Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:19 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,953,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
That's kind of the thing. (Huge generalization, and not necessarily what's going on in the OP, but) Some parents don't want to bother to parent. The nanny doing it every once in a while is probably not a big deal, but parents need to learn to say "no" even though it isn't easier in the moment.
The kids were never really said no too. I said no to the kids all the time but there was just a time and a place and close to nap time was one of those times where I just wasn't going to try to reason with an 16 month old, if he got tired and fell asleep watching veggie tales and wasn't screaming in the car while waiting for his sister to get out then it was all the better.

Its not easy when they are that age, it's super hard. I said no a lot and I didn't let them get away with crap but there sure is something about screaming children in a vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 01:46 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,840,258 times
Quote:
Pretty much everything we discuss in this forum is none of our business, but people are allowed opinions. Some of this is a bit of an assumption, but it isn't a good sign if the kids "need" to watch TV on the 10 minute car ride home from school. They would get so much more out of discussing their school day, looking out the window, even watching how mom drives.

Watching videos on a long trip seems to be the norm. Watching videos on the way home from school seems extreme.
Well just because a kid is watching how does that equate to they "need" to watch? If a family has a routine that works for them why would anyone assume that the parents don't care about the kids just because they have a different routine.

I think its ok to have an opinion. I just don't get why anyone would bother wasting their energy posting about something as stupid as whether another person's kid watches a video in the car. I don't understand why I am even posting on this thread.

Some people watch videos in the car on short trips. That doesn't seem like a such a big deal to me. My kids never asked for videos in the car on short trips but if they had asked I probably would have let them watch. What exactly is the big deal?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,075,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Well just because a kid is watching how does that equate to they "need" to watch? If a family has a routine that works for them why would anyone assume that the parents don't care about the kids just because they have a different routine.

I think its ok to have an opinion. I just don't get why anyone would bother wasting their energy posting about something as stupid as whether another person's kid watches a video in the car. I don't understand why I am even posting on this thread.

Some people watch videos in the car on short trips. That doesn't seem like a such a big deal to me. My kids never asked for videos in the car on short trips but if they had asked I probably would have let them watch. What exactly is the big deal?
This is certainly not the stupidest thing posted about in this forum. If you don't care, you aren't required to read the thread or respond to it. I happen to think it is important for kids and parents to converse, and for kids to learn to look at their surroundings and entertain themselves. It is a big enough deal to me that we don't take videos in the car except for long road trips, and then we limit it to 1, maybe 2 in a long day. that's why it is a "big deal" to me. If you don't get it, you don't get it. I'm not here to convince you.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:11 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,145,771 times
Quote:
This is certainly not the stupidest thing posted about in this forum. If you don't care, you aren't required to read the thread or respond to it. I happen to think it is important for kids and parents to converse, and for kids to learn to look at their surroundings and entertain themselves. It is a big enough deal to me that we don't take videos in the car except for long road trips, and then we limit it to 1, maybe 2 in a long day. that's why it is a "big deal" to me. If you don't get it, you don't get it. I'm not here to convince you.
It is not a matter of not caring. It is a matter of thinking you are making a mountain out of a teeny mole hill.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It is not a matter of not caring. It is a matter of thinking you are making a mountain out of a teeny mole hill.
I'm not the OP. I didn't make the mountain. Simply expressing my opinion, multiple times because the people who don't care keep coming back to ask why.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:23 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,145,771 times
Quote:
I'm not the OP. I didn't make the mountain. Simply expressing my opinion, multiple times because the people who don't care keep coming back to ask why.
I guess this

Quote:
If you don't care, you aren't required to read the thread or respond to it. I happen to think it is important for kids and parents to converse, and for kids to learn to look at their surroundings and entertain themselves. It is a big enough deal to me that we don't take videos in the car except for long road trips, and then we limit it to 1, maybe 2 in a long day.

Looks like making a pretty big mountain out of a teeny molehill. An entrire thread about whether one should or should not watch videos in the car. I can't caring where one gets ones interaction.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I guess this

Looks like making a pretty big mountain out of a teeny molehill. An entrire thread about whether one should or should not watch videos in the car. I can't caring where one gets ones interaction.
I can't see caring about a lot of things that are discussed here, yet they go on for pages and pages. I'm not sure why I'm being given a hard time for this particular one.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,840,258 times
Quote:
It really is one of the stupidest things discussed. Who cares what OTHER PEOPLE let their kids watch in the car? It's just a video. It doesn't mean the parents never talk to the kids.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:26 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,388,902 times
Quote:
can they not listen to the radio with you? I have fond memories of listening to my parents music growing up. It helped shape my music tastes. It also helps people learn to compromise. Maybe everyone gets to take turns choosing a station or a CD.
What's is the diffrence between listening to music or watching TV besides video and audio?

No, I prefer they not listen to Howard Stern or Cosmo radio. They don't watch TV every time they get in the car but when they do, it's no problem for them or me.
Some people go to extremes to say its a lack of parenting to allow kids to watch TV in the car.

No, it's a lack of parenting when your kids curse at the teacher, bully other kids, show no sign of respect for authority figures or lack self respect.

My point? There are bigger things to worry about when raising kids than if them watching tv in the car is going to make them irresponsible and low functional adults. I highly doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting