankings.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:27 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I'm glad my Mother put soap in my mouth when I told her to "shut up", that really taught me a lesson.

I knew from that moment that I better not tell my Mother to "shut up" ever again..or else she would put soap in my mouth, and I sure didn't like that.

I think my Mothers method worked, because I am now older than dirt and twice the size as her, but I would still, never tell her to shut up.

so parents can take this wussy "Time Out" crap, and throw it out the window...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting