Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 03:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Most of that you can get with 2 kids, and the rest of it is either untrue or doesn't make sense. I remember your last thread of this kind. I believe it went from thinly veiled racism to blatant racism and was closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 04:02 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I remember your last thread of this kind. I believe it went from thinly veiled racism to blatant racism and was closed.
I don't know what you're talking about. I don't remember starting any thread on this topic that was closed, and I certainly never spouted any racism. If you're calling me a racist, prove it or apologize.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I don't know what you're talking about. I don't remember starting any thread on this topic that was closed, and I certainly never spouted any racism. If you're calling me a racist, prove it or apologize.
Perhaps it was a different poster with a VERY similar philosophy. I don't have time to look right now. If it wasn't you, sorry.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Okey Dokey.

I'm betting this gets moved to POC where the same people will argue their points for a week.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
If it wasn't you, sorry.
It wasn't me. Apology accepted, thanks.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:21 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Because natural population growth comes with familial, cultural, and often religious obligations. It comes in the context of pre-existing relationships that make people happy and secure. That's a good thing and makes for a stronger society. Immigrants do not generally share family ties with the natives, nor do they feel any special solidarity with them, or responsibilities towards them.

Once again, I'm not arguing against immigration per se - there are valid reasons to favor certain kinds of immigration - but it's a poor substitute for natural population replacement and growth.
You also don't share any of those with your neighbors either. Seems like a poor analogy if you ask me. The fact is in the end the point is moot, until we can learn to either grow children outside of the womb for the sole purpose of making up for population loss or peoples life spans alter vastly to the fact having 3-4 kids will not be such a big deal, then population numbers will continue to fall. Kid's are not longer a financial investment but a massive financial burden and it makes wanting more then 1 or 2 on average non desirable.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:24 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
I think she means this one //www.city-data.com/forum/illeg...an-future.html

And you have had several topics closed that i can remember. Because i commented in many of them.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
We have to import nurses from abroad just to take care of our own elderly.
Then you better pray for daughters because 76% of the people caring for elderly parents are female.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:39 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
I'm afraid you're going to have to take this to the next level. First, look up the word "family". Then look up the word "culture". Each of these will give you several definitions from which to choose. Then, from the context of this discussion, make an educated guess in each case as to which of those definitions is the most relevant. Once that determination has been made, put the words together in order to form a separate and distinct concept. Make sure to get the order right: "culture" is modified by "family", not the reverse. Let me know what you come up with.
Meh, no thanks. If the OP of a thread can't be bothered to help out an interested participant, I'm not too into doing it either.

Good day, sir.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
You also don't share any of those with your neighbors either. Seems like a poor analogy if you ask me.
I certainly do share those things with my neighbors - at least with some of my neighbors. And I share all of those relationships with any children I might have. That's the point. If we're going to add population to the country, a native born child has all of those connections to someone already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
The fact is in the end the point is moot, until we can learn to either grow children outside of the womb for the sole purpose of making up for population loss or peoples life spans alter vastly to the fact having 3-4 kids will not be such a big deal, then population numbers will continue to fall. Kid's are not longer a financial investment but a massive financial burden and it makes wanting more then 1 or 2 on average non desirable.
This is nonsense. Family size is a cultural thing. It's a matter of how a society values children and family vis-a-vis other cultural goods. That has changed before and it will change again. We're fairly prosperous today: the time to increase the birthrate is in a time of prosperity. If instead we are forced to do it as a result of getting thrown back into a subsistence agrarian society, then we've missed our chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting