Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,384,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
Here's on of those things you'd never think were dangerous but apparently could (and does) result in a broken leg.

Well: At Playground, Child Plus Lap Can Equal Danger - NYTimes.com

Just passing it along...
It's kinda shocking to me - I've asked a few parents about this and many seemed to know someone that this happened to... I can see how it would happen though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,366,187 times
I was holding my two year old's hand one time, and she wanted to let go but we were near traffic, so I held tight while she struggled to let go. Ended up dislocating her elbow in an injury called nursemaid elbow. So everyone.... don't hold your children's hands!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:30 AM

22,420 posts, read 47,411,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Did it many times, all survived.
Us too.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:35 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,590,461 times
They really need to just remove all playgrounds entirely. If you think slides are bad, look at the statistics for swings or climing gyms.

Children should be kept inside where it is safe. Even without dangerous playground equipment, outside play is just too dangerous. Sports games are particularly dangerous. They must be eliminated. Running is probably the number one casue of injuries to youngsters. We need to eliminate running inside our outside. In fact, just keep all kids in a padded chair until they are ready to go out on their own that is the only way to keep them entirely safe.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:20 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,839,457 times
Try watching this show tonight

Bubble Wrap Kids

Episode Guide - Bubble Wrap Kids

Quote:
Even after 14 years of marriage, dad can't convince mom to let their kids have some freedom. Their 10-year-old daughter desperately wants a play date. Their 12-year-old son fights to ride his bike without being supervised. And they both want to play in the backyard without being monitored by walkie-talkie. Enter Lenore Skenazy, a parenting expert who helps parents shed their child-rearing fears.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:47 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,676,715 times
When I was about 9 I was at the playground and I used to play with the little kids so I asked this about 2yo's mom if they could ride down the slide with me she allowed it....it wasnt very pretty in the end, his leg got caught and broke and I never went back to that playground. I still feel horrible. :'( I couldnt imagine that happening to my baby.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:11 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,754,907 times
Alos do not forget to never let your child:

Drink out of the garden hose
Ride his/her bike
Eat the honeysuckle
Walk barefoot
Play in the rain
Climb a tree
Jump rope
Play hopscotch
Walk
Skip
Run
Swing on a swing
Be their own person
Leave the house

Raise a bubble wrapped robot. Awesome.

I will admit, I get nervous when I se my son in the tree and hanging upside down on the jungle gym, but that is because I have had injuries myself from those that were not fun, but they are still allowed to do it.

No one is going to take the joy out of going down a sliding board with my kids and hearing them laugh and bringing them joy. All my kids survived with no broken bones. I have always been careful of their legs and will continue to be with my 2 year old...though he likes to go bby himself now while we wait at the bottom.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:19 PM

2,730 posts, read 6,105,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
Alos do not forget to never let your child:

Drink out of the garden hose
Ride his/her bike
Eat the honeysuckle
Walk barefoot
Play in the rain
Climb a tree
Jump rope
Play hopscotch
Walk
Skip
Run
Swing on a swing
Be their own person
Leave the house

Raise a bubble wrapped robot. Awesome.

I will admit, I get nervous when I se my son in the tree and hanging upside down on the jungle gym, but that is because I have had injuries myself from those that were not fun, but they are still allowed to do it.

No one is going to take the joy out of going down a sliding board with my kids and hearing them laugh and bringing them joy. All my kids survived with no broken bones. I have always been careful of their legs and will continue to be with my 2 year old...though he likes to go bby himself now while we wait at the bottom.
A lot of people aren't because they wouldn't even think of something like this happening. I don't get why people are outraged by this warning. When my son goes down the slide he often puts his feet to the sides. If I had gone down with him in my lap the first time I would never have realized he might do that. I think the point is "watch their legs" not "keep your kids inside".

Old 04-25-2012, 12:24 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,625,050 times
I agree, Irish Eyes. I think an article that brings people's attention to potential danger is a far cry from banning slides and living a "bubble wrap" life. To me, the article posted was little more than a reminder to be careful.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,091,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southshorelady View Post
I think it would depend on the wideness of the slide. I've done it many times with my son. Of course I will think twice about doing it with my younger but I really don't see how it could happen on the slides we have around here. They're all built like water slides.
Read the article (or look at the video) again.

It's not the shape or width of the slide. The child's rubber-bottom shoe is causing friction which impedes forward motion.

Snap.

When we were kids we always had to take our shoes off on slides for this very reason. I had my kids do the same thing. (Besides fiction decreases speed. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting