Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:15 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Wearing a lingerie top, and boyshorts to go to a under 21 club?

Moderator cut: Removing link, sorry. See my note below. Can we discuss in general terms and not have pics?
Ummmm dressed like a child prostitute? No friggin way. If I ever found out my 14-15 yr old daughter had gone out dressed that way, it would have been a long time before she went ANYwhere without an appropriate adult chaperone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 05:18 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,024,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Two pieces does not equal a bikini. There are some two pieces that are pretty decent.
While tankinis are pretty modest we still only purchase one piece suits. Our money, our prerogative.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
While tankinis are pretty modest we still only purchase one piece suits. Our money, our prerogative.
your daughter must not have my long-waistedness issue. I can't fit into a one piece to save my life. Thank goodness there are so many options now. Most of mine are tank tops and skirts or shorts.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Nope, we would not let our daughter leave the house like that. She's only eight now but she's going to have to wait until she's out of the house to dress that way if she chooses to. I won't even spend money buying her a bikini to wear to the beach, we only purchase one piece suits. That may seem overly strict to some but that's our prerogative.
Good, I'm not the only one who doesn't buy two piece suits. And for dance class, she either wears a full leotard or a tank top--no crop top--with booty shorts, but the booty shorts are for the dance studio only--must have pants or sweats over them when coming or going. Although I understand needing to see lines and movement and all that, you can see it just as well in a leotard. And even though two piece swimsuits, dancewear, costumes, etc. may look adorable and innocent to me, it's how they may look to the wrong person that I worry about.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Good, I'm not the only one who doesn't buy two piece suits. And for dance class, she either wears a full leotard or a tank top--no crop top--with booty shorts, but the booty shorts are for the dance studio only--must have pants or sweats over them when coming or going. Although I understand needing to see lines and movement and all that, you can see it just as well in a leotard. And even though two piece swimsuits, dancewear, costumes, etc. may look adorable and innocent to me, it's how they may look to the wrong person that I worry about.
Exactly!

Old 05-01-2012, 05:27 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
You don't have to go to an under 21 club to see scantily clad teens all you have to do is go to the mall, school, library, university, downtown, walmart, etc. etc. etc..........definitely NOT exclusive to under 21 clubs OR teens. Personally I am sick of seeing everyone else's everything, put some real clothes on already especially if you are going to be going to Office Depot or a "family" restaurant. I do not want to see your red plaid pajamas with cows on them or your light blue disney pajamas unless you are under the age of 4 and I am at your home visiting and it is your bed time.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:28 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Okay first off my dad would have told me to get back in the house and change or I would not be going anywhere and then he would nail my window shut litterally !! My dad is a big burly guy and you dont argue with him at all !!! now I raised two girls and neither one of them dressed like that ever !! Of course they did not want or like to dress like that most times I would find them in khakis and a t shirt and i thank god for that everyday .. Now in your case you need to put your foot down and be firm with her and tell her you either change or you are not going anywhere and do what you have to do to maintain control of the sittuation .Give me the good old days when kids were more worried about what their parents would do to them instead of the police ..
My parents not only would not have let me out the door wearing obscenely promiscuous clothing, but if I'd even attempted it, you can bet I wouldn't have been going at ALL. The simple stupid act of TRYING to leave the house dressed like that, would have shown my father EXACTLY where my head was at and WHY I shouldn't leave the house!

Clothes like that say, "I AM IN HEAT" I don't give a damn how anyone chooses to make excuses for going out like that, but that is exactly what those clothes say....and you can bet that every male animal within 10 miles is gonna smell that heat and start circling!

Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,485 times
Reminds me of a shopping trip to the mall with my 13-year-old last weekend.

She's at that awkward stage where she doesn't want to wear little girl dresses, but adult-size dresses aren't quite fashionable enough. So, I knew I'd have trouble finding something suitable for her to wear to her cousins Holy Communion Mass and brunch next weekend.

We hit every tween and teen store at our local mall (we live in Vermont so it's not like we have the best selection of the latest fashions). Anyway, most of the clothing looked like something a prostitute would wear.

There were thigh-high spandex mini dresses, see through tops, tummy revealing tops, camisoles that looked like sexy lingerie, lots of sequins and lace and lots of dresses with revealing cutout designs. We left empty handed.

Luckily a mom from our church let my daughter borrow a sundress from her daughter that was fashionable enough for my daughter and modest enough for me. She got it from Target, which we don't have in Vermont (no, I'm not kidding. We're the only state without a single Target).

Who is designing these trampy teen/tween clothes and what kind of parents are allowing their daughters to wear them? It's really appalling.

Last edited by LisaMc46; 05-01-2012 at 05:41 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 05:31 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,277,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
My point was though, that there are things which people feel are inappropriate but have nothing to do with whether the child in question is trustworthy (which was what several posters were arguing regarding coed sleepovers). This was an example of that.
Except a girl at 14 wearing this is doing it for the reason of attracting attention. The problem is at that age the attention they attract is probably not going to be friendly boys looking for a chat. I've been to clubs like these, and you always have skeezy 18-21 year old guys hanging around looking to pick up middle school chicks. An adult is going to have a better head on her shoulders on how to handle guys like that. But a young girl craving male attention,excited that an older guy is taking notice of her not so much.

Anyway i didn't argue over that fact the daughter being trustworthy really had anything to do with sleepovers. Just that stopping a party after a certain time was not going to ensure stupidity didn't happen.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Reminds me of a shopping trip to the mall with my 13-year-old last weekend.

She's at that awkward stage where she doesn't want to wear little girl dresses, but adult-size dresses aren't quite fashionable. So, I knew I'd have trouble finding something suitable for her to wear to her cousins Holy Communion Mass and brunch next weekend.

We hit every tween and teen store at our local mall (we live in Vermont so it's not like we have the best selection of the latest fashions). Anyway, most of the clothing looked like something a prostitute would wear.

There were thigh-high spandex mini dresses, see through tops, tummy revealing tops, camisoles that looked like sexy lingerie, lots of sequins and lace and lots of dresses with revealing cutout designs. We left empty handed.

Luckily a mom from our church let my daughter borrow a sundress from her daughter that was fashionable enough for my daughter and modest enough for me. She got it from Target, which we don't have in Vermont (no, I'm not kidding. We're the only state without a single Target).

Who is designing these trampy teen/tween clothes and what kind of parents are allowing their daughters to wear them? It's really appalling.
I have a hard time finding decent clothes for my 8yo so I feel your pain! My daughter doesn't need short shorts, halter tops, writing across the butt, etc. She doesn't dress like Laura Ingalls but it's so hard to find her some regular clothes at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting