Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 03:20 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,427 times

Advertisements

Every so often we hear of a parent whose birthday was forgotten, Father's Day/ Mother's Day is forgotten etc. The DIL is the who is blamed and the son is let off. Why is that? It seems that if we socialized boys to be close to their families and accepted the fact that they have different priorities once they move out, most of the MIL/DIL problems won't exist. I'm a man so I really don't understand why there is a conflict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 04:01 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,885 times
I think it's because in most families it's the women who keep everyone connected. So, if MIL doesn't get a card, she blames DIL because she is the one who should remind husband.

I don't believe in this myself, but this is what my Mom said to me when I asked her why I was always reminding my husband to call his Mom, Grandma, daughters etc..

Old 05-12-2012, 04:03 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
If my birthday is not acknowledged, trust me, it isn't my DIL I will be ticked at. My brothers handle all the correspondence for our side of the family, so I expect the same from my sons. I'm pretty low maintenance though, a phone call will suffice.

I admit to sending reminders to the boys though. Their grandmother's birthday was this past week, and they all got a text message letting them know the date, and her cell #. I will do the same for my husband's birthday. I don't necessarily expect them to be on top of the dates, just to act once they get the reminder.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:16 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
I don't really fully understand it either. My DH grew up with his family and has stronger ties with them then I do. I feel that he is an adult and that he can handle his relationships with them on his own. I do remind him of birthdays, etc. but I still get blamed if we aren't somehow living up to their unstated expectations. It's a frustrating position to be in.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:19 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,885 times
Sound like his family has the same mentality as my Mom. I don't get it either. I'm not my husband keeper and if he doesn't want to call his mom, who am I to make him?

Old 05-12-2012, 11:10 PM

652 posts, read 1,052,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Every so often we hear of a parent whose birthday was forgotten, Father's Day/ Mother's Day is forgotten etc. The DIL is the who is blamed and the son is let off. Why is that? It seems that if we socialized boys to be close to their families and accepted the fact that they have different priorities once they move out, most of the MIL/DIL problems won't exist. I'm a man so I really don't understand why there is a conflict.
It isn't /wasn't this way in our family.

That being said, MIL didn't really allow anyone to forget about Mother's Day and Father's Day....as it was practically mandatory to attend the gatherings they had on those days....never mind if you wanted to make plans with your own side of the family.

MIL/DIL problems go deeper than just a forgotten bday card. In my own experiences, I got along with MIL as long as I acted in such a way she agreed with. If I ever wanted to assert myself or say no to something...then there was trouble.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:55 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,427 times
We don't have that problem in my family. I did a decent job of keeping in touch with my family. All of my kids do, at least with me. I've found that no news is good news.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:27 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
My mother says "You know how boys are." She has two sets of rules, one for the girls and another for the boy....WTH!

Old 05-13-2012, 03:30 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
I would remind my husband to be good to his mother when we were first married. I don't anymore. I don't need to. He went and grew up.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
My mother says "You know how boys are." She has two sets of rules, one for the girls and another for the boy....WTH!
My mother-in-law is of that philosophy as well. She feels it is the woman's responsibility. Fortunately for her, I get her birthday/mother's day cards because I want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting