Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2007, 01:45 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,703,067 times

Advertisements

My son's school wants to give him the SDQ - and I don't like it. I'm afraid they'll kick him out if they don't like the results (I know I'm over-reacting)

Any expereince or adivce or opinions?

THANKS

www.sdqinfo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 02:30 PM

45 posts, read 261,667 times
i never heard of it, what is it?

Old 09-21-2007, 02:32 PM

45 posts, read 261,667 times
oh wait, i didn't see your link ) i guess getting all the details isn't one of my strengths.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:33 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times
If your child is attending public school I don't think there is a way for them to kick him out. If your child is attending private school that may be a different matter. Is the whole class taking the test or just your child.

I personally probably wouldn't have a problem with it. It would give me info about my child and it may help my child's teacher better approach him. Just my two cents.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:13 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
First time I've heard of this. At first blush, I can't say I'd be willing to share some of that information with school administrators. I'd have a whole lot of questions before I would turn him over to them.

Is this a public school?

Hope it works out for you and your son citigirl72.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:25 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
My son's school wants to give him the SDQ - and I don't like it. I'm afraid they'll kick him out if they don't like the results (I know I'm over-reacting)

Any expereince or adivce or opinions?

THANKS

www.sdqinfo.com
Due to my son's multiple dx, we have literally been through the gamut on these types of tests. However, the SDQ is new to me.

What prompted the school to want to give to your son? What's been going on? How old is he? Is he in a regular ed classrom? Had you requested an evaluation? How will they use the scores? Does your son currently have an IEP or are you all working to develop one? Is the entire school taking this test, or just your son?

Is your son in public or private school?

It's difficult to say what I would do in your position since you have omitted a lot of important details but instinctually, I likely would not allow the school to administer the test. After all, is a trained personnel administering it? And how about interpretation of the scores? And what type of decisions will be made, and by whom, based on the scores?

If you have concerns, I would instead encurage you to have this test administered by a mental health clinician, specifically experienced with this test.

Good luck!

Sara

Old 09-22-2007, 02:19 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
First, you have to consent to testing. Also, I'm a psychologist and have never heard of this test....I wonder why they are doing it (find out more specifics!)
As others suggested, they can't kick out your child if it's a public school. Private schools on the other hand...well, they can do what they want. If you are really concerned and think your child needs testing, find out what the school is looking for. Then, you can hire your own independent person to do the testing. This might be expensive, but you aren't solely relying on the school's report. Definitly find out the referral question (i.e., what is the school trying to find out?)

Old 05-18-2008, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,018 times
Smile sdq

i have recently carried out sdq in my school, they are a way of assessing a child's emotional well- being they consist of 5 outcomes each with five questions. i would talk to the schools head and find out if this is being carried out for the whole school, if not why your child. the scoring is not only based on the schools questions there is also one set for the parents to fill in. The scores are added up and the pro-social scores are taken away which leaves a basic score, this will show up as no problems, borderline or needing help. this may be through group work or one to one. but you have to also give your permission for any work to take place. in our school we use this scoring to help children who are having emotional, peer, behaviour or attendance problems. i am a behaviour worker and also trained in what is called Listening Matters where we choose the children from these scores to work with.
i would have a word with your child's school and sort out this matter. Have a look on the internet "SDQ" it will give you more information. Hope this helps.
1) emotional symptoms (5 items)[SIZE=+4]}[/SIZE]added together to
generate a total
difficulties score
(based on 20 items)2) conduct problems (5 items)3) hyperactivity/inattention (5 items)4) peer relationship problems (5 items)5) prosocial behaviour (5 items)

Old 05-18-2008, 10:54 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
You said they WANT to test them, but did you mean they are going to test him?

At my sons school, they readministered the WISC this spring. I asked the teacher, school psychologist and lower school headmaster and they all said it was being given as a gauge and would have no bearing on readmission for next year.

I would venture to say, unless something has cropped up since your little guy has started school there is probably nothing to worry about!

I have to admit, I always get a bit nervous when my kids test. They always seem to say and do the craziest things!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting