Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:28 AM

945 posts, read 967,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I teach our sons that it is good to express your feelings. This doesn't always mean crying, but it's ok to show vulnerability or uncertainty. I think too many boys are taught to keep a stiff upper lip. I never understood why the males of our species were EVER taught to "hold it all in".
Because the emotional symbolism of remaining stalwart in trying times helps those that are weaker regain footing and normalcy.

If the President broke down in tears over every tragedy and event, then it shows weakness and lack of composure. This is the same if it is your big brother or father or equivalent.

It is completely understandable, if I had soldier in the foxholes cry every time they saw someone die or get maimed then they would be a horrible soldier, literally risking lives because they aren't composed.

Just because you don't overt express the emotion for all to see, doesn't mean they are devoid of the emotion. It sends its own message in the form of vigilance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:52 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,750,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Overly emotional kids is a bad thing in my opinion. Nothing wrong with crying for a valid reason, but if you are just not getting your way and crying or over something stupid like a lost toy no way Jose! It is better to express your feelings through WORDS opposed to tears and whining. But that is just me...
Yeah, my friend's kid is like that. Gets in trouble, he cries. Ipad loses battery? he cries. The kid cries all damn day, i'm kind of glad i stopped associating with that friend. (The kid in question is 9)

Old 08-23-2013, 02:35 PM

128 posts, read 183,688 times
Besides boys have to learn to never cry in front of women if they want to ever be respected.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:00 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,588,269 times
I agree that boys and girls should be able to show emotion but I'm not sure I agree with their ability to judge what's a 1 or 2 on the scale or a 9, 10. Someone crying at every 1, 2, has other issues. IMO. They should be taught to lower their anxiety. Strong or frequent emotions can be a sign that your child has anxiety. I just wouldn't want to over look that for the sake of letting emotions run free like the wind.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:28 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,919,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCatarre View Post
Besides boys have to learn to never cry in front of women if they want to ever be respected.
Balderdash. I tend to respect men MORE when they aren't afraid to show emotion at appropriate times. The key word there is "appropriate". Some things that upset people to the point of tears are silly.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:33 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,049,778 times
men have tears in them same as you and me . I see people cry and I cry . I cry at the drop of a hat . My son inherited that gene too . He gets upset he goes to the bathroom and crys . It upsets me to see folks cry .

Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,628,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Um. Crying (boy or girl) is for some deep hurt or death or something like that.

Not for a sporting event. As an ex-athlete, I can say that there are times of great disappointment, foul-ups, humiliation, embarrassment...but the character building opportunity there is to buck up and stand strong despite this.

Now if you dog dies, please...cry all day.

I think we should encourage appropriate crying.
True. I would definitely not encourage my sons or daughters to cry over trivial things. Also tears can be more about manipulation than anything real. Just because someone doesn't choose to cry doesn't mean they're going to explode from suppressed grief.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,628,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCatarre View Post
Especially in the workplace, men and also women should learn some self-control when it comes to emotions. It's like any other self-control -- there is a time and a place to cry -- NEVER NEVER in front of the boss, co-workers or subordinates should you ever cry.

A boy crying in front of classmates may become very vulnerable to bullies --- but also a girl could be.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:16 AM

634 posts, read 707,572 times
Everyone is emotional. It's how the emotion is displayed that is in question. Is it okay for boys and girls to cry? Of course. But they do have to learn when and where it is acceptable to do this just like you would have to learn when and where to show anger. You can't have people show anger at the littlest things all the time and you can't have people cry at the littlest things. People have to be taught how to recognize what they are feeling and use time and words to express it appropriately. For example, when I taught, there was a young girl, 14, who cried when I handed back her test because she got an A- and not an A. Seriously. She started to bawl and blubber in class in front of all of her peers. Is this ok? No.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:39 PM

30 posts, read 30,476 times
My father would go furious if I ever cried as a child. He would spank me over crying, not over what I had done. My mother was (and is) really caring though, plenty of hugs and kisses. I could never cry in front of anyone else though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting