Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 09:41 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times

Advertisements

WHY is that guy beating that dead horse? The flies buzzing around the nose are a nice touch--actually got a laugh out of me- I guess it's time to bail.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:48 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
The vast majority of respondents have said they would not serve alcohol at a "children's party". A party held for a mixed group, regardless of the reason for the celebration, is not a children's party.

Why is it less objectionable to offer a beer at a backyard party for July 4th than a backyard birthday party?

Old 05-05-2012, 07:46 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The vast majority of respondents have said they would not serve alcohol at a "children's party". A party held for a mixed group, regardless of the reason for the celebration, is not a children's party.

Why is it less objectionable to offer a beer at a backyard party for July 4th than a backyard birthday party?
Because of people trotting around on their high horses of righteousness.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdropinn View Post
please tell us how you have determined that anyone on this thread is a binge drinker.
chug chug chug chug

Old 05-05-2012, 07:56 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetree View Post
Sheesh..if adults cannot survive without alcohol, for one party --a kid's party -- that is a problem. Legal age may be 21...but most kids start drinking before then.
But that's IMO,and I would never have alcohol my kid's party, even if only for adults.
Adults can drink on their own time.
show me where anyone said they can't survive without a drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Most of those that I see on this thread are just like me- Binge drinkers...It's not like we can sit at a kids party on the side lines and sip a whiskey or a glass of wine...When I drink - I drink...and I drink till I am drunk ......so do most of those that insist on having an excuse to binge..ordinary drinkers..really would not care if they were permitted to drink at a kids party or not- binge drinkers do care. Just don't say something real stupid to any sober parents that might be there...like...well you know- dumb drunken stuff that will embarrass your kids.
whoa. just because you can't handle your alcohol doesn't mean the rest of us can't. I think it means the exact opposite - we have no problem having a drink or 2 with dinner. that's why having a drink or 2 even in the presence of kids, doesn't seem like a big deal.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
show me where anyone said they can't survive without a drink.

whoa. just because you can't handle your alcohol doesn't mean the rest of us can't. I think it means the exact opposite - we have no problem having a drink or 2 with dinner. that's why having a drink or 2 even in the presence of kids, doesn't seem like a big deal.
Alcohol is just another one of those things people have strong beliefs over and the beliefs are swayed by society, if we didn't have such extreme opinions one way or anything people would grow up thinking of alcohol as just another drink, just one that you are responsible with.

There is nothing inherently good or bad about anything and based on responses in this thread it really is what you make of it.

Obviously Oleg has some issues with alcohol, some deep deep issues, seek counseling, YOU actually sound kind of like an alcoholic with how well you were able to describe the feelings of a binge drinker.

But to turn on the rest of us and call all of us binge drinkers is pretty low.
I for one, am not a binge drinker. I don't think anyone else here is one either. I can only speak for myself but I am pretty sure the others are this way too but I don't feel the need to drink a lot quickly at a party or load up huge shot glasses with "pirate portions". Nor do I think anyone here even cops a mild buzz. Anything more than a slight buzz and I stop drinking, I don't like feeling too out of control or intoxicated.

Does the fact that I think it is ok to responsibly drink in front of children and have alcohol at most events make me or anyone else here a boozy pirate on the SS Vodka?
No.
I think the reason people are defending alcohol at events so hard is because all the resistance on the other side saying opposing things to us with such opposingness. (Scuse me for the lack of creativity in my word choice today I went camping last night, slept in a tent, had nightmares about bears attacking the tent and had to come into work at 7am today, my mind is not working.)
We're trying to say there is nothing wrong with drinking responsibility and all we're hearing back is narrow-minded, fear induced opposition to alcohol all because they have some religious conviction or they knew a few people who couldn't handle their liquor.

Drinking CAN be done responsibly and whoever says it sounds time consuming and whatever else was said about watching how many drinks you have at a party are just lazy people. Who think that alcohol is this crazy liquid that you just drink uncontrollably because it's alcohol and it has that stigma to them, which is why they can't fathom drinking responsibly because to them alcohol is just some crazy drink and it's only used wildly.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:16 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetree View Post
Sheesh..if adults cannot survive without alcohol, for one party --a kid's party -- that is a problem. Legal age may be 21...but most kids start drinking before then.
But that's IMO,and I would never have alcohol my kid's party, even if only for adults.
Adults can drink on their own time.
Sounds good to me. If someone goes to your house, they know it's a dry party, no big deal. They come to my house, they can have a glass of wine or a beer. No big deal.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:18 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Most of those that I see on this thread are just like me- Binge drinkers...It's not like we can sit at a kids party on the side lines and sip a whiskey or a glass of wine...When I drink - I drink...and I drink till I am drunk ......so do most of those that insist on having an excuse to binge..ordinary drinkers..really would not care if they were permitted to drink at a kids party or not- binge drinkers do care. Just don't say something real stupid to any sober parents that might be there...like...well you know- dumb drunken stuff that will embarrass your kids.
Speak for yourself. YOU are a binge drinker. I am not. I enjoy a glass of wine if offered, and don't if it's not. I'm sorry you can't handle your alcohol. I'm glad you know you can't and stay away from it.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
but I suspect that you are part of that mind set that believe the use of booze always enhances the moment and grants a good time...so why not have MORE fun by boozing...
Since this was in response to my post:

Does the "you" refer to me or to Americans as a whole? If it's me, you are very wrong. Laughably wrong. Sorry. I don't believe booze enhances the moment and I don't get my fun from boozing and never have. (I'm too cheap, number one.)

And I don't think that Americans as a whole believe booze "enhances the moment". We're still too puritanical to have that attitude I think. Or maybe I just don't know enough people with that attitude to believe that's true.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:49 PM

31 posts, read 33,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

Because it's a kid's birthday party...it's their day. I'm fine with alcohol served at a 4TH of July party, yes. But there is always that ONE, who becomes out -of -control and ruins the party...and a kid's party is not the time or place! I'm sure we all know someone like that in the family.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting