Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:26 PM

615 posts, read 1,693,297 times

Advertisements

My son has progressively gotten worse with lying. It has gotten to the point where I simply cannot believe anything he says. He lies about brushing his teeth, doing homework, everything. I feel like I have tried everything - removed all priviledges, writing lines, even spanking but we are not making any progress at all.

I feel like I need some creative ideas on how to deal with it effectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 04:28 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Are you a fan of torture, as i can recommend several devices of repute .

Old 04-23-2012, 04:29 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
My son has progressively gotten worse with lying. It has gotten to the point where I simply cannot believe anything he says. He lies about brushing his teeth, doing homework, everything. I feel like I have tried everything - removed all priviledges, writing lines, even spanking but we are not making any progress at all.

I feel like I need some creative ideas on how to deal with it effectively.
Have you considered a doctor? Because some people do have compulsions that center around lying. I.E. he might have a form of OCD.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:36 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,148,552 times
Is he lying to get attention?
I think this is likely a phase he is going through. Having a 9 year old myself I know what you're going through, but I also have a 14 y.o. and a 20 y.o. that I've raised/am raising.
I found that they often lie to get attention. So, for example, if you ask if he brushed his teeth and he says he did, do you ask him to open his mouth and check it? Then if he did not brush them, you can get the toothbrush and brush them yourself. Then tell him while you are brushing that "this is what babies get. Is he a baby? I thought you were a big boy. I don't like it when you don't tell me the truth. How would you like it if I never told you the truth? " Continue by saying that maybe Santa (if he still believes in him) will not bring him anything or promise to bring him something for Christmas but then he won't bring it. Go about your day pointing out how lying, not being truthful hurts.
Praise him when he is honest and truthful. I mean go out of your way with praise.
You need to nip this in the bud now, but I'm warning you, he/she will continue or get worse as the years go by.
If you nip it now, you will have taught him/her a valuable lesson about being honest.
I can't stress enough the over reinforcement of praise when honesty is found.
Good luck.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:43 PM

615 posts, read 1,693,297 times
I am also researching counselors in the area. I love his pediatrician but would like more of a child behaviorist MD as well. I am trying to nip this in the bud and I am also really trying to focus on positive reinforcement but it is so difficult when he lies yet again about what is very often stupid little things.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:50 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
I think most kids go through the lying phase. If it's all small stuff like tooth brushing, I don't think I'd worry to much about it. They are trying it out, seeing how far they can go, etc. My son did this for a while, also small things, and he is seriously the worlds worst liar on top of it. I praised honesty, and came down hard on lies.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:00 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
agree praise honesty and come down hard on lies.

but only you know your child's heart. He is 9 years old. so you should know, does he have a lying heart? if so your plan to get a behavioral MD is a good one. There may be other things going on. If not, then maybe a heart to heart talk will work - with little reminders when needed.

Good luck and love on him frequently

Old 04-23-2012, 05:05 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
What's with lying about brushing teeth? I think mine did that as well - around the same age.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:55 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,930 times
Stop spanking. That will not decrease the lying.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,236 times
I think you might want a behavioral PhD rather than MD. In general, psychiatrists (the MDs) prescribe meds; the psychologists (PhDs) use behavioral talk therapy to help with issues.

We caught our 8 year old in a big lie. For the initial infraction, we removed privileges for 2 weeks. We tacked on an additional 2 weeks for the lie, and explained that to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting