Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 08:52 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
My parents have helped my sister financially more than me. I think the logic has something to do with the fact that I was married and she wasn't...sexist but I think that was the idea.

It bugs me, but I'm a grown up and I realize that it's their money and they can do what they like with it. I don't have any right to my parents wealth.
It's not sexist if you have a dual income and she has a single income. It's simple economics.

God, people are so greedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It's not sexist if you have a dual income and she has a single income. It's simple economics.

God, people are so greedy.
Is that really it? Greed?

No, I don't believe it is. You see, in giving we tell something about how we feel about others. So, when you constantly give to one child over the others it really speaks volumes about who you care about, who you feel deserves help, etc.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Is that really it? Greed?

No, I don't believe it is. You see, in giving we tell something about how we feel about others. So, when you constantly give to one child over the others it really speaks volumes about who you care about, who you feel deserves help, etc.
Absolutely false . . .most parents give based on need. The greedy narcissistic "child" will never be able to get that, though.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
in my own life experience parents were not responsible for college education and auto purchases, we were.
that was under the old system. under the new system the parents "owe them" all of the above and much much more.
how did that happen?

Old 05-04-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
in my own life experience parents were not responsible for college education and auto purchases, we were.
that was under the old system. under the new system the parents "owe them" all of the above and much much more.
how did that happen?
I think it started with SAHM's becoming slaves (assistants) to their kids - and I think from there, it morphed into "owing" them . . .it is not healthy and creates Puers (Peter Pans) and Wendys . . .

Old 05-04-2012, 09:13 PM

560 posts, read 540,116 times
I was recently told by my father who just revised his will with his wife, my stepmother saying I'll be left the bulk of cash assets while they leave equal lower cash asset to my stepmother's 4 siblings. In addition, they own a company as shareholders and a restaurant, which they'll be leaving to my step uncle and their chef who is their business partner. I'm perfectly fine with that, as have told them I've no desire to inherit their restaurant business, because I have no clue how to run it. I'm busy raising my OWN family, no whatever they do with their business assets is theirs.

Interestingly enough, they took out two separate life insurance policies; stepmom will leave hers to her siblings and my father's life insurance to me. IMO, it's a pretty well thought out estate planning. I feel no resentment since my father helped alot throughout my childhood by supporting my mother and all of my schooling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2be1053 View Post
I was recently told by my father who just revised his will with his wife, my stepmother saying I'll be left the bulk of cash assets while they leave equal lower cash asset to my stepmother's 4 siblings. In addition, they own a company as shareholders and a restaurant, which they'll be leaving to my step uncle and their chef who is their business partner. I'm perfectly fine with that, as have told them I've no desire to inherit their restaurant business, because I have no clue how to run it. I'm busy raising my OWN family, no whatever they do with their business assets is theirs.

Interestingly enough, they took out two separate life insurance policies; stepmom will leave hers to her siblings and my father's life insurance to me. IMO, it's a pretty well thought out estate planning. I feel no resentment since my father helped alot throughout my childhood by supporting my mother and all of my schooling.

wonder what they would do if they had children together which I'm assuming they did not?

Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
i noticed and it says a lot.

but it really doesn't matter too much in the end, and they did what they thought was right. i just try to stay out of the drama.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:19 PM

560 posts, read 540,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
wonder what they would do if they had children together which I'm assuming they did not?
Good question. Knowing them, it'll be done the same way which means my cash assets will be less since it'll also be left to their children and most probably the restaurant business to them. As it is, it will be left to their partner and my stepmom's youngest brother who is very involved in their restaurant. To be honest, I'm not sure why my step uncles/aunts will be left a large chuck of their estate, as my stepmom's siblings didn't really help them. They are all adults with kids of varying ages from 18 to 25 years old.....so pretty established I would think, but since it IS my stepmom and father's money which they worked extremely hard for 40 plus years, they're well in their right to deem what to do with their estate/money. Now, if only my own mother understand that, it's a whole nother story!

No hard feelings by me for reasons stated in my original posting. It's like your older step-children in the way they had a lot of help financially in their earlier pre established years. I'm of the same boat too in my own circumstances, as am married with good solid income, retirement funds and excellent stocks for liquidity nowadays.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:42 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Well, I just bought a home with a bedroom for each child of pretty much equal size. I told each one of them if they ever need a place, they will have their room. That is what they get, so it's pretty equal. Reading through this thread makes me glad I don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars to help out any of them. It would be a tough call.
I guess my help is even steven, except maybe by a few inches. lol
I told them all they better make more money than we do unless they want to be around me when it's adult diaper changin time.
My mom gave me a gift because she lives with me and I take care of her. That is the deal in our family. The one appointed to take care of gma gets a gift to help out. It takes the fear out of it a bit.
Good luck to you all, sounds rough.
My money, what ever I have, will go to the brave, or broke child who cares for me, they will get paid for fetching my meds and taking me to the doc, mowing the lawn, etc. If none of them choose the option then it goes to the home, so they can do it. That's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting