Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:37 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

Txt, I don't know if you are being purposely daft, but the point is not IF the head injury will happen. IT WILL HAPPEN. Guarantee. It is not about playing it safe just in case. It is a guaranteed bad outcome. What is so hard to understand about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 12:22 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Football, by design, will cause some level of brain damage to everyone who plays it.
Everyone?

Every single one?

Old 05-06-2012, 01:58 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
No football in this family. My oldest son experienced a traumatic brain injury when he was fairly young, and his pediatric neurologist very strongly advised against all contact sports to reduce the risk of further damage. Fortunately, he took well to competitive swimming, and my other kids followed suit.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:37 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Here is a lot of information and statistics on sport-related head injuries:

AANS - Sports-related Head Injury

Old 05-06-2012, 10:01 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,071,854 times
I played football through college, and if my son wants to, we will allow him to try out. I think the most important thing is we have so much more information now, than we did 5, 10, 15 years ago. I'm only 30, but when it came to concussions, we got the standard "how many fingers am I holding up" questions. I think now, we have a much better understanding of how to deal with them, and schools will be doing a much better job implementing rules when kids get them. I think provides a lot of benefits, and I don't want to deprive my kid of the opportunity if he wants to play.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:37 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Well, my father was a football player, loved it! Died a slow horrid death from Alzheimer's in his early 70's. It started in his late 60's. He also suffered an Aneurysm before that. I clearly think if it was me, and I loved something a lot that I was already doing, maybe I'd take that chance, but my son, no way. He can't grow up loving or missing what he doesn't do yet. I'll skip it.

No contact sports for my group. There are plenty of sports that are good for you, and just as rewarding. Why would I take the chance? It's just a game.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:25 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Everyone?

Every single one?
Every single one will have repetitive sub-concussive hits.
Almost all of them will have actual concussions over the course of their football career.

Do you want to play roulette with figuring out how many it took to create noticeable brain damage?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
The Atlantic has an article that may be of interest given the topic under discussion...

The Warm Roar and Bottomless Sadness of Brain Injury

Quote:
I took a soccer ball to the face in February. After the initial dizziness and the warm roar behind my forehead came a wave of bottomless sadness unlike anything I'd ever felt before. As my teammates kept playing, I sat groggily on the bench and decided that the manner in which I'd been hurt, arriving late to a defensive play in my team's own end, perfectly embodied all the failings of my adult life: I had no discipline, no foresight; my life goals were all pipe dreams that laziness had let slip away; I couldn't ever truly love the people around me. I mentioned a bit of this to the ER docs that night, and they said yes, that's one of the symptoms, it'll pass.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:30 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
That is what is most worrying to me, and as I posted earlier in the thread the average adolescent football player will have 650 sub-concussive hits per season. The current research indicates these are the hits that result in damage over a lifetime.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:30 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Almost all of them will have actual concussions over the course of their football career.

Do you want to play roulette with figuring out how many it took to create noticeable brain damage?
What age group are you talking about? My son played football for 4 years (youth sports, prior to high school). Never once got a concussion. Even close. Now basketball......

That said, I was relieved he chose to not play high school football, but glad he experienced playing at some level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting