Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 07:26 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,941,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
Clearly a person (no matter if they are 6, 16 or 66) who says she's going to kill herself, which Kuberski did say, as the article above reported but yours conveniently does not, has some degree of depression and anxiety. I am not trying to prove a theory. Or even that my textbook is correct. However some people on this forum are clearly in denial about the psychology of childhood in this day and age.
You posted a snippet out of your class that states generation Z is all those things, because of X Y Z, and that was it. No facts, no proof, no numbers.

Previous generations have had to suffer through much worse decades than the 2000's. Kids, to me, in my laymans opinion, don't get depressed over world events and current affairs.

Which is what you're telling us is the case, according to your textbook, with the kids born in the 2000's.

You said "Apparently this generation is depressed". Well it's not apparent, to me, so if I'm mistaken fine - but it would be nice to have some facts.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:29 PM

485 posts, read 1,011,665 times
No, I never said "apparently this generation is depressed." My text says that, my professor says that, and I wonder what do parents say about that?

What I do say is that anything is possible, including the fact that my text may be correct.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:32 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I've never heard of self-entitlement. Is it different from plain old entitlement?

Old 04-28-2012, 07:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,745 times
I'll tell you what is depressing: the ignorance in this thread. My six-year-old is currently under care for anxiety and depression and severe eczema related to it. Trust me, it happens. Hope it doesn't happen to your kid.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:35 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Quote:
No, I never said "apparently this generation is depressed." My text says that, my professor says that, and I wonder what do parents say about that?

What I do say is that anything is possible, including the fact that my text may be correct.
It is very difficult to have a discussion based on something your text or your professor said when none of the rest of us are privy to the details, which is why I was asking you for the endnote citations. Without any way to examine your reported assertions ourselves, this is a lot of "well I heard." I don't have time right now, but I'll post the prevalence data for childhood anxiety and depression tomorrow. Pediatric anxiety and depression do occur, but they are not a widespread epidemic among the under 10 set, enough that it could be considered a fact that it defines a generation of children.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:39 PM

I will pose these questions tomy prof, who is a co-author of the text.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:51 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times
It's a part of the generation theory. Today's young children are being over-protected by society during a time of urgency. The same happened 80 years ago with the Silent generation. However, today's "Generation Z" are really called the Homeland generation. They are the generation of children born after 2004 and will continue to be born until the mid 2020s. According to the generation theory, they belong to the Artist archetype. When today's little kids enter young adulthood during the 2020s, the theorists say they will strike older adults as being "well-educated, well-behaved, risk averse and a bit naive." alike the Silent generation when they entered young adulthood during the 1950s http://www.lifecourse.com/about/method/where-we-are-today.html (broken link)

The typical Artist archetype is as followed...
-As ARTISTS replace Heroes in childhood during a Crisis, they are overprotected at a time of political convulsion and adult self-sacrifice.

-As conformist ARTISTS replace Heroes in young adulthood during a High, they become sensitive helpmates, lending their expertise and cooperation to an era of growing social calm.

-As indecisive ARTISTS replace Heroes in midlife during an Awakening, they apply expertise and process to improve society while calming the passions of the young.

-As empathic ARTISTS replace Heroes in elderhood during an Unraveling, they quicken the pace of social change, shunning the old order in favor of complexity and sensitivity.

http://fourthturning.com/html/archetypes_3.html (broken link)

If you want to know why things are happening the way they are, the Struass Howe generation theory explains it very well and they have been very accurate in their "predictions", especially when you consider the fact that they developed them in the 1990s.

Last edited by 90sman; 04-28-2012 at 08:00 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 07:54 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettycakes2 View Post
I'll tell you what is depressing: the ignorance in this thread. My six-year-old is currently under care for anxiety and depression and severe eczema related to it. Trust me, it happens. Hope it doesn't happen to your kid.
I'm sorry to hear that.

As I said earlier, I'm sure there are instances.

I hope you realize my skepticism is based apron the idea that the entire generation is depressed and anxious, and was not meant in anyway to diminish that it must be difficult for those who suffer.

Quote:

Your text is not correct. An entire generation IS NOT depressed and anxious.

Especially not an entire half a decade of 3 to 7 year olds.

You're asking parents of said generation to agree with you, and if they don't, you're insinuating that they're ignorant, or have their head in the sand. If this statement has any credence, beyond individual instances, then you need to back it up with some data.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:02 PM

My data is my textbook and my course work and my professors' lectures. I guess time will tell whether that data is correct (there is positive and negative evidence even in this thread). Meanwhile the marketers who guest lecture in my classes from major corporations are training on this data. You think they are delusional?

Old 04-28-2012, 08:07 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
My data is my textbook and my course work and my professors' lectures.
And I read all kinds of stuff on the internet. Just because somebody writes it, says it or prints it, doesn't make it fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting