Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following most closely characterizes your situation?
I am a SAHM and I regularly cook from scratch 21 30.88%
I am a SAHM and I do not regularly cook from scratch 7 10.29%
I work full-time and I cook from scratch 18 26.47%
I work full-time and I do not cook from scratch 10 14.71%
I work part-time and I regularly cook from scratch 10 14.71%
I work part-time and I do not cook from scratch 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 07:45 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

I stay at home and don't cook from scratch a lot. I'm teaching myself and I find many ingredients to be cost prohibitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 07:55 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I stay at home and don't cook from scratch a lot. I'm teaching myself and I find many ingredients to be cost prohibitive.
What ingredients, out of curiosity?

Old 04-22-2012, 08:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I'd like an option somewhere between cooking from scratch and buying everything pre-made. I don't buy entirely pre-made meals like Stouffer's Lasagna, but I use things like pre-chopped frozen green peppers and onions. I don't know if you'd consider that from scratch.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
What ingredients, out of curiosity?
Fresh herbs and spices come to mind.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:12 PM

Oh and while I don't cook from scratch, I also don't buy everything premade.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:17 PM

13,410 posts, read 9,940,077 times
Quote:
Oh and while I don't cook from scratch, I also don't buy everything premade.
Yeah, Mags, buying everything in a recipe when you're learning can certainly add up. I used to buy all the stuff before we had MissFR, but after you know what you're doing a bit you learn how to make the essence of the dish, without having to have everything a recipe calls for.

I loved learning to cook, have fun!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:19 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I work full time and cook mostly from scratch. I don't know about the economical part, because honestly it would be cheaper to feed them Spaghetti-Os.
Well...yeah, but how long can you keep going with spaghettis?

You would think that most people would eventually come to crave some sort of cooked meal involving a vegetable, meat, etc; so then they would have the option of a home-cooked meal (involves time and skill) or some store-bought frozen dinner. The latter is more expensive than the former - strictly in terms of money. Adding the time and the skill is another issue.

But isn't this supposed to be part of the "full-time job" of a stay-at-home mother? Allocate time for home-cooked meals from scratch - so you can maximize nutrition and minimize cost?.

Meals cooked from scratch can be BOTH economical and very nutritious - but of course somebody has to take the time to do it and must acquire the skill to do it.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Well...yeah, but how long can you keep going with spaghettis?

You would think that most people would eventually come to crave some sort of cooked meal involving a vegetable, meat, etc; so then they would have the option of a home-cooked meal (involves time and skill) or some store-bought frozen dinner. The latter is more expensive than the former - strictly in terms of money. Adding the time and the skill is another issue.

But isn't this supposed to be part of the "full-time job" of a stay-at-home mother? Allocate time for home-cooked meals from scratch - so you can maximize nutrition and minimize cost?.

Meals cooked from scratch can be BOTH economical and very nutritious - but of course somebody has to take the time to do it and must acquire the skill to do it.
THIS is why people didn't want to respond to your thread. Who gets to define what the job a SAHM is? you?

Old 04-22-2012, 08:29 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times
Quote:
In the case you signal I think the trick is NOT to let yourself drawn into a million crazy recipes with all sorts of exotic ingredients.

The talent of the uber-housewife used to be to cook well, with simple/handy ingredients. Make a lot with little, aka resourcefulness.

I see this in my MIL (she is 84 now). She was the quintessential 50's housewife. Incredible. When I go to her place her fridge is literally empty, there's NOTHING there. Yet before I know it, she sets the table and gets a steaming casserole and side vegetables and drinks and everything needed and I end up eating until I drop on the floor.

She is phenomenal at meal planning and she makes miraculous meals on a very low budget. Quite enviable I must say.

I am yet to meet a young SAHM today with such skills.
I am sure they are out there but I am yet to meet one myself.
I must confess that ALL I know personally ...not only do they NOT cook from scratch...they do not cook at all.

This is self-confessed -they said it. I didn't. They marvel and go "ooh and ah" when I tell them I have a full-time professional (heavy) career and i cook from scratch regularly.

A few sid their husbands (yes, working husbands) cook 2-3 times a week, the rest is store-bought pizzas, take outs, eating out, etc.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
I stayed (past tense) at home and cooked from scratch.

It was a hell of a lot of work I don't mind telling you.

(And I'm a VERY good cook. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting