Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There really is no problem to "solve". She is making a poor choice. I am not going to support it. Adult children make their own lives. As for the tuition, books, right now she has a full scholarship she is blowing, by being with this guy all the time. Calling him, and if she drops out, she would have to re apply. And yes, out of state tuition.

Sorry, he has no job, did not go to college, lives with his parents, who are also very poor. I don't call that a good choice.there are other issues, sorry, but I would pretty much sum up his family as major trailer trash. With EBT cards, and Medicaid. That is quite different from how she was brought up. Call me a snob...but it is an issue to me.

Yes, they are fine with her moving in...and her car, did I forget to mention this family has no car, that runs? She thinks we are just going to keep giving he the same money...and her debit card, and her cell phone. Right.

So...it is "come to jesus" meeting in a few weeks. We are waiting until after the holidays to discuss this...why ruin the holidays with this drama?
Good for you, Jasper! Yep, it sounds like this family thinks they'd benefit greatly from your daughter jumping off of the tracks and joining them. Perhaps they're just not counting on her losing her "income"? Hopefully, your "come to Jesus meeting" will open her eyes a bit? I hope so Jasper, I really hope so.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I wonder if people think I'm too young to be in such a serious relationship.
Quote:
23 24 in aug
I was married at 22 and had two children by 24, so no, I don't think 23 is too young to be living with a boyfriend. Whether that's "serious" or not depends on the couple.

Our 17th anniversary is Sunday. Happy belated anniversary, Nummers.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Yup, this. Not an age thing, a maturity thing.

As for referring to someone as a spouse who isn't, it reminds me of a friend in college who was "engaged to be engaged." So, you mean your boyfriend, right? Why that is lame will make sense after actually being married. There are all kinds of terms for partnered relationships - partner, BF, fiancé, SO...
Well you come up with a term for a serious boyfriend in which the relationship feels more like a marriage than just a boyfriend.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Well you come up with a term for a serious boyfriend in which the relationship feels more like a marriage than just a boyfriend.
We used to call that "shacking up".

So I'll vote for SUP. As in "My SUP and I enjoy badminton."

Old 12-06-2012, 12:58 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Don't need to, they already exist. Significant other (SO) or partner (P or DP) could work there - lot of latitude in both of those terms. How about SBF (Serious Boyfriend)? Though Dew's SUP made me laugh, it reads well.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:48 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Haha Dew. I love it.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
We used to call that "shacking up".

So I'll vote for SUP. As in "My SUP and I enjoy badminton."
And in today's language we call that hooking up.

We are not "hooking up". We're in a long term serious relationship, like together, share a vehicle and go over our finances together.
He dropped 500 on my car on a few months ago and only has the brakes left to fix.

He's not some dude I'm just "shacking up" with. He's my boyfriend who told his mom he thinks I'm the one, the one who talks to me about wanting to spend the rest of his life with me.

I don't think you quite grasp how serious it is or how much he really has done and does for me.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:31 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Shacking up still means living together, just like it did back in the day.

But in other news more relevant to parenting, anyone know where I can find some Christmasy toddler/kids' PJs? Apparently I needed to buy them in October if I wanted them.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 12-06-2012 at 02:41 PM..

Old 12-06-2012, 02:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
And in today's language we call that hooking up.
I'm up on the lingo. Hooking up and shacking up are two totally different animals. Back when hippies roamed the earth and thought they invented living together (they didn't they were quite surprised to learn from their grandmothers) what you are doing was called shacking up so the term is, indeed, valid in terms of our current discussion. If SUP (which is a real hoot to say) doesn't meet with your approval, eastwestagain came through with her most excellent knowledge of all things acronymed.

All the other stuff you added is peripheral to the linguistic variables of what you call your old man.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Shacking up still means living together, just like it did back in the day.

But in other news more relevant to parenting, anyone know where I can find some Christmasy kids' PJs? Apparently I needed to buy them in October if I wanted them.
Justice, they have tons upon tons of Christmassy pjs but only for girls, if you want boys you might want to check somewhere else boys clothes are sold I have no idea where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting