Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:37 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
So all we need to do is tell all the people in Prison that :You are not what your parents are/were or what they said you are/were. ( this is great coming from very well balanced people who grew up in normal healthy mom and dad families ).... I feel so much better now, after the verbal, emotional, and physical abuse from stepfath** and alcoholic father who hated the entire clan of my mother's side and grew to hate my mother for walking out on him when I was 2 or 3; then would rant and rage at the supper table with moi. I wound up growing up with a mom moving to Vegas who did not know what exactly she wanted in life and then eventually marries a guy resolved not to be single forever. She dies at age 47 of cancer. The 2 of them put a plate in front of me, no seconds, they were in their own world and ignored me emotionally. I move in my "dad" who could not fathom the responsibility of raising a kid even though he made outstanding money by today's standards. I left the house as soon as I graduated from H.S. Did not even go to the prom, as I was such a wreck. Sought solice in getting as much education as I could. ( it is O.K. to vent on this forum isnt it ???? ......... Hope this prevents others from Screwing Up Their Babies to be. )
I am so sorry for what you went through. Telling people the above bolded is not enough. The person who went through it needs to actually come to believe it for him/herself. It can be done, I've seen it (I was a therapist) - it is incredibly hard work to come to see it as the past and to work towards freedom from its repercussions. I truly hope you are able to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:47 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,601 times
And sometimes parents do everything right and raise their children in amazing and wonderful, loving environments and they still come out screwed up. I've seen it happen in my family and friends families. I've also seen it the other way, horrible parenting, great children and adults. Its really a crap shoot. People have minds of their own and can make their own choices in life whether good or bad.

Alot of the time it isn't bad parenting at all, its bad choices.

Last edited by Flamingomo; 04-23-2012 at 09:11 AM..

Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I doubt you will find the parents this is targeted at on the CD parenting forum.
True.... the type of parents that the OP is talking about don't often hang out on parenting support/advice forums, I wouldn't think...

To OP - what you went thru sounds horrible. Have you considered or are you getting some sort of help in moving past what happened to you as a child before it also ruins your adult life?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:30 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
So all we need to do is tell all the people in Prison that :You are not what your parents are/were or what they said you are/were. ( this is great coming from very well balanced people who grew up in normal healthy mom and dad families ).... I feel so much better now, after the verbal, emotional, and physical abuse from stepfath** and alcoholic father who hated the entire clan of my mother's side and grew to hate my mother for walking out on him when I was 2 or 3; then would rant and rage at the supper table with moi. I wound up growing up with a mom moving to Vegas who did not know what exactly she wanted in life and then eventually marries a guy resolved not to be single forever. She dies at age 47 of cancer. The 2 of them put a plate in front of me, no seconds, they were in their own world and ignored me emotionally. I move in my "dad" who could not fathom the responsibility of raising a kid even though he made outstanding money by today's standards. I left the house as soon as I graduated from H.S. Did not even go to the prom, as I was such a wreck. Sought solice in getting as much education as I could. ( it is O.K. to vent on this forum isnt it ???? ......... Hope this prevents others from Screwing Up Their Babies to be. )

You need to acknowledge and help yourself. I grew up with a verbally and emotionally abusive father and a cold, uninterested mother. My father abused alcohol terribly. My siblings and I were given little to no life direction or lessons.

I went to therapy for quite a few years. I am not what my parents said I was and I take ownership of my life. No one will tell me who I am, except for me.

You need therapy.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 AM

502 posts, read 985,574 times
To be quite honest, I am in the medical field. Finished Pre Med, got several health care certs. What I have seen in the hospital setting and what I know of professionals, from careful grilling, makes me shun professional help. I realized one day about a year or two ago that all the real answers I could ever hope to get - came from confronting an uncle, my mother's brother ( about why they did not step in when my mom was dating my dad, and the entire family did NOT like him ) who was also aloof and distant. Shoot, here I am a needy touchy feely ( my lot in life ) kind of person who was given a big family tree of non-touchy feely distant relations; go figure. Anyway, this uncle and his wife brought a lot of answers to my past. Much more valuable than any arm chair pipe smoking Fruedian psych could do. I have turned to YHWH God and Jesus Christ for my solace and comfort. I am not saying that Psychs cannot help others..... I am also wanting to state that as even early as a nineteen year old, with no background of family to show compassion, discussion, words of wisdom, communication of any real kind, direction - I literally sought out older, senior people for the burning questions that I needed help with. Simple things, like how something works, why is this like this..... "could you please help me?" I did happen to run into very helpful and safe human beings. I was Sooooooooooo Naive for a very long time. It is so very painful to remember all the gross stupid business descisions I fell prey to later on in life . If there were ever times I felt like suicide it would be after all the financial preditors I ran into. And this was not any money that I inherited. It was dear money that I earned. Oh, the financial preditors, that is one of the things that push me off the edge. And people that I trust to build something and take the money and run.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
To be quite honest, I am in the medical field. Finished Pre Med, got several health care certs. What I have seen in the hospital setting and what I know of professionals, from careful grilling, makes me shun professional help. I realized one day about a year or two ago that all the real answers I could ever hope to get - came from confronting an uncle, my mother's brother ( about why they did not step in when my mom was dating my dad, and the entire family did NOT like him ) who was also aloof and distant. Shoot, here I am a needy touchy feely ( my lot in life ) kind of person who was given a big family tree of non-touchy feely distant relations; go figure. Anyway, this uncle and his wife brought a lot of answers to my past. Much more valuable than any arm chair pipe smoking Fruedian psych could do. I have turned to YHWH God and Jesus Christ for my solace and comfort. I am not saying that Psychs cannot help others..... I am also wanting to state that as even early as a nineteen year old, with no background of family to show compassion, discussion, words of wisdom, communication of any real kind, direction - I literally sought out older, senior people for the burning questions that I needed help with. Simple things, like how something works, why is this like this..... "could you please help me?" I did happen to run into very helpful and safe human beings. I was Sooooooooooo Naive for a very long time. It is so very painful to remember all the gross stupid business descisions I fell prey to later on in life . If there were ever times I felt like suicide it would be after all the financial preditors I ran into. And this was not any money that I inherited. It was dear money that I earned. Oh, the financial preditors, that is one of the things that push me off the edge. And people that I trust to build something and take the money and run.

I'm glad you have been able to find some solace and some safe people, and that you were able to get some resolution by talking with your family. Totally cool that therapy is not your thing - just wanted to say that in a hospital/medical setting, one is more likely to encounter those trained in an old school psychoanalytic (aka Freudian) or psychodynamic approach that is less common in other settings, where cognitive behavioral, behavioral, interpersonal and other evidence-based therapies are more likely to be practiced. IME, the different sets of approaches draw vastly different types of professionals and are experienced very differently by clients. (We don't all suck! ) I think a lot of it comes down to the goodness-of-fit. Nothing wrong with finding your own way to deal with things, either. Good luck to you.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:19 PM

753 posts, read 1,482,463 times
Mom and Dad, is that you?

Quote:
HOW TO SCREW UP YOUR CHILDREN

1. Harp on them constantly, telling them that they are stupid or what

they do is stupid.

2. When you are drunk or stoned and upset, call them queare, sissy,

foolish, dumb, worthless.

3. Compare them to the neighbor's childrens achievements.

4. If you have more than one child you can pit one against the other

and then switch back and forth.

5. You can threaten to send them back to the divorced spouse, or relatives.

6. You can say, "I wish I never had you."

7. If I had more money I would have sent you away to a boarding school.

8. Eat and s*** , Eat and S*** - thats all you ever do. (costing me lots of money).

9. I'll bet Wayne and Bobby dont stay up All Night doing homework. (electric bill too high)

And when they eventually leave the nest and never call you or write,

or visit, you can say to yourself, what Ungrateful Brats.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:35 AM

Default And how many adults run into marriage

thinking that this other person is going to make me happy and then thinking, maybe if I have some babies, I will be happy. Or maybe if I have some babies, it will hold the marriage together. That is what I heard from my uncle and aunt years later when I asked them how this awful marriage of my mom and dad went off the cliff.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:16 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
I tried all of these things and they did nto work. I am a failure. They just laughed whenever I said something like this.

The are mostly older now. Is there anything I can do to make them dysfunctional at this time, or is it too late?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 AM

Glad to hear you did everything right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting