Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 03:56 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
One of the articles mentioned legislating a device that would trigger an alarm if the increased weight in the backseat was not removed after the car was turned off. (Similar to the device that turns off the passenger side air bag if someone weighing under a certain weight is in the front seat, or if nobody is sitting in the front seat.) I know we wouldn't want one going off for a stack of books in the backseat or whatever, but maybe something connected to the seat buckles--i.e., something was buckled in but not removed.
Yea, that's what I'm thinking or else how would someone in a hurry, maybe on new meds or who knows, how would they know? They obviously need a reminder of some kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 04:13 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But if you read the article entirely, you'd understand that it isn't merely a matter of forgetting. In their minds, the parents think that they dropped off their child at daycare/the babysitter's. The author even said that several of the parents, including one woman who was at the trial of the man featured at the beginning, actually drove to the daycare at the end of the day to pick up their child, unaware that they had a dead baby in the back seat.

Have you never thought you did something already only to realize later that you hadn't? It's got nothing to do with what is important or not. It's the way the mind works.
Well, I didn't mean what you think. I should've been a bit clearer. Sorry, I was talking about the added pressures moms and dads have now. Plus health issues, economy. It can rattle the mind and make you take on to much sometimes. We take a lot more meds for depression, pain, etc which can make you more forgetful, not feel the same while they kick in. That kind of thing. A lot more families have a two income household. Which can just add to confusion sometimes. We could use some added protection to go along with it.

That is why I'm thinking an alarm or something so that these people won't have to live through this horror. I can't imagine killing my kid. Nothing worse than that. I think anyone would agree with some added protection in this area. The seat belt alarm is a good idea. If you have a seat belt on when opening the car door an alarm or voice can alert you. Geez, I bet that would save several if not more kids a year at least.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:13 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Well, I didn't mean what you think. I should've been a bit clearer. Sorry, I was talking about the added pressures moms and dads have now. Plus health issues, economy. It can rattle the mind and make you take on to much sometimes. We take a lot more meds for depression, pain, etc which can make you more forgetful, not feel the same while they kick in. That kind of thing. A lot more families have a two income household. Which can just add to confusion sometimes. We could use some added protection to go along with it.

That is why I'm thinking an alarm or something so that these people won't have to live through this horror. I can't imagine killing my kid. Nothing worse than that. I think anyone would agree with some added protection in this area. The seat belt alarm is a good idea. If you have a seat belt on when opening the car door an alarm or voice can alert you. Geez, I bet that would save several if not more kids a year at least.
OK, sorry if I misunderstood. I can understand the father who wrestled for the gun of the cop who showed up from the 911 call. I think my first reaction would be my own suicide, too. If those alarm systems would help, they should be made available.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You think we should prosecute true accidents just in case someone else gets a bee in their bonnet about killing their child on purpose? Sorry, that's not how our justice system works. Thank heavens.
I don't think that "forgetting" your child in the car is an accident. A parent has ONE job...that job is taking care of their child. I don't buy that it could happen to "anyone". I have 100% certainty that it would NEVER have happened to me.

An accident is something over which I have no control. Getting t-boned by a drunk driver is an accident. Slipping on a wet floor in a restaurant and dropping your baby is an accident. Getting bit by a dog at a park is an accident. Forgetting the most important person in the world to me in a locked car is not an accident. It's neglect.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:10 PM

664 posts, read 773,642 times
Are people leaping out of their cars and not once looking back at them again? I just don't understand how it's possible to forget about a living being in the back of a car. I've never once ever been so preoccupied that I didn't make sure the car was empty when I closed the door. I don't care how busy you are, what events or routines have changed, people who leave their pets or kids in the car to die should be locked up.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:25 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I agree that accidents happen, and this is all very sad. BUT. Parents who leave their kids in the car, and the kids die, should be punished for child abuse/manslaughter just like parents who kill their children under other circumstances. Why? Because I can see how parents who want to abuse their children could lock their kids in their car and walk away, knowing they'd just get a slap on the wrist. That worries me.
Goodness. Our justice system is partially based on intent. I can assure you after hearing and seeing the difference in cases, first-hand, where parents purposefully hurt or killed their children -- things that I would hesitate to ever repeat to another parent -- I thank God and the stars that there IS a difference and, in part, there is MUCH consideration for 'accidents' or 'intent'.

A great example would be the staggering number of children who fall out of windows every year and are seriously injured or the 15-20 a year that die. Do we prosecute each parent for because they only had window screens and they failed to have extra locks on their windows or window child protection guards?

Quote:
I don't think that "forgetting" your child in the car is an accident. A parent has ONE job...that job is taking care of their child. I don't buy that it could happen to "anyone". I have 100% certainty that it would NEVER have happened to me.

An accident is something over which I have no control. Getting t-boned by a drunk driver is an accident. Slipping on a wet floor in a restaurant and dropping your baby is an accident. Getting bit by a dog at a park is an accident. Forgetting the most important person in the world to me in a locked car is not an accident. It's neglect.
Your definition of comparison of what an 'accident' is is flawed; dropping your baby would NOT be an accident, at least how you defined it: An accident is something over which I have no control.

You have control over your grasp on your baby. You have control of the steps your feet take.

Last edited by Idlewile; 05-14-2012 at 09:48 PM..

Old 05-14-2012, 09:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
I have 100% certainty that it would NEVER have happened to me.
I truly hope you remain the perfect parent.

Personally, I know I am human. I fail. I am subject to mistakes and, yes, accidents. I cannot imagine judging someone who has gone through this.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:45 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I started this thread and I have reread all the posts several times. It has certainly been an eye opening experience for me. I think I am a bit more open minded about how such a tragedy could happen to anybody- even the ones of us who say it would NEVER HAPPEN TO ME.

This is the sort of thing which happens only to the other guy. Well there sure are a lot of other guys in this world. I am going to do some more research on how "punishment" is handled in these situations. How horrible to be responsible for the death of one child and then be put away in prison and not be able to care of any other you may have at home.

I'm not so sure this happens to what a lot of us what to think are irresponsible parents. Some may be but now I can certainly understand how some circumstances can lead to a person completely forgetting about a quiet child in the back seat.

I don't usually change my mind about something like this but today I have. I feel I have grown in some way because of this discussion. Thank you all for your input.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:39 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:

Did you read the articles posted?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:57 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I truly hope you remain the perfect parent.

Personally, I know I am human. I fail. I am subject to mistakes and, yes, accidents. I cannot imagine judging someone who has gone through this.
I'm far from perfect. I do however put my kids as my #1 priority. I don't forget them. I'm sorry, but that's child neglect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting