Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 03:57 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,128 times

Advertisements

There is a such thing as TOO much crying though. My friend has a 9 year old son who cries at the drop of a hat over little things. He's 9, needs to start learning emotional control to an extent as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 06:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCatarre View Post
That made me stronger though.
Stronger or more repressed? There is a big difference.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:00 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
I don't get what the big deal is to cry during the game. As long as you aren't throwing a tantrum, and disrupting the game and all.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:01 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCatarre View Post
That made me stronger though.
Compared to who though? My dad is as manly as you get, used to box, and works on cars. And the man cries during lifetime movies :X.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:40 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,687,537 times
I teach both of my children to tell us (my wife and I ) how they are feeling. I think crying is reserved for the sad times (i.e. death, great loss NOT related to a sporting event, but more like you find out you have a terminal illness or something like that) Women have the ability to use their tears to express a wide range of emotion because that's the way they are. Boys however should rely more on their words (written or spoken) to express how they feel. I loose respect for a man who cries like a ***** at the drop of a hat over nothing. Unfortunately today's man has become a weaker version of what he used to be.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:27 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,820,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
There is a such thing as TOO much crying though. My friend has a 9 year old son who cries at the drop of a hat over little things. He's 9, needs to start learning emotional control to an extent as well.
I don't think anyone "needs" to learn emotional control.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:27 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleetan View Post
I don't think anyone "needs" to learn emotional control.
Lord, above, I do. Not necessarily just controlling your emotions, which can be more difficult, but your actions/reactions to your emotions is a very necessary skill for mature adults to have grasped at some point.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:12 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Crying isn't only about sad or hurt feelings. Crying at an especially poignant moment in drama, music, art are encouraged in our family.

Once we took our teens to the High Museum in Atlanta where there was a Norman Rockwell exhibit. I looked over at my 6 foot tall 16 year old son who was standing in front of that famous illustration of the brave little African American girl in a white dress walking to school guarded by white men while tomatoes were being thrown and splashed on the wall.http://www.artiste-peintre-abstrait...._il_tomato.jpg Tears were streaming down his face and I've never been so proud in my life. I felt we had done exactly what we set out to do to see him openly express such tenderness.

BTW, The father I spoke of in the OP who only knew how to express anger? he dropped dead of a heart attack when he was only 57. I don't think this was much of a coincidence.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:31 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
Overly emotional kids is a bad thing in my opinion. Nothing wrong with crying for a valid reason, but if you are just not getting your way and crying or over something stupid like a lost toy no way Jose! It is better to express your feelings through WORDS opposed to tears and whining. But that is just me...

Old 08-23-2013, 06:37 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
Unfortunately today's man has become a weaker version of what he used to be.
Yup. the castrated western male. I especially love all of the TV commercials where the male is made out to be a complete imbecile incapable of making a decision without the help of a woman.

But regardless, my stance on boys crying is the same as girls crying. No one wants to hear it, if you are upset TALK about it, don't cry about it. I can't help my kids if they don't tell me what is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting