Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 06:11 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
How this turned into "safe ride" I know not. I've stated my convictions. Once you start to ask dumb questions and expect them to be answered is where I pull the buggy in the driveway. I am whatever you perceive me to be, dear

Moving on............

Ok, I'll bring up Safe Ride "properly" to compare it to having condoms accessible at school:

Safe Ride

This is an example of the program, run through Red Cross and advertised at high schools.

How do you feel about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 06:12 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
I think this horse died too.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:18 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
What would be interesting is a comparison of teen pregnancy rates at this school, a nice longitudinal study, of three to five years, with a small sample set. I am willing to bet cash, that the pregnancy rate is the same or higher.

Condoms are not the answer to ending teen pregnancy. Condoms have been available for decades, and yet teens and adults get pregnant regardless. Provide a bowlfull of condoms in every classroom.

Education, to all children regarding the consequnces of sex. Programs about self esteem, future planning...

Old 05-26-2012, 06:59 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
What would be interesting is a comparison of teen pregnancy rates at this school, a nice longitudinal study, of three to five years, with a small sample set. I am willing to bet cash, that the pregnancy rate is the same or higher.

Condoms are not the answer to ending teen pregnancy. Condoms have been available for decades, and yet teens and adults get pregnant regardless. Provide a bowlfull of condoms in every classroom.

Education, to all children regarding the consequnces of sex. Programs about self esteem, future planning...
These are at risk teens and there are only 30 or less of them each year. Hardly a sample representing teens everywhere.

Again you have continued to dodge the question. This is a program where parents can opt out. So why do you get to decide that no one can be in this program?

Old 05-26-2012, 07:05 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Condoms have been available for decades...and teen pregnancy has been going down for decades too. There was a study done in The American Journal for Public Health that showed the reduction in teen pregnancy is due primarily to condom use. 86% of the teen surveyed were having sex but using condoms. Only 14% were practicing abstinence.

In states where BC is harder to obtain and abstinence is the focus of sex ed, teen pregnancy rates are much higher. You can educate and tell teens to wait all you want, but if you want them to actually avoid pregnancy, you give them condoms. The teens who weren't going to have sex anyway are not affected. The ones who are going to have sex no matter are safer. It's that simple.

Every barrier you put in place between teens and BC increases the risk of pregnancy. The more you demystify sex and the more accessible you make BC, the more likely teens are to use it.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:25 PM

458 posts, read 611,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That is your choice to not provide them. That is different from a school.

If you are done with a topic, feel free to stop responding.
Well, now that I have your permission and all........

and then your next post asks me a question? lol!!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I think this horse died too.
Thanks for your observation.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Well, now that I have your permission and all........

and then your next post asks me a question? lol!!

Yes, would you like to answer the questions pertaining to the thread topic or continue with your off topic nonsense?

Old 05-26-2012, 07:31 PM

458 posts, read 611,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, would you like to answer the questions pertaining to the thread topic or continue with your off topic nonsense?
"safe ride" is the thread topic? musta slept on that one

forgive me, I do know how to ignore...........watch, and...........wait for it, wait for it...................

Old 05-26-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
"safe ride" is the thread topic? musta slept on that one

forgive me, I do know how to ignore...........watch, and...........wait for it, wait for it...................

The thread topic is accessible condoms at school.

My side of the argument is that schools do a lot of preventative type of education with students - teaching about drunk driving, nutrition, etc and giving students the tools to deal with these issues.

As such, Safe Ride is a very good analogy for accessible contraceptives at school. I asked your opinion on Safe Ride as it relates to the thread topic because both programs (Safe Ride and accessible contraceptives) are very similar to each other in a number of ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting