Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:21 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Drug use often goes along with wealth, too. My schools were very poor, and those schools usually have fewer drug problems than places that are wealthier. In these schools it's also often true that many kids choose to play sports in order to stay out of trouble. It isn't always the parents who think that way, and that's another reason why our athletes were not the druggies that other people claim was true at their schools.
Actually poorer areas tend to have higher levels of drug problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It must have been weak pot to have zero effect on you.

Usually being completely stoned all the time and under the influence of alcohol really does have an effect on someone.

For your mother not to know, she must not have been able to detect the smell of cigarette smoke, alcohol on the breath, or know how pot smells. Not to mention the changes drugs make on one. I can walk into a house and tell if people smoke in it even if they aren't smoking at the moment, but I can tell if they have cats also.

People use drugs and alcohol to get the effect they give, you can usually spot that effect if you're at all observant.

I do know that drug use at the schools here is very very prevalent, to the point that kids are dealing drugs at school, and smoking pot during lunch hour -- my kids tell me it's bad.

Some varieties of marijuana are fairly odorless. Though i did go to a concert with a friend a few years back and she asked what the smell was .

Last edited by ~HecateWhisperCat~; 05-09-2012 at 07:42 AM..

Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,025 times
I lived and went to middle school and high school in a very high income area, and can attest to the fact that 'rich kids' do drugs too. On an offtopic, we had no pregnancies, suicides, or even fights-- I thought this was interesting after hearing so many other's experiences and even reading on this board. Not sure that correlates with wealth or not though.

I graduated in 2004. In 7th, 8th grades, we had the few "dirty" smokers, as we called them, but it definitely wasn't the norm and smoking was taboo... not sure many people drank though.

High school a lot changed.

Smoking tobacco was still very much taboo, throughout high school and even now in adulthood, so most people didn't (and still don't from what I see on FB) smoke. We did have a "Smoker's Corner" though near the street where the smokers hung out.

Kids drank, A LOT. I still remember in freshman year seeing a girl who I went to middle school with who used to be very "goody two shoes" and her showing me the bottle cap imprint in her hand from opening so many beers. Kids in my high school drank a lot and often-- lots of keggars and big house parties. Think the house party in movies like those teen movies-- my high school was very much like that.

Drugs were also pretty prevalent. It was in Canada, so almost every smoked weed; it was almost as common as drinking (almost). That started right in high school too. In the first 2 years of high school, I recall more weed and maybe kids doing mushrooms. Apparently the "bad kids" did Special K. Never saw that firsthand though. As we got older, I think the weed smokers stayed the same, but apparently the "bad kids" had moved on to things like ecstacy. Never saw cocaine usage or anything that hard though (not to say it didn't happen, but if it did, I didn't know).

Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
I grew up in a dry county in Kentucky so I didnt see anyone drink til college.

I have a 7 yr old now....so do worry about what he will see when he gets older where I live now. Drinking in high school is much more accepted it seems where I live....smoking not... I dont know about other drugs as I dont see them.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:30 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
I posted earlier about my drug use in high school. I grew up in a wealthy suburb (one of the wealthiest in North America) and went to private school with a bunch of rich kids. My parents certainly knew what pot smelled like but I kept changes of clothes with me and we smoked outside even in the winter so they never knew. My parents really did do their best, my Dad waited up for me every night I went out in high school and would interview me when I got home. He probably prevented me from being a lot worse than I was because I knew I had to go talk to Dad when I got home.

My husband grew up in a middle class area and went to public school and outside of the occasional beer at a party, he never tried anything illegal until college.

So much of drug and alcohol use is personality. I was quiet and popular enough but always attracted to troublemakers, always looking for something more exciting. My parents used to joke that I was a really well-behaved kid in elementary school but I always brought home the worst kid in the class for playdates. They were just more interesting I guess.

I have a great family and ultimately it is probably what saved me from being a disaster but even to this day I'm always attracted to people who are a little more exciting than I am, although no longer drug and alcohol abusers.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:28 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Actually poorer areas tend to have higher levels of drug problems.

Wealthier areas usually have very high drug use among teens. It tends to get covered up, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting