Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 03:24 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Called my grandmother today....
She says when DB and I get there she wants us to go to Wednesday service at her church, they do some sort of meal.
Uh crap.
She thinks it'll be nice and well meet great people.

I was hoping to avoid this, looks like its going to be harder than I thought.
I don't want to go to church or befriend people who do go to church, I have nothing in common with them.

I don't know how to get out of this one.
You only want to befriend those who think exactly like you? How short-sided. I have friends who are different religions than I, atheists, different political persuasions (to a huge degree), different ages than I, etc.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:30 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Is your grandmother making it possible for the move? Are you living on her property?

You don't need to be disrespectful. Go once. Put a smile on your face. Meet some people and eat a meal. It won't kill you and it will make her very happy.

I'm an atheist but I do know sometimes to avoid hurting feelings you have to grin and bear certain things.

If after going this once for her sake she keeps pressuring you to keep going then just politely decline, say it's not your thing but you appreciate her caring.

If this is going to be some big issue for you and you think it will be for her, then like Mattie said, you may want to rethink going. Don't start off with a chip on your shoulder. And open your mind to not think that you only want to be around other atheist. That's pretty narrow thinking. Being around others of different beliefs does not mean you have to agree with them, or even talk about religion.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:57 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
You only want to befriend those who think exactly like you? How short-sided. I have friends who are different religions than I, atheists, different political persuasions (to a huge degree), different ages than I, etc.
No I have some friends who believe in god but people from the south are a different type of pushy religious that's annoying.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:13 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
No I have some friends who believe in god but people from the south are a different type of pushy religious that's annoying.
Again, are you sure this move is a good idea? These people will be your neighbors, employers and social contacts. I am in the south, and have managed to sidestep the evangelists, but I am also close to a major city, and there are lots of transplants here. If the area you are moving to is rural, you may be considered an outcast.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Again, are you sure this move is a good idea? These people will be your neighbors, employers and social contacts. I am in the south, and have managed to sidestep the evangelists, but I am also close to a major city, and there are lots of transplants here. If the area you are moving to is rural, you may be considered an outcast.
Yes. It'll be fine. They don't need to know my personal beliefs, hence why I don't want to get involved with anyone from a church, ill meet people my own age in places why people like me hang out.

They can judge me all they want, but when they see I work, pay my bills, keep my nose clean and have cute little family get togetherness where I live they will see that I don't need religion to be a good person.

If they want to stay away from me because the length of my shorts or the fact that I live with my boyfriend its their loss, cause I'm pretty cool.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:16 PM

Get together*
Stupid iPhone keyboard.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:25 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Yes. It'll be fine. They don't need to know my personal beliefs, hence why I don't want to get involved with anyone from a church, ill meet people my own age in places why people like me hang out.

They can judge me all they want, but when they see I work, pay my bills, keep my nose clean and have cute little family get togetherness where I live they will see that I don't need religion to be a good person.

If they want to stay away from me because the length of my shorts or the fact that I live with my boyfriend its their loss, cause I'm pretty cool.
Txt, having read what you say about being an atheist and not being married to DB, I would suggest that a rural area or small town is simply not the place for you to bring up your child.

Despite how you feel about not *caring* about the ostracism, your child *will* end up ostracized especially as he begins preschool or school and especially if there are no secular daycares or schools in the area. I suggest you join BBC's atheist board for perspectives on this. Most of the families who live in the south especially those in the Bible Belt face a lot of discrimination.

Atheist/Agnostic Families - BabyCenter

Old 02-27-2013, 07:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Called my grandmother today....
She says when DB and I get there she wants us to go to Wednesday service at her church, they do some sort of meal.
Uh crap.
She thinks it'll be nice and well meet great people.

I was hoping to avoid this, looks like its going to be harder than I thought.
I don't want to go to church or befriend people who do go to church, I have nothing in common with them.

I don't know how to get out of this one.
Everyone pretty much said everything I was going to. You know, some perfectly decent, cool, fun people go to church too.

Quote:
Then why do you want to live there?

Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Everyone pretty much said everything I was going to. You know, some perfectly decent, cool, fun people go to church too.

Then why do you want to live there?
Financial opportunities...
Ones that can get us ahead.
With my great grandmother just turning 94 my grandmother is starting to I guess prepare.
She told me today my cousin and I are in charge of deciding who gets what and spreading it out across family members. My mom has essentially been booted out of that spot.

I already know when my grandmother passes she's going to give me her house and its paid off.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:29 PM

I'm also trying to spend time with them before that time comes, these two women's have been in my life for so long and I hate my mom for moving me away. Those moves brought me DB but now it's time to go back and be with family while they are still here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting