Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:40 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times

Advertisements

As with anything, there are exceptions, but this is a great reminder for parents when dealing with teachers:

Quote:
1. Do not act until the first flush of anger has passed.

2. Often, the best thing a parent can do for her child is allow the student to work things out with the teacher on his own.

3. The best time to conduct a parent-teacher conference is at a formally scheduled parent-teacher conference.

4. Remember that parents and teachers have an interest in common – the student.
Finding an End to the Parent-Teacher Wars - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 09:02 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
As with anything, there are exceptions, but this is a great reminder for parents when dealing with teachers:

Finding an End to the Parent-Teacher Wars - NYTimes.com
I like that. Great reminders!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Nice! I agree, nice post.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:15 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
generally very good advice, which I follow, although I remember when my teacher dumped my desk (because it was unorganized) in 1st grade and had me carry all my books home in a big bag on the bus. She told me my parents needed to sign the bag and bring everything back the next day. My Dad was furious, even though he agreed I needed top be more organized, and had me bring back a big fat letter. I am sure it was an angry letter disagreeing with the discipline technique, but I never knew as it was a sealed letter. I was so happy my parents stuck up for me to my "big mean teacher," which she was, and they dropped me off at school the next day. My desk is still messy 30 some years later, but now at work, even though my home is organized.

Thinking back I understand she wanted my books to be neatly stacked, but my messiness didn't affect my performance, as I got all A's.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:50 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,896 times
Parents also need to understand that teachers have no say in how the school/ district runs. They don't choose the curriculm, parent-teach conference schudule or anything. That is one gripe my wife has with parents.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I couldn't get the link to open for me (computer problems)...but I agree with no.1....and no.3.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:19 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
no. 2 and number 4...no way.....NJ Father Records Teachers Bullying His Autistic Child (http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/nj-father-records-teachers-bullying-his-autistic-child - broken link)

Old 04-25-2012, 12:27 AM

500 posts, read 748,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
no. 2 and number 4...no way.....NJ Father Records Teachers Bullying His Autistic Child (http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/nj-father-records-teachers-bullying-his-autistic-child - broken link)
Sad, but sometimes true and these cases are not as isolated as one might think.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:49 AM

652 posts, read 1,052,860 times
I think there are definitely exceptions. I have little contact with my kids teachers these days, but did go through a period of a few years where there was much that was concerning.

1)Do not act until the first flush of anger has passed....it really depends on what the situation is. I think that would be true most of the time, but I can tell you we've had one major exception to that, relating to some safety issues at our school.

2)As far as the kid working things out...a young child doesn't have the capability to know that their teacher has really wacky views on education, or that he/she should be encouraged to be doing math facts daily, etc.

3)While I'd agree that according to the article the produce aisle is not the best venue for a parent teacher conference, that doesn't mean you can't have interaction with the teacher between conferences.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:05 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I agreed there were exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
3)While I'd agree that according to the article the produce aisle is not the best venue for a parent teacher conference, that doesn't mean you can't have interaction with the teacher between conferences.
I think the point of the article was that if you need to discuss something with the teacher between regularly scheduled conferences, then contact the teacher, and set up a meeting.

Most of the teachers in my kids school live in the community. Their kids are on local sports teams, scouts, etc. People often think this is an appropriate time to discuss their own children's issues with the teacher who is there with their own family. My son's 5th grade teacher is a friend of mine. I have made it a point to only discuss my son's school progress with her at mutually agreed upon times, and not when socializing or when our kids have activities together. This is not limited to teachers though, I think etiquette goes a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting