Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 09:20 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetree View Post
Hmmm...then why are so many teens today abusing alcohol? It seems most posters here agree it's OK....so that's a problem right there. Kids today have enough pressure, becoming a teenager, resisting temptation from drugs and alcohol...which is starting much earlier with kids today. I have attended parties where minors as young as ten, were drinking in front of parents. If they are getting that message at home, it's tough to tackle as they grow older. So be an example ....because kids ARE abusing alcohol earlier.
there is a world of difference between adults drinking in front of children, and allowing a 10 year old to drink. Don't you dare say "we" are "ok with" minors abusing alcohol. No one here said they allow minors to drink in their homes.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Hmmm...then why are so many teens today abusing alcohol? It seems most posters here agree it's OK....so that's a problem right there. Kids today have enough pressure, becoming a teenager, resisting temptation from drugs and alcohol...which is starting much earlier with kids today.
I have not seen one single post on this thread where anyone said teens drinking, let alone abusing alcohol is "okay".

Quote:
I have attended parties where minors as young as ten, were drinking in front of parents. If they are getting that message at home, it's tough to tackle as they grow older. So be an example ....because kids ARE abusing alcohol earlier.
So what did you do? You should have called the police. Alcohol is poisonous to a child. You are just as guilty of child endangerment for doing nothing (if it's indeed true).

Old 05-04-2012, 10:20 AM

31 posts, read 33,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
there is a world of difference between adults drinking in front of children, and allowing a 10 year old to drink. Don't you dare say "we" are "ok with" minors abusing alcohol. No one here said they allow minors to drink in their homes.
OK with drinking in front of their kids. The incident I was referring, is rare...but many parents do drink in front of their children. I did leave and a neighbor called the authorites. I just feel that when kids see that the adults need to drink at social gatherings, they learn that they need alcohol at their social functions. So, why are we surprised when our teens drink? If you believe reading to a toddler, taking them to church, not swearing or censoring what they see on television and internet are examples you need to set for them, why would drinking be any different? To parents of young children, it might sem you have forever to teach and inspire your kid's greatness, but this time goes by so fast! Enjoy your kid's party for what it is, a kid's party.

Last edited by violetree; 05-04-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I have not seen one single post on this thread where anyone said teens drinking, let alone abusing alcohol is "okay".

I did not mean to imply that...but in this situation, I informed the parent, who said it was OK, it's only a few sips?! Although a neighbor called the police: I don't know what happened? I do not associate with these people anymore. Though many here agree it's OK to drink in front of their children, some adults can be responsible, some cannot. Many parents believe that occasional alcohol consumption in front of children does teach them that this lega act is not taboo, and remove some of the stigma around it.

It's still a KID'S BIRTHDAY PARTY, sure some adults can be responsible and would like to have a few drinks, but is not their birthday party, it's the kids.

So what did you do? You should have called the police. Alcohol is poisonous to a child. You are just as guilty of child endangerment for doing nothing (if it's indeed true).
x

Old 05-04-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Sorry, did not mean to imply that here... many posters agree it's OK to drink in front of their children. But in some cases, parents are OK with minor children drinking in front of them.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:45 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
enjoying a kids party for being a kids party and having a couple drinks are not mutually exclusive

you can indeed do both in many circumstances

trying to force black & white into a world of gray and nuance is just not reasonable

i know few teens who do something because their parents do it ....... they'll do it because their friends do it, or other people who are "cool" do it or because they are simply expirementing as they age and transition

my parents smoke and it's a big part of the reason why I do not ....... I did try them out growing up as did many kids ..... the fact they smoked made it easier to mask that I was trying them .... however, it played zero role in the reasons why I actually tried them out (which were more social amongst my peers)

while there are some lifestyle and circumstance traits that can go into the nature/nuture debate ...... having a beer instead of a soda at a party isn't exactly going to be one of those ... especially if you take the other step as a responsible parent and actually speak with your children

my parents would go to get togethers when we were growing up ....... they would play cards with their friends, have some snacks, drinks, etc

the kids would have their own snacks, board games, movies, etc

I was typically a little bit older than the kids of my parents friends and would get a bit bored just playing with them .... so I'd come into the other room and sit in on a couple hands of cards

Also throughout HS we would meet up at a friends house and play cards .... it was something we would do frequently ...... not a single time was there a drop of alcohol there - despite that being what we saw our parents do

It just wasn't a part of our lives

I don't want my younger kids to drink soda - however, I will have a soda

there are certain movies and TV programs that I enjoy that I wouldn't have a kid watch

it starts at a young age, but there are constant distinctions for a growing child on activities that are acceptable for children & for adults ...... it's the parents job to explain this, frame context, responsibility, etc

the world isn't as simple as "monkey see, monkey do"

Old 05-04-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The incidence of youth drinking declined from 1991 to 2007. It did not increase. It decreased.

The median age of initiation also increased. It did not decrease. It increased.

Facts are your friends.

NIAAA Publications
http:usnews.com/health-news/2012

Old 05-04-2012, 10:57 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
http:usnews.com/health-news/2012
?

Old 05-04-2012, 10:59 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
If you believe reading to a toddler, taking them to church, not swearing or censoring what they see on television and internet are examples you need to set for them, why would drinking be any different?
It isn't any different. That's why modeling healthy behavior regarding alcohol is so important. If you want your kids to see healthy behavior then you model healthy behavior.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:55 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting