Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 AM

51 posts, read 52,939 times

Advertisements

be well adjusted and responsible adults! And no I'm not talking about physical abuse, I'm talking about the occassional spanking so liberal peanut gallery please don't jump all over me!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:25 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,370,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumarkutar View Post
be well adjusted and responsible adults! And no I'm not talking about physical abuse, I'm talking about the occassional spanking so liberal peanut gallery please don't jump all over me!
Yes. Disciplining your children is mandatory, otherwise they turn into society's nightmares.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Ever notice how your friends who's parents spanked/disciplined them turned out to..be well adjusted and responsible adults!
Nope. I know several people whose parents disciplined them, yet when they reached the real world all hell broke loose inside them because they no longer had to answer to said parents.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
I know a lot of children who were not spanked who have turned out to be great children, like the three kids I babysit. Their mother does not believe in spanking and has managed so far to raise them to be wonderful people. I really enjoy spending time with them.

I also know people who grew up being spanked (and sometimes beaten) as children, who then felt completely uninhibited when they knew no one was going to come around and beat them anymore. Spanking often robs a child of the chance to develop their own inner self-discipline that helps them continue through life when there is no sense of outside discipline, since the natural order of consequences isn't always recognizable to them after they've been raised in a world with falsely set up, often more severe consequences.

I also know that you're not talking about physical abuse, but I don't trust most parents to know where the line between "spanking" and "abuse" lies. For example, my ex's parents would argue that they just gave her a "good old spanking". Well whatever they did was by my ex's own admission enough to teach her to hit when she was angry. She got so physically abusive to me that she made me deaf, and I almost lost my pinky finger.

Is it really worth the risk? I'm sure there are parents out there who know the difference, but there are far too many who don't. There are too many parents that don't know the difference between spanking a child out of love vs. hitting a child out of anger. I don't trust parents enough to even condone spanking as a general form of discipline, especially when there are other methods that don't carry such a major risk of abuse.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Yes. Disciplining your children is mandatory, otherwise they turn into society's nightmares.
Many of which are clearly in evidence here at CD forum...

Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 AM

51 posts, read 52,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Nope. I know several people whose parents disciplined them, yet when they reached the real world all hell broke loose inside them because they no longer had to answer to said parents.

Well then they didn't do a good job or do it the right way! I grew up in a blue collar town where parents would smash their kid in the butt when they acted up, and five minutes later give them a hug and tell them they loved them. Seemed to work well!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:32 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumarkutar View Post
At my age, all my friends growing up were spanked... some turned out well adjusted, some did not. I don't think it had much to do with the discipline they received as children...

Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Hey, I was disciplined, and so far, never been in jail.

Kudos to Mom and Dad!!!

We did the same to my 4 kids, same results...

Kudos to Me and my Lovely Wife!!!

(psssst--I'm a Liberal)

Old 04-17-2012, 10:12 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,463 times
Spanking and discipline are not one and the same.

It may take more effort and creativity to discipline without spanking but it certainly is doable and common. And I would say that it's also quite common for parents to spank without really disciplining at all if you define discipline as teaching appropriate/morally correct behavior.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:17 AM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I think it might depend upon the personality of the kids. We are not yellers, swearers or spankers. Our children seemed to want to please us, most of the time. As I've said before, we only spanked our kids once or twice each, and they all can remember what the circumstances were. It was if they did something really dangerous, like riding their bike across the street without looking, and we needed to make a BIG, immediate impression on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.