Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 12:15 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,759 times

Advertisements

Im on the verge of tears.

My daughte is 8 months old. (well tomorrow she will be ) and she has never spent the night away from me. Besides daycare no one has ever watched her but me. Her God mom asked me if she could keep her friday night because I needed a break and time to myself. I didnt like the idea, I knew not to do it. I knew not to do it. Thats all I keep telling myself. But against my better judgement I allowed it. I spoke to my friend 3 times friday and twice saturday morning and all was well. I pick up DD and all is well until the next morning I see this.....

Do you guys see that black eye???? Im sooooo mad.

So I called God mom She goes onto say that she had sat DD in car seat on the couch (unstrapped) and walked into the kitchen I guess not knowing that she can sit up on her own (yet she had her all night and day I find that hard to believe) and DD aparently flipped out onto the floor.

Why wouldnt she mention this before???She could have had a concusion and should have been monitored while sleeping. I am so mad, I wanna go punch her in her eye but obviously that will solve nothing.

Advice?

Last edited by OhioChic; 05-14-2012 at 01:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 12:35 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Does the god-mom not have any kids? Who in their right mind would put up and leave a car seat on a couch? That's just unsafe regardless of how much a child can/cannot move.

Obviously, she didn't tell you because she didn't want you to freak out. You need to sit down and explain any injury that the child experience needs to be told. Because what if that first night home, she goes into a coma due to the head injury? Not only would you be wrought with worry... but its enough to get CPS/police called on you. There's way too many unforeseen consequences and irresponsible behaviors do not help matters at all.

I'm willing to bet it'll be awhile before you let anyone babysit your kid... and it's fine. Just start off in small increments next time (start off 1 hour the first time, then 2 hours the second time, the 3 hours... et. c.) before doing the overnight. Do realize that as your child gets older, the possibility of your child getting hurt does increase. As long as you and the caretaker(s) are diligent and informative, your child will be fine.

P.S. Your photo doesn't show up.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
What did you do/say when she told you? you must have already reacted.

From here, I'd say God mom is unfortunately not a very trustworthy sitter. If you want her to baby sit again start in small increments. First have her come over and watch you take care of the baby. Then let her watch her for maybe an hour or two. If all goes well, you can increase the amount of time gradually. Or, just don't leave your daughter with her. I'm guessing God Mom is young and doesn't have much, if any, experience taking care of kids. Maybe she's not a good choice for a sitter.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:59 PM

God mom doesnt have any kids, she's 30 yo. But does have 2 nieces that live with her (along with their mom) so she has somewhat experiance

When she told me I was just real quiet and didnt really know what to say. Shes been calling all day today and I dont know what to say to her. I dont think I can look her in her face knowing she gave my baby a black eye.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:06 PM

removed pic at other users advice (its a small bruise under right eye)

Old 05-14-2012, 01:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
your little girl is adorable. maybe in person the black eye is way worse than it shows in the picture. I've certainly seen worse and on my own kids while in my care! when they start getting mobile all sorts of things can happen. But as you've explained( or as sitter explained) this was caused by lack of supervision by sitter and not something natural like inquisitive child.

I hope you are calmer now. please understand your friend offered to keep the child because she could see you needed a break. She did not deliberately harm your baby. Still she should have let you know when you picked up the baby so your imagination did not go all over the place.

I'm sure your friend feels terrible about this. As a new Mom you are especially on alert about the health of your child but seems like no real harm done. We all make mistakes, accidents happen and all those other cliches. Obviously you care for this woman or you never would have asked her to be God Mother so cut a bit of slack and let her know you are not going to let this ruin your friendship.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:10 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Just tell her the truth. You're upset because she let your daughter be injured and because she didn't tell you. You don't have to say "never again" or anything like that. Just say what's on your mind and let her say whatever she wants to say and then be done. And I wouldn't let her babysit again, but I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Just say that you miss her too much when she's gone.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:27 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
God mom doesnt have any kids, she's 30 yo. But does have 2 nieces that live with her (along with their mom) so she has somewhat experiance

When she told me I was just real quiet and didnt really know what to say. Shes been calling all day today and I dont know what to say to her. I dont think I can look her in her face knowing she gave my baby a black eye.
You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Sometimes kids get hurt. You can't look her in the eye? Gimme a break! You need to do two things in my opinion

- Don't trust this particular sitter. She is not trustworthy. That was a poor bit of judgement.
- For both yours and your daughter's sake, lighten up!

Old 05-14-2012, 01:38 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,371 times
I think the baby's godmother absolutely should have mentioned the incident. But I'm sure the reason for that was, she didn't see any injury at the time, the baby didn't seem seriously hurt, and she didn't want to upset you. She should have been more careful, but if she more than likely has learned a very good lesson, and feels terrible.

Calm down, then accept her calls. More importantly, accept her apology, and don't let this ruin the relationship. As others have already suggested, don't send your baby anywhere overnight until you are 100% comfortable with it. Start with letting her watch the baby for an hour or two then work your way up to staying all night.

This probably won't be the first time your baby falls or gets hurt. Cuts, scrapes, even black eyes happen. Your baby's godmother should not have left a carrier unsupervised sitting anywhere, but I am willing to bet she will never make that mistake again. If she truly loves and cares about your baby, she deserves forgiveness.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:50 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
God mom should have said something to you. I hope you have the sense to never take this woman up on an over night stay again. You do NOT put a baby on a couch in a car seat even if secured. Babies wiggle and squirm and the whole seat can end up on the floor even if they can't sit up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting