Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:47 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,269,438 times

Advertisements

My son is a huge fan of the band Social Distortion. For those that are unfamiliar they are a punk rock band. Not crazy hardcore punk rock, but punk rock. He is 9 years old and I'm taking him to their concert tonight. It is an all ages show, but I keep feeling guilty like he's too young for this. Obviously I'll be with him at all times to protect him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 11:59 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,004,352 times
Ooohhhh! Fullerton's finest.

Be sure and get him a T-shirt.

(David Hidalgo's -the drummer- father is revered as one of the founders of Chicano rock. You'll be seeing second generation genius.)

Old 04-28-2012, 12:02 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,944,550 times
No age is too young for concerts.
I went to "kid" concerts when I was little.
And if it is an all ages concert then well 9 years old is included in that.
If he likes the music and listens to it at home then whats the difference if you take him to a concert? You'll be there with him.

I don't get why some parents are so leery about concerts. Yes, stuff goes on but a concert is what you make of it. If you just stay in your seats, go to the bathroom when needed and just focus on the music and having fun and no one else then you enjoy the concert for what it is, a band playing music for your enjoyment.

Nothing is what everyone else makes it, it is what YOU make of it.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Ooohhhh! Fullerton's finest.

Be sure and get him a T-shirt.

(David Hidalgo's -the drummer- father is revered as one of the founders of Chicano rock. You'll be seeing second generation genius.)
He'll be wearing his Mommy's Little Monster t-shirt proudly.

Yes, David Hidalgo and Los Lobos are legends. This will be my 5th time seeing Social D, but my son's first.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
No age is too young for concerts.
I went to "kid" concerts when I was little.
And if it is an all ages concert then well 9 years old is included in that.
If he likes the music and listens to it at home then whats the difference if you take him to a concert? You'll be there with him.

I don't get why some parents are so leery about concerts. Yes, stuff goes on but a concert is what you make of it. If you just stay in your seats, go to the bathroom when needed and just focus on the music and having fun and no one else then you enjoy the concert for what it is, a band playing music for your enjoyment.

Nothing is what everyone else makes it, it is what YOU make of it.
Well there won't be any "seats" to stay in. The concert is taking place at a bar that doubles as a "music venue", not an arena or concert hall. Most concerts are no big deal, but this is a punk rock show, and it is Social D. There will be a massive, energy-filled, mosh pit in the middle of the floor. We will stay away from dangerous stuff, but I'm more worried about the environment being ok for him.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,004,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Yes, David Hidalgo and Los Lobos are legends.
We used to see them when they were an East L.A. garage band playing for gas money and experience.

Have a great time tonight.

(You'll know if too much becomes TOO much.)

Old 04-28-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
We used to see them when they were an East L.A. garage band playing for gas money and experience.

Have a great time tonight.

(You'll know if too much becomes TOO much.)
Yeah I'm from Phoenix originally, so they came through town quite often, even in those early days.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:30 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,478,405 times
My husband used to be a professional musician and our kids go to concerts regularly. They are 5 and 7. I can't stand kiddie music shows but I like particularily outdoor concerts with kids. One thing to be careful of, some pop concerts that seem like they would be kid-friendly aren't. We have an acquaintance who was a dancer for the last Katy Perry tour and gave us tickets...our 7yr year likes her and we almost brought her. That would have been a BIG mistake, it was really inappropriate for kids.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:32 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,944,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Well there won't be any "seats" to stay in. The concert is taking place at a bar that doubles as a "music venue", not an arena or concert hall. Most concerts are no big deal, but this is a punk rock show, and it is Social D. There will be a massive, energy-filled, mosh pit in the middle of the floor. We will stay away from dangerous stuff, but I'm more worried about the environment being ok for him.
Well if its all ages expect other kids to be there too, yes their might be adults and yes they might be inappropriate but I do not believe in shielding kids, especially his age from stuff, it's a perfect teaching moment to be like "and this boys and girls is what you SHOULDN'T do." Kids should know right from wrong and be able to see the wrong and still not do it because they know better. It takes a strong person to not mimic the behavior of others.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:25 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,507,878 times
One recommendation would be to take along a pair of ear plugs, sometimes these shows can be very loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting