Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 08:36 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

If I'm going to chop an onion or celery I chop 2 or 3 at a time and either freeze leftovers of put in baggie for later in the week. If I'm going to go to the trouble to make chili or a complicated casserole I usually double the recipe. freezer is full. Makes perfect sense to me b/c of all the prep, and especially the big mess I make in the kitchen. Sometimes I like to cook all day on Sunday for the week.

I really don't know how our mothers did without microwave and huge freezers we have now. I don't like to cook "boxed" meals and haven't ever used hamburger helper (lord the sodium!) or mac and cheese or worse those dehydrated potatoes. I try to cook fresh every night but sometimes I just throw my hands up about 5 and say to DH "Order a pizza or pick up chinese if you want to eat tonight" He is very obliging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 08:39 AM

Sometimes I wake up on the weekend wanting to fix a big breakfast like meat, pancakes from scratch ( so much better than bisquick) omelet, breakfast casserole, etc. We pig out and I announce "I'm not cooking anymore today" which means the rest of the family can fix sandwiches or protein plate for lunch and DH will make soup and crackers (his specialty).

Old 05-15-2012, 08:46 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I really don't know how our mothers did without microwave and huge freezers we have now.

I totally get the freezer. But what do people use the microwave FOR? We use it to heat water for tea. And that just is not that much more convenient than a kettle.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:52 AM

677 posts, read 1,538,413 times
The night before.

It's part of the 'getting ready for tomorrow' routine. Homework in backpacks, backpacks in the front entry, outfits chosen and laid out etc.

The kids take turns being 'Star Chef'
They help decide what to cook and help prepare, serve and clean-up afterwards. The meat goes in the fridge the night before to thaw and we confirm we have everything needed to prepare the meal. I pick up any items the next day.

We continue this in the summer, but grill most days.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
I plan my menu for a week. I use a website/app that I can put my recipes in, add them to the planner, then add them to the shopping list from there and take my ipad with me to the grocery store.

If I didn't have a plan, who knows what we'd end up eating.....plus it saves money shopping for specific meals.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I totally get the freezer. But what do people use the microwave FOR? We use it to heat water for tea. And that just is not that much more convenient than a kettle.
We have an instant boiling water faucet at our main sink so we don't even use the microwave for that but I do use it for defrosting all the time. and leftover get nuked plate by plate if we aren't all eating at the same time. I guess I don't actually cook any foods in it but I surely do find other uses for it. Don't forget popcorn either.

if cream cheese or butter need to be at room temp and I don't have time I set defrost and zap it for a bit. I nuke my washcloths between washings and sponges too. And when I want really hot water for cleaning I just nuke a damp cloth and then I don't have to stand and watch gallons of cold water be wasted till hot water finally comes.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:00 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,751,477 times
I love to meal plan, on Saturdays or Sundays I sit down and plan out what will be for dinner on which days and what meals will make good lunches and which ones I can cook in huge batches so I can either serve it for dinner later in the week or freeze for another night later that month and then go out get all the ingredients in my one shopping trip for the week.

I find that it really alleviates a lot of that stress that I feel about dinner on the weeks where I don't plan (which happens more often than I like) it also cuts back on a lot of wasted food because I use my calendar to meal plan and am realistic about how many meals we'll actually eat at home that week so I don't end up throwing out rotted ingredients for a meal that never got made.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:04 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Wow. This is so impressive. I know there are websites that specialize in this sort of thing but I'm intimidated by the mere thought of it.
Its actually really easy. I have a slew of cook books and personal recipes. I go through the books and write down the 12 recipes I want. Then I count all the meats. Then all the canned goods, spices, veggies etc. Then I take it to the store. I bag all the meats individually by meal and write on the bag. There is a list taped to the cabinet over the stove with the list of food. In the morning I pick something from the list, take out the meat and decide the course of action depending on if its a 20-30 minute meal or an all day thing.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:06 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
We have an instant boiling water faucet at our main sink so we don't even use the microwave for that but I do use it for defrosting all the time.
I don't like the way it defrosts unevenly.

Quote:
and leftover get nuked plate by plate if we aren't all eating at the same time. I guess I don't actually cook any foods in it but I surely do find other uses for it. Don't forget popcorn either.
Popcorn in the microwave!?!!!?? HETHEN

Stove Top Popcorn Maker-Old Fashioned Popcorn Popper

Actually I use a regular sauce pan. Then I can control the butter. And Parmesan cheese!

Quote:
if cream cheese or butter need to be at room temp and I don't have time I set defrost and zap it for a bit. I nuke my washcloths between washings and sponges too. And when I want really hot water for cleaning I just nuke a damp cloth and then I don't have to stand and watch gallons of cold water be wasted till hot water finally comes.
Ah. I do use it to soften butter.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
We have an instant boiling water faucet at our main sink so we don't even use the microwave for that but I do use it for defrosting all the time. and leftover get nuked plate by plate if we aren't all eating at the same time. I guess I don't actually cook any foods in it but I surely do find other uses for it. Don't forget popcorn either.

My microwave is something it seems like I can live without until it's on the fritz. Then I suddenly need to defrost something, soften butter, warm up some soup ...

But mostly it's my clock and timer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting