Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 03:08 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,958,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually some do.

For a while my daughter was wearing guy's boxer shorts as shorts and they were fine.

And at that time Bermuda Shorts were no where to be found in the juniors departments -- I know because I took her shopping.
A 4 inch inseam is inappropriate but wearing mens underwear is fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Sure -- 4 inches for an inseam could be fine -- but not when the whole shorts is about 4 inches - 0 inseam.
Omg.
That white pair of shorts is where the 4 inch inseam started.
Someone said that a 4 inch inseam was for Hooters waitresses.....
The shorts are much longer than that if anyone care to look, the INSEAM is 4in not the whole short.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:21 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,809,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Someone said that a 4 inch inseam was for Hooters waitresses.....
Excuse me. *I* said that a 4" inseam would be considered "conservative" by Hooters' waitresses.

If you're a young girl or under 5' tall, a 4" inseam is probably fine; however, for grown women, 4" is not "conservative."

Old 05-06-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Excuse me. *I* said that a 4" inseam would be considered "conservative" by Hooters' waitresses.

If you're a young girl or under 5' tall, a 4" inseam is probably fine; however, for grown women, 4" is not "conservative."
I'm 5'3'' and thats pretty long on me.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Oh wait, we're not talking about grown women here, we're talking about young girls. Sorry wrong again.
Around 14-15 you're not fully grown yet.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:30 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,809,063 times
Quote:
Oh wait, we're not talking about grown women here, we're talking about young girls. Sorry wrong again.
Around 14-15 you're not fully grown yet.
In terms of height, yes, many girls are fully grown by the time they're 14 or 15.

Quote:
I think saying no shorts all together is overkill.
I mean, not all shorts are hoochie shorts, you can find some decent sized ones, especially since "midi" is super in right now.

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product...atId=cat380159

I just got these the other day and there is NO hanging out of them, they have a decent length, I think this would be pretty conservative enough.
Quote:
I don't work at hooters and I have those same shorts, they aren't hoochie Hooters shorts, have you seen hooters shorts? Those don't even have a 4in inseam, I'm pretty sure its like an inch.

Quote:
There's other colors too miss picky.
White ones, denim ones, 9in inseam, if that's not conservative then I must be a hooker. Bow chicka

Quote:
My shorts used to always be around mid-thigh which is around 4-6 inches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen
I'm 5'3'' and thats pretty long on me.

If we're not talking about grown women, then why have you continually inserted yourself into the conversation as an example?

Old 05-06-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
In terms of height, yes, many girls are fully grown by the time they're 14 or 15.

If we're not talking about grown women, then why have you continually inserted yourself into the conversation as an example?
I don't remember I think I was trying to defend the mistaken hooters comment and the fact that 4 inches is a decent length for shorts.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:27 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,249,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Not on my planet.

There seems to be a school of "thought" espoused by at least one poster on this thread that this is very normal and parents who do not get with the "teen **** program" will just breed little sneaks who will wear those trashy clothes anyway.

Not me. Not in my home. You see all money, one way or another comes from ME or MY HUSBAND.

Even if they are 18 have part time jobs or what ever.

There are standards in our family.

My husband does not run around without a shirt, I don't dress like Peg Bundy on that old show married with children, and my children also do not embarrass me or themselves - or to attract unnecessary attention.

It's entirely possible to be in charge of your home and of what your children wear while they live there. When they pay the mortgage we'll talk.

THAT's MY PLANET!
I don't think so i think teens test boundaries somewhat but really i haven't seen too many arguments over clothes unless you count underwear . More often there were usually battles with my friends makeup and their parents.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I don't think so i think teens test boundaries somewhat but really i haven't seen too many arguments over clothes unless you count underwear . More often there were usually battles with my friends makeup and their parents.
Clothes is a pretty big battle as well.
Luckily for my mom I was chunky in middle and high school and didn't want to wear those clothes, now that I have the body for them I do dress a little differently.

But clothes, make-up, and yes of course underwear are all some pretty big battles, they were in my house at least.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:33 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
Quote:
A 4 inch inseam is inappropriate but wearing mens underwear is fine?
Yes, boxers not briefs -- the boxers go up to the waist and have a 5 -6 inch inseam. Worn over underwear they are just like modest enough cotton shorts. But I wasn't talking about those shorts with a 4 inch inseam, I was talking about the style a few years ago where they were tight and maybe a 1 or 2 inch inseam and cut very very low at the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting