Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 08:32 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Us selfish adults will look for any reason to get a few drinks into us...Years ago we would have birthday parties for the kids...Birthdays are very important in my family...well the adults used to get drunk....This was unfair...It is NOT your party it is the kids party!

Funny as we matured...and have get together at the last living grandma's house...with the adult kids and other relatives...no one brings booze...grandma simply does not like it when we get drunk and stupid...things run smoother without alcohol....As for getting a glow on at your kids birthday party...don't bother...the celebration of a childs birth should be more than enough of a glow for you...just not a good idea...save the adult habits for adult parties.
Most mature and responsible adults do not equate alcohol with "getting drunk and stupid." For most of us, if those days ever even happened, it was over and done with in college and now that we have children it is unheard of. Most of us have enough self control and self respect to be able to have a drink or two anytime we want, even at a child's birthday party, and still be able to attend to our responsibilities as parents.

If you are not one of those people, then yes, it is best that you refrain from drinking....on any occasion.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:21 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
I have a glass of wine several nights a week. In many countries that is the norm. I haven't been "drunk and stupid" in decades.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:24 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I have a glass of wine several nights a week. In many countries that is the norm. I haven't been "drunk and stupid" in decades.
I haven't been drunk and stupid since I turned 21. For one week I allowed myself all the stupidity I wanted and got it out of my system.
Now I drink something like beer at the bar or I'll get something like a coke and rum with dinner or a glass of wine. I like the wine with dinner several nights a week, I am slowly getting into wine and would like to broaden my horizons.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:46 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times
Coming from a family of alcoholics, I've never drank in my entrie life. i also refuse to allow it in my house. Some one who bases their attendance at parties on the presence/absence of alcohol needs to evaluate their friendship/relationship with the host(s). Anyone who can't have a good time without alcohol and/or feels the need to sneak alcohol into a dry party should seriously consider professional help.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Coming from a family of alcoholics, I've never drank in my entrie life. i also refuse to allow it in my house. Some one who bases their attendance at parties on the presence/absence of alcohol needs to evaluate their friendship/relationship with the host(s). Anyone who can't have a good time without alcohol and/or feels the need to sneak alcohol into a dry party should seriously consider professional help.
My dad is a drugie and alcoholic, my grandmother says my grandfather is an alcoholic (they're divorced). A few people in my family do have issues with alcohol, but I refuse to let that define me or control me. I refuse to think that because someone else in my family is like that that I will uncontrollably become one too if I drink. I have control over my own actions and I can control becoming like the few in my family.

Sure, when I turned 21, I got sh!!tfaceted but it was my birthday week celebration and after that week I haven't drank much at all, I don't feel the need to drink all the time and I don't have to have it to have fun, in fact I have more fun when I am not under the influence but just because there are a few alcoholics in my family doesn't mean if I drink I will become like them. I am who I am and I am not an alcoholic and I will not become one.

Saying you won't drink because people in your family are alcoholics and you're afraid you will become one is basically saying you have no control over yourself and have no self-control.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
My dad is a drugie and alcoholic, my grandmother says my grandfather is an alcoholic (they're divorced). A few people in my family do have issues with alcohol, but I refuse to let that define me or control me. I refuse to think that because someone else in my family is like that that I will uncontrollably become one too if I drink. I have control over my own actions and I can control becoming like the few in my family.

Sure, when I turned 21, I got sh!!tfaceted but it was my birthday week celebration and after that week I haven't drank much at all, I don't feel the need to drink all the time and I don't have to have it to have fun, in fact I have more fun when I am not under the influence but just because there are a few alcoholics in my family doesn't mean if I drink I will become like them. I am who I am and I am not an alcoholic and I will not become one.

Saying you won't drink because people in your family are alcoholics and you're afraid you will become one is basically saying you have no control over yourself and have no self-control.
Alcoholism does tend to run in families and it has been linked to genes. So while, it is not assured that someone who has alcoholism in their family will become alcoholic, there is a better chance that they will, so staying away from alcohol may be a good choice.

Researchers Identify Alcoholism Gene

Old 04-28-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Alcoholism does tend to run in families and it has been linked to genes. So while, it is not assured that someone who has alcoholism in their family will become alcoholic, there is a better chance that they will, so staying away from alcohol may be a good choice.

Researchers Identify Alcoholism Gene
Its all weakminded bull****.
I have enough self-restraint. If I was going to be an alcoholic it would have happened by now, I never feel the urge to drink and I certainly don't feel like I need it but it is nice at certain venues.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:08 PM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Its all weakminded bull****.
I have enough self-restraint. If I was going to be an alcoholic it would have happened by now, I never feel the urge to drink and I certainly don't feel like I need it but it is nice at certain venues.
No you don't. Have enough self restraint, that is. If you do happen to have the alcohol dependency gene, or whatever it is, then self restraint means bupkiss, my dear.

It can take years and years to "be an alcoholic". It doesn't happen overnight, and it may not happen until a lot later in life. It's an insidious horrible thing that creeps up on people, and they often don't realize what's going on until the horse is out of the barn and off down the street.

I'm not surprised to hear you think it's all weakminded bull****, but I could introduce you to a lot of people who've accomplished a lot more in life than you and yet still fell prey to addiction. I can assure you that weakminded is not on their list of traits.

So be very careful. Regardless of your youthful posturing, you are not immune, and if it runs in your family, it could certainly happen to you.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
No you don't. Have enough self restraint, that is. If you do happen to have the alcohol dependency gene, or whatever it is, then self restraint means bupkiss, my dear.

It can take years and years to "be an alcoholic". It doesn't happen overnight, and it may not happen until a lot later in life. It's an insidious horrible thing that creeps up on people, and they often don't realize what's going on until the horse is out of the barn and off down the street.

I'm not surprised to hear you think it's all weakminded bull****, but I could introduce you to a lot of people who've accomplished a lot more in life than you and yet still fell prey to addiction. I can assure you that weakminded is not on their list of traits.

So be very careful. Regardless of your youthful posturing, you are not immune, and if it runs in your family, it could certainly happen to you.
Dude, I barely drink now as it is. I really don't like the woozy nauseous feeling I get and I don't even have to drink that much to feel like that and the last time I drank I had very little and turned down anymore offered to me. I don't plan on drinking very much into my future anyways, maybe wine here and there with dinner and beer on special occasions like backyard BBQ's and special dinners out and birthdays.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post

Did you forget? I am youthful and invincible, wanna see me run into a brick wall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting