Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 01:46 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I only know one family. Dad makes a super living, so there is no compelling need for more income. So having a SAHM / housewife (that word has become dirty, not sure why) has significant advantages. She can transport them to their extra-curriculars. Home work is never rushed. The home maintenance can be done during the week, leaving the weekends largely free for recreation. But for her, the most important thing is an active presence of a parent for the kids. They may be in and out, but she is there. And that presence is felt.
VERY well put!

I think the SAHM/housewife thing has become a "dirty word" due to some people's jealousy.

Yep, life is too short to worry about what others think!

Enjoy your work as a SAHM ( since there is a ton to do) and enjoy your life!

Old 05-24-2012, 01:47 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
Well since its been brought up here is what I do with my time.

I am the vice president of my kids school board
I write newsletters and email marketing campaigns for a nonprofit.
I volunteer at the school weekly
I cook meals from scratch most of the time
I handle all financials/household stuff/extracurricular activities/homework
I also take writing classes at the community college nearby but that's for fun

As somebodynew pointed out there is no reason financially for me to work so I don't and enjoy it.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:49 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I only know one family. Dad makes a super living, so there is no compelling need for more income. So having a SAHM / housewife (that word has become dirty, not sure why) has significant advantages. She can transport them to their extra-curriculars. Home work is never rushed. The home maintenance can be done during the week, leaving the weekends largely free for recreation. But for her, the most important thing is an active presence of a parent for the kids. They may be in and out, but she is there. And that presence is felt.
I couldn't have said it better. Growing up, my grandmother was with me all day as both of my parents worked. When I was already of school age, my grandmother passed away, and my Mom became a SAHM. When I would come home from school, my Mom had time to go out/play with me etc, and nothing felt rushed since she finished all of her housework and other things while I was at school. Also, I know when I needed something "mid-day", or when I was sick or whatever you can think of, my Mom was there. Like somebodynew said, the stay-at-home parent's presence is definitely felt, even when kids are of school age.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:00 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
I don't care what people may think about my employment choices. It's your decision.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I'm trying to figure out why this comes up so often. Maybe it is just where I live, but SAHM's are in abundance here. I can't imagine assuming a woman works. In any case, just be confident in your answer, whatever it may be.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:23 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I'm trying to figure out why this comes up so often. Maybe it is just where I live, but SAHM's are in abundance here. I can't imagine assuming a woman works. In any case, just be confident in your answer, whatever it may be.
Same here.

I did get asked recently what I used to do, but it didn't make me feel uncomfortable. I think the person was just trying to get a sense of who I am. I told her and then reciprocated by asking about her life. We found we had a few things in common, and I think we both enjoyed the conversation.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:50 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I just said SAHM. It's always a little awkward when I get the rude following up question "what do you DO all day?" and I never could come up with a clever/sassy answer but sometimes I would say how I was doing things I wanted to do instead of filing and typing and how everyone was lucky I didn't want their jobs. LOL.
This is a great answer. Just tell them "Anything I want" when they ask. There is nothing wrong with doing what you want as long as you can afford it.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:55 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
OP if your family is happy and financial secure do whatever the hell you want to do and don't worry about what other people think.

That being said, I do think the workload of a SAHM of pre-schoolers vs teenagers is drastically different. Teenagers who do not do after school activities are out of the house nearly 8 hours and those with activities are out for 9 or more. So being a SAHM to a teenager is at best a part time job. But again, that is your choice and no one else's business besides your husband.

Sounds like you feel like you could be doing more with your time and maybe that bothers you? If so maybe find a part time job or volunteer like many of the other posters have suggested.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:01 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
If they ask if you are off work, tell them no. Stay-at-home moms are always on the clock.
See this is the part I don't get.

I agree whole heartedly with the statement for SAH parents of preschoolers right through grade schoolers but not with teenagers. They are literally out of the house for a huge chunk of the day. Many of them more than 8 hours a day.

Not that I think it is anyone's business to tell anyone else what to do with their time but saying that a SAHM of kids who are in high school has the same responsibilities and workload as a SAHM with toddlers just seems factually wrong to me. I mean where is the line? Are you a SAHM "on the clock" once they are in college? What if the kids go to school and have a job of their own, are you really still putting in the hours other SAHMs are?

Old 05-24-2012, 03:13 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Not that I think it is anyone's business to tell anyone else what to do with their time but saying that a SAHM of kids who are in high school has the same responsibilities and workload as a SAHM with toddlers just seems factually wrong to me. I mean where is the line?
You think there needs to be a line? Who cares that the responsibilities aren't the same? Of course they aren't - they shift. You make it sound like SAHM's of toddlers have more of a right to SAH than those who have teens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting