Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 01:44 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,171,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think terms like "night time parenting" don't help. To me it sounds as if the inference is that those who don't follow this method are choosing to simply not parent at night. JMO
The term can be off putting but all it really means is responding to your child's needs at night whether it be for food or for comfort or something else. Rather then sleep training or letting a child "cry it out" one would trust that their child will eventually be able to sleep through the night on their own when he or she is ready and trusting that the child is crying because he or she really needs Mom or Dad to respond whether it's for comfort or something else. Co-sleeping often makes sense for a parent who feels this way because it makes it easier to respond at night when the baby is close by but by no means is it necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 01:48 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
AP is a lable that means NOTHING. People parent their own way and do a little of this and a little of that. What to know what AP is? MARKETING.

There is one born every minute you know. People LOVE lables, they LOVE to say they are "this" or "that". Everyone fears not being part of something and it's that insecurity that drives everything. I don't buy into it but I've always been a bit of a loner and a rebel

Old 05-18-2012, 01:51 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,535,563 times
Quote:
I think terms like "night time parenting" don't help. To me it sounds as if the inference is that those who don't follow this method are choosing to simply not parent at night. JMO
Like the two examples below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Responding compassionately doesn't mean always giving in. It's not that my child never cries, but she doesn't cry alone without a compassionate caregiver for comfort.
Most parents are compassionate caregivers regardless of the "ideology" they follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I think that non-AP parents also tout "self-soothing" to be a much more important goal than AP parents. I don't expect my infant to self-soothe. I would rather she learns love and trust than self-soothing as an infant.
The two things are not mutually exclusive.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:53 PM

Wasn't this posted in the OP? What is API All About? - Attachment Parenting International
AP is a philosophy and the label is a simple term that describes what the philosophy is.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:54 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,399,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
The term can be off putting but all it really means is responding to your child's needs at night whether it be for food or for comfort or something else. Rather then sleep training or letting a child "cry it out" one would trust that their child will eventually be able to sleep through the night on their own when he or she is ready and trusting that the child is crying because he or she really needs Mom or Dad to respond whether it's for comfort or something else. Co-sleeping often makes sense for a parent who feels this way because it makes it easier to respond at night when the baby is close by but by no means is it necessary.
I understand the whats and whys... I just think it's an unfortunate term which adds to unnecessary divisiveness. Even people who don't practice AP still parent 24/7....when I got up at night for whatever reason throughout my child's life I just thought that was called parenting.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Most parents are compassionate caregivers regardless of the "ideology" they follow.
Agreed.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I understand the whats and whys... I just think it's an unfortunate term which adds to unnecessary divisiveness. Even people who don't practice AP still parent 24/7....when I got up at night for whatever reason throughout my child's life I just thought that was called parenting.
I hear you but I don't think anyone is trying to be divisive. It's just a way to describe what something means without a long explanation. Just like the terms, "sleep training" or "cry it out" are labels used to describe aspects of parenting.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:41 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,157,398 times
Quote:
The term can be off putting but all it really means is responding to your child's needs at night whether it be for food or for comfort or something else. Rather then sleep training or letting a child "cry it out" one would trust that their child will eventually be able to sleep through the night on their own when he or she is ready and trusting that the child is crying because he or she really needs Mom or Dad to respond whether it's for comfort or something else.
There is one genuine issue called a sleep association. When the child cannot sleep more than 45 minutes or so (about one sleep cycle) because of a sleep association, then cry it out makes a good deal of sense.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
There is one genuine issue called a sleep association. When the child cannot sleep more than 45 minutes or so (about one sleep cycle) because of a sleep association, then cry it out makes a good deal of sense.
I can see that and if that makes the most sense to a parent then by all means they should go with it. All that I'm trying to do is explain the perspective of "nightime parenting" from an AP standpoint and that is that babies and children will learn to fall asleep on their own when they are ready. I'm not saying that everyone should agree with this or that this is the only way to look at sleep or that people doing things in different ways are wrong. I'm just trying to explain the AP perspective on it.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:54 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,157,398 times
Quote:
I can see that and if that makes the most sense to a parent then by all means they should go with it. All that I'm trying to do is explain the perspective of "nightime parenting" from an AP standpoint and that is that babies and children will learn to fall asleep on their own when they are ready. I'm not saying that everyone should agree with this or that this is the only way to look at sleep or that people doing things in different ways are wrong. I'm just trying to explain the AP perspective on it.
Not a problem. Just offering a different circumstance that might prevent learning to fall asleep on ones own without some intervention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting