Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 05:46 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
that is your opinion. nothing more. And AGAIN we're talking about young girls. I think the one in this story was 12. There is a difference between fitting right and being too tight.
Yes but if ANYONE is going to wear skinny jeans, they need to wear them right, they aren't suppose to look baggy and look terrible if you don't wear them appropriately, not matter the age.

Why get something that is suppose to be worn a certain way if you aren't going to wear it that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 05:51 PM

That is how skinny jeans should fit.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:56 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I don't get why so many women care what other guys are thinking.
So what if some guy has inappropriate thoughts about you? YOU can't hear his thoughts, you don't even know when it happens so why be so hung over something that doesn't directly affect you?
And why are you so hung up on telling people how to dress their children?

Why are you so hung up on telling people how THEIR jeans should fit?

Hell, why are you so hung up on posting in a PARENTING forum?

Old 05-02-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Yes but if ANYONE is going to wear skinny jeans, they need to wear them right, they aren't suppose to look baggy and look terrible if you don't wear them appropriately, not matter the age.

Why get something that is suppose to be worn a certain way if you aren't going to wear it that way?
Didnt you just get done telling people that they shouldn't care what anyone thinks and here you are telling them that what YOU think about what looks "terrible" matters. Kind of a hypocrite with playing the fashion police in one post and then telling people to be independent thinkers in another post of the same thread.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Didnt you just get done telling people that they shouldn't care what anyone thinks and here you are telling them that what YOU think about what looks "terrible" matters. Kind of a hypocrite with playing the fashion police in one post and then telling people to be independent thinkers in another post of the same thread.
There is a difference in not caring what others think and having your own style and not caring how you yourself looks and dressing like a slob.

If you like colorful skinny jeans and band teens by all means go ahead.
But if you're dressing like you don't give a damn about yourself then maybe you should care about YOURSELF a little bit more and dress like you give a damn about yourself.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:02 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
My 11yo is a huge fan of "skinny jeans", which is fine, however, she has a favorite pair that I beleive have gotten too tight. I have told her to wear her others, but she claims, "they are too big". Since she is still so young, I don't want to sexualize her and go on about how these favorites of her's are too tight and make her look too "mature". I want to throw them away when she's at school, but that doesn't feel right. The other day we were walking and she was ahead of me and I saw this little, creepy guy check her out. She wasn't wearing "those" jeans, but it made me sick. She is too young to be checked out. I needed to vent. How do you deal with tweens wanting to wear too tight clothes without making them self conscious.
Gimme it, I think you can make your dd aware of herself and her appearance without freaking her out or making her self conscious. But unless she's really busting out her pants or her butt crack or underwear are showing, I wouldn't worry about tight jeans. What I would do is bring it to her attention the way creeps stare at her.

I remember at around that age, 11, I was with my older sisters downtown and some creepy guy was saying something completely inappropriate to me. I don't remember exactly what he said, but I was young enough to not understand all of what he was saying. My sister, who was about 15, jumped all over the guy right there on the sidewalk. I remember her telling him, "Don't you EVER in your LIFE talk to my little sister like that again! She's only 11!" And I remember him looking completely ashamed of himself. I bet he never talked like that to another kid again! If I saw some guy staring down my little girl, I think I would do the same thing my sister did.

Bottom line, I do think all girls need to be aware of their bodies, their appearance, how much their showing, etc. It starts as tiny little things when we tell them how to sit with a dress on. Like it or not, clothing and appearance can draw the wrong kind of attention, and we don't want that.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Gimme it, I think you can make your dd aware of herself and her appearance without freaking her out or making her self conscious. But unless she's really busting out her pants or her butt crack or underwear are showing, I wouldn't worry about tight jeans. What I would do is bring it to her attention the way creeps stare at her.

I remember at around that age, 11, I was with my older sisters downtown and some creepy guy was saying something completely inappropriate to me. I don't remember exactly what he said, but I was young enough to not understand all of what he was saying. My sister, who was about 15, jumped all over the guy right there on the sidewalk. I remember her telling him, "Don't you EVER in your LIFE talk to my little sister like that again! She's only 11!" And I remember him looking completely ashamed of himself. I bet he never talked like that to another kid again! If I saw some guy staring down my little girl, I think I would do the same thing my sister did.

Bottom line, I do think all girls need to be aware of their bodies, their appearance, how much their showing, etc. It starts as tiny little things when we tell them how to sit with a dress on. Like it or not, clothing and appearance can draw the wrong kind of attention, and we don't want that.
People are going to stare, guys are going to be attracted to us.
We're one backasswards society, we change what we do and how we dress because some guy might THINK something about us that we don't like.
We can't control other peoples thoughts, yet we feel like we should be able to or that people are wrong for having their thoughts.

So what if some dude thinks some 16 year old girl is hot, big deal as long as he keeps his thoughts and his penis to himself what the hell does it matter?

Old 05-02-2012, 06:16 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,145 times
Quote:
People are going to stare, guys are going to be attracted to us.
We're one backasswards society, we change what we do and how we dress because some guy might THINK something about us that we don't like.
We can't control other peoples thoughts, yet we feel like we should be able to or that people are wrong for having their thoughts.

So what if some dude thinks some 16 year old girl is hot, big deal as long as he keeps his thoughts and his penis to himself what the hell does it matter?
I wasn't talking about "us." I was responding to a post about an 11 year old girl. I could give a damn less how a man stares at grown woman, and not concerned with any male's private thoughts. We are talking about our children, not fashion, not how much guys are attracted to "us," not what guys think about "us." Our CHILDREN.

Maybe you should take your thoughts to the fashion board. I don't think they quite fit in with this conversation.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:26 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
And why are you seriously paying THAT much attention to or caring what everyone else thinks?

Honestly I can walk into the mall and not even pay attention to ANYONE anythere, if anyone looked at me funny or any guy stared at me, I wouldn't know it, because I don't care enough about those peoples opinions to pay enough attention to them.

Sounds like too many people are worried about everyone else.
And it sounds like YOU are entirely too worried about what other people worry and care about. Truly, it's none of your business. We parents are discussing parenting things. As has already been mentioned, perhaps you need to go to a fashion thread and discuss your opinions there. This is not the "fashion" forum. This is a parenting forum. This is a thread, which is discussing what is and is not appropriate attire for children....and WHY said attire is NOT appropriate for children.

You don't have to care what anyone else thinks...don't have to care about other's opinions. Some of us DO care. If you claim to not care about what others think, why do you seem to care what WE think? You are constantly contradicting yourself. Why is that?

Old 05-02-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
There is a difference in not caring what others think and having your own style and not caring how you yourself looks and dressing like a slob.

If you like colorful skinny jeans and band teens by all means go ahead.
But if you're dressing like you don't give a damn about yourself then maybe you should care about YOURSELF a little bit more and dress like you give a damn about yourself.
Again, says YOU. Many people are not interested in dressing the way YOU say they should. And maybe you should follow a bit of your own advice and stop pretending anybody should give your opinion any weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting