Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:34 AM

952 posts, read 2,634,576 times

Advertisements

I didn't do a search in the Parenting section yet before i even typed this, but I wanted to know on any tips you can share with how to successfully potty train your LO.

My parents told me that when me and my brothers were young we never wet the bed, as in stayed dry during the day and then wetting the bed at night.... Yeh I don't know what technique she used.

Was this your experience?

Or did you have it easy? lol

They say girls are harder to train that boys.

My LO is still only 11 months, Yes I know I've got a long way to go, but I have noticed when she does a poop she sits on the floor with the legs together straight out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 02:50 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I found my boys took longer to learn than my girls......just have a little potty available for when your little one is a little older and walking and wants to go potty with mommy....the fact that she knows when she's pooping is a good sign that she will probably learn quite easily.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:15 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,199 times
I think 11 months is a little early but only you can gage your child so if you think she's ready then you can start whenever you feel is a good time.

I think they #1 piece of advice for potty training no matter what "method" you use is do NOT let it turn into a power struggle, little kids have a lot of things out of their control and using the bathroom is one they can control and if it turns into a power struggle you'll be on here in 4 years begging for someone to help you potty train that child or they won't be allowed into kindergarten.

As far as method I had the potty around for a while and used the bathroom with the door open so he could see what was going on in there. I didn't ask him to sit on his potty but he could if he wanted to. After a few weeks I set aside a weekend where we had abolutely no plans to leave the house, we took off the diaper and let it all hang out. Then I gave him juice, lots and lots of juice. Since he wasn't usually allowed to have juice he accepted my offer everytime and all that drinking made him have to pee pretty often. Then every 30 minutes (i used the microwave timer) I had him sit on the potty for a minute or two and said if you have to pee you can do it in there. Once he finally got the pee in the potty we had lots of happy dancing, clapping and congratualtions and rewards (we did stickers feel free to insert your bribe of choice). If I had to clean up any puddles I said Uh-oh this should have gone in the potty, oops! Next time! Then we can get more stickers. Also getting them first thing int he morning, the second you hear them stirring helps, since you know they have to pee. The entire weekend was like a potty & juice party, by monday he got the hang of it. There was still accidents here and there but they were accidents not just I'm going to pee sitting right here in my clothes.

Also I'm personally opposed to pull-ups (except the overnights), sure the cashier knows the difference when she rings you up and charges $3 more for a package with 5 less diapers but on your babies butt? No difference, still a diaper. It just prolongs the process.

If you choose to start this early definitely use a diaper for naps and overnight, children don't develop a strong enough sensation to pee that will rouse them from sleep that young.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:16 PM

331 posts, read 603,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
I didn't do a search in the Parenting section yet before i even typed this, but I wanted to know on any tips you can share with how to successfully potty train your LO.

My parents told me that when me and my brothers were young we never wet the bed, as in stayed dry during the day and then wetting the bed at night.... Yeh I don't know what technique she used.

Was this your experience?

Or did you have it easy? lol

They say girls are harder to train that boys.

My LO is still only 11 months, Yes I know I've got a long way to go, but I have noticed when she does a poop she sits on the floor with the legs together straight out.

^^^^ My daughter was quite simple, waayy before I was ready she was asking to 'sit potty' and she would sit and go....but it took us A LOT longer to get rid of wetting at night, she wore pull ups until she was 3ish, b/c accidents weren't everynight, but often enough that we kept her in them for naps and bedtime!!

When she is ready she will let you know, but introducing the potty, just to sit on with you in there. or when you notice her sticking her legs out, is it before or after the fact? If it's before then you can sit her on the potty, and it may be that simple to end dirty diapers!!
Good Luck!!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:46 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
The fact that you can recognize when she goes and what she does when she's going will help you train her.

I started noticing that my third child, at around 17 months, would walk behind a big chair in the den and stand there, just kind of hiding, while he pooped. Taking that cue from him, I began talking to him about going potty etc.

Watching his habits and using the "Potty Train Your Child in One Day" book worked. He was trained at 18 months. My older kids are multiples, so it took me till they were 2 and a half.

I had one child who would wet the bed at night at age 5, and was SO asleep we couldn't rouse him. We did the Sleep Dry Alarm and it stopped within a week.

SleepDry Alarm - Best Bedwetting Alarm. Child Friendly*::*Links

But that is only if you have a bed-wetting problem down the line.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:40 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
When my oldest turned one, my mom told me all kinds of stories about how all of us were trained at 11 months and that my daughter was behind. So I bought a little potty and started trying really hard to get her to use it. She resisted, I pushed harder to get her to use it, etc. She finally got trained at three and a half years, when I told her I didn't care if she ever used the toilet and I wasn't going to try anymore, that she could just keep on wearing diapers forever and I'd just go to school and change her, if she still needed them when she was a big kid. Right after that she started using the toilet, although for six months she could only use the toilet at home and then after we moved she held her stool for a month and developed some issues from that.

With my second kid, I didn't push, didn't even mention potty-training. The day after her 2nd birthday, she told me she didn't need diapers anymore. We went straight to underwear and using the regular toilet, and she never had an accident.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
Old Pa Pa did this one in 1 minute.

I took a diaper of my son's and drew a face on it.
I had it talk to him saying he is now getting old enough to go in the potty like a big boy, that he wasn't a baby like the baby diaper.

Right there he started only using the toilet.
Almost no mistakes regarding the pee.
You leave them in regular underwear and after two or three mistakes they won't like missing the potty regarding #2.

Was easy.

I have to work smarter, I have over 50 years on my little man.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
most boys are later to train than girls. I think making a big deal out of it makes the kid nervous and resistant.

We had a very private back yard and I would let my kids play without underwear and placed brightly colored potty seats all over the back yard. some bought from good will, garage sales, etc. actually played a scavenger hunt with a prize near each potty. but they had to actually pee or poop to be able to claim the prize. No competition and I certainly didn't encourage them to strain. It was 28 years ago so I forget exactly how it worked but I remember having potty chairs outside and letting them get hosed off was a great fun activity for them.

main idea is not to lose your cool and to be patient. When my little ones felt bad about an accident, I would assure them there had never been a first grader with a diaper in his backpack. I remember my son especially was loathe to leave a game or a toy just to go potty. What a waste of time to a 2 year old.

This was in contrast to how I was potty trained. If my bed was wet in the morning I got a hard spanking that night as I went to bed. This was assuming I was wetting the bed because I was bad and lazy. It's so sad to see how gorked people can turn out to be because of stupid parents and fad child rearing ideas. You just don't forget being treated like that.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:01 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Gosh, it all depends in my opinion. My advice would be, don't sweat it!! I had a daughter who had bed accidents until she was well into her elementary school years. Poor thing would refuse to spend the night anywhere. I had one daughter who potty trained herself at an early age and never had a bed accident. I had another, a son, who use to like to play with his poop well into 2 yrs. It was horrid. lol
Finally he stopped, got the picture and we had success. No bedtime accidents with him.
All I can say is by 6th grade you won't have any bathroom issues. lol Ignore any rude comments, those only come from parents with something to hide, deep down inside.
Get a once upon a potty video, my son loved that thing. It might not teach them anything but it's entertaining enough to give you a 15 min. breaky.

"Change Me!" music video - YouTube
This seems fun
Amazon.com: Once Upon A Potty Plush Doll Set With Mini-Potty - Girl: Baby

Old 05-15-2012, 07:55 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I think the key is what you already are doing, looking for and recognizing their cues that they are going or need to go. Once you've recognized the cues, it's just about introducing the potty, what it's for and then directing them there when you see the cues. If you get some resistance, back off and just let them progress at their own pace. The worst thing you can do is turn it into a power struggle and try to force them.

Ultimately every kid is different, but in general, I think girls are easier then boys. That's based on my own experience and what many other people have told me. With my oldest daughter it was like someone flipped a switch. We introduced her to the potty, she used it once and I guess decided that peeing and pooping in her pants wasn't all it was cut out to be. She started using the potty, refused to wear diapers and never even had an accident at night, this was around 22 months.

My son (he's the oldest of three) on the other hand was like Hedgehog_Mom's kid and we thought he would never get it. Even after he started peeing in the potty, he insisted on pooping in a diaper. I'll never forget the look on his face as he crouched under the dining room table all red and grunting..."Are you pooping?"...."NO!". He was finally completely trained around 4 and it was a bit of a struggle.

The youngest is 24 months and has really just started to take an interest in the potty. She sees her sister using it and this seems to be piquing her interest. We have started introducing it and watching for her clues. She grabs the front of her diaper when she is about to pee and is a "corner pooper", so we watch for when she sort of goes off on her own as that means she is probably pooping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting