Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 07:23 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,894,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Shettels himself did not write about that or discover it. He did infer certain things and wrote about circumstances surrounding conception that caused me to draw some inferences that would appear to have some validity to anyone with an open mind.

I'd be happy to share them but I don't want to do so if everyone wants to attack or ridicule my observations.
Oh, I have no problem if you're just having fun with a theory of your own devising. Some of the earlier posts just sounded like they were based in research, which was confusing. I am no expert in gender selection, although I know a fair amount about personality research, so I'm always skeptical when assertions are made about personality traits predicting x, y, and z. But if it's all in fun and to be taken as opinion, I'm all ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 07:26 PM

23,899 posts, read 32,210,946 times
I said that some was based on research (after being grilled about it) and I freely admitted that some was anecdotal.

I was not deceptive.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:28 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,894,033 times
Quote:
I said that some was based on research (after being grilled about it) and I freely admitted that some was anecdotal.

I was not deceptive.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were being deceptive, it was just confusing.

So, what about families with both genders? How does that fit in your model?

Old 05-11-2012, 07:34 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,518,721 times
Quote:
Please link to the source, thanks.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,666,139 times
I think it's ridiculous, and sexist, to assume that just because presidents have had daughters, their wives were weak, spineless inorgasmic wet dishrags waiting for daddy dearest to command them to spread their legs.

Most of those presidents had wives with more solid backbones than they had. And "yet" - they produced daughters.

That's what I think. And I didn't post a single personal anecdote.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:12 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,369,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Please link to the source, thanks.
That's all I am asking for as well. If it's just fun speculation, then great! But the initial post made it seem like there was some empirical data to support the assertion made by the OP that personality influences the sex of one's children.

For the record, I don't fit the model. I'm the dominant female, and dh is ... well... not. lol We have two daughters. My brother doesn't fit it either. He was pretty whipped by his ex wife. They have two daughters. On the other hand, I know someone with 3 sons, and she is a very dominant type,..... but so is her (now ex) husband. I'm not sure which of the two were more dominant, and that probably had something to do with the fact that he's an ex. My point is that for every couple you find that supports the assertion, there is another that doesn't. So I fail to see the correlation, let alone a causal effect.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:15 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,227,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I read a LOT of biographies of U.S. presidents.

Not one of them has ever said a word about whether or not their mother had orgasms. (That's something I'd make note of.) Sorry. Research is incomplete.
~spits out Kahlua~

Old 05-11-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
As the mother of 3 boys, I agree with your theory!

Also, I run our town's soccer program, and I swear the worst coaches, in terms of being too competitive and taking the fun out the game, are fathers to all girls.
You know my brothers played t ball and the fathers and mothers are just as bad to their sons .

Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I got a kick out of this theory. As the mother of three boys, I saw myself pretty well described, but my DH is anything but passive.

And, Eresh is correct. The father determines the sex of the child.
I don't know it's increasingly begining to be believed that determination of the gender might be more complex then we thought out. Can A Pregnant Woman's Diet Affect Baby's Sex? : NPR. I've also seen studies showing women with higher veg and grain intake more likely to have girls.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Presidents regardless of their political points of view all share one thing in common - an unquenchable thirst for power.

Not ALL presidents have daughters, but a preponderance of them do. Two termers seem to have more daughters.

Obama 2 daughters
George W. Bush - 2 daughters
Clinton - one daughter
George Bush - mixed. 4 boys 2 girls
Ronald Regan - 2 daughters 1 son
Jimmy Carter- 3 sons 1 daughter
Gerald Ford - 1 girl 3 boys
Richard Nixon- 2 daughters
Lyndon B. Johnson - 2 daughters

That's as far back as I can remember. Out of the past nine presidencies, five presidents produced only daughters.

Two term presidents - GW Bush, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Bill Clinton were daughter only families. The only 2 term prez with a son was Ronald Reagan.

Statistically, there should be 51% boys and 49 % girls. (slightly more live births are male)

Presidents are not the only power driven people. I have seen this pattern among the very wealthy, successful doctors, lawyers, business professionals etc.

Others with whom I have shared this, including several doctors who I worked with when I was a nurse, agreed.
teddy roosevelt-4 sons 2 daughters 2 terms
franklin roosevelt-5 sons 1 daughter 4 terms
herbert hoover-2 sons
calvin coolidge-2 sons 2 terms
william taft- 2 sons 1 daughter 2 terms
chester a arthur -2 sons 1 daughter.
dwight eisenhower-2 sons 2 terms
james garfield-5 sons 2 daughters
abraham lincoln-4 sons 2 terms
john kennedy-2 sons 1 daughter ~likely second term~

so your theory was?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting