Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:22 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,599,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
No it's just texas, i don't think most judges there have much in the way of brain cells.
That is a rather offensive comment to those of us who live in Texas and know differently. You cannot brand an entire state by what one judge decided.

I do agree that this particular judge seemed to follow the letter of the law instead of trying to help her out in a compassionate manner.

Texas has a tremendous amount of assistance available to students in need, such as this young lady.

She can get financial help through social services and/or charities, by being classified as 'homeless', by applying for grants and many other avenues that are open to students who have the need to support themselves.

So, she does have options besides working herself into such state of exhaustion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 05:08 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,249,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
That is a rather offensive comment to those of us who live in Texas and know differently. You cannot brand an entire state by what one judge decided.

I do agree that this particular judge seemed to follow the letter of the law instead of trying to help her out in a compassionate manner.

Texas has a tremendous amount of assistance available to students in need, such as this young lady.

She can get financial help through social services and/or charities, by being classified as 'homeless', by applying for grants and many other avenues that are open to students who have the need to support themselves.

So, she does have options besides working herself into such state of exhaustion.
I'm not branding the state just the judicial system which seems to constantly hand out these draconian levels of punishment. And texas has some of the lowest spending per capita in the country, and the lowest of the large states, so i question how much help is available for her.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I'm not branding the state just the judicial system which seems to constantly hand out these draconian levels of punishment. And texas has some of the lowest spending per capita in the country, and the lowest of the large states, so i question how much help is available for her.
Considering the judge is handing out punishment based on what the law requires, I'd think you would take issue with the truancy law and not the judge.

I don't know what 'draconian' judgments you have heard to make that declaration.

Lowest spending in which category specifically? You also have to factor in cost of living and pay rates when you look at spending.

I personally know of one young man whose parents moved away and simply left him behind. He went from couch to couch to his car for quite a while before someone steered him to the counselor at his high school. She immediately connected him to the social services worker and it went quickly from there. He was provided the free breakfast and lunch at school. He was provided with a stipend to stay at an extended stay place. He was given gift cards with which to purchase clothes, gas and other necessities. His part time work paid for his insurance and everything else.

All this covered the last 6 weeks of his junior year all the way through his entire senior year. He didn't have to work himself into exhaustion to accomplish this and he didn't have to drop out, which was what was going to quickly happen without intervention.

So, yeah, the help is there.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:59 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,249,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Considering the judge is handing out punishment based on what the law requires, I'd think you would take issue with the truancy law and not the judge.

I don't know what 'draconian' judgments you have heard to make that declaration.

Lowest spending in which category specifically? You also have to factor in cost of living and pay rates when you look at spending.

I personally know of one young man whose parents moved away and simply left him behind. He went from couch to couch to his car for quite a while before someone steered him to the counselor at his high school. She immediately connected him to the social services worker and it went quickly from there. He was provided the free breakfast and lunch at school. He was provided with a stipend to stay at an extended stay place. He was given gift cards with which to purchase clothes, gas and other necessities. His part time work paid for his insurance and everything else.

All this covered the last 6 weeks of his junior year all the way through his entire senior year. He didn't have to work himself into exhaustion to accomplish this and he didn't have to drop out, which was what was going to quickly happen without intervention.

So, yeah, the help is there.
Most of the time judges are within their power to be lenient depending unless the law says they are fixed with one sentence. And the judge said he would even rethink her sentance in light of hearing the facts. So no in this case the judge had the ability to use that data to factor in his decision and he chose not too. And given that texas is number 2 on the amount of it's citizens in jail pre 100,000,about 1/3 of executions since the death penalty was re-established have happened in texas, i'd say that qualifies as draconian enough. I also question your story since no child under 18 would be allowed to just stay on their own for 2 years.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:10 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,142,202 times
That judge should be ashamed of himself.

And like a previous poster said, why doesn't he try having the parents looked for? This poor girl is trying to support her siblings and instead of looking for the parents who abandoned them, the judge does this????

Shame on him.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I also question your story since no child under 18 would be allowed to just stay on their own for 2 years.
You can question it all you want....but since I was part of it getting done I know for a fact it is true.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:46 PM

62 posts, read 109,524 times
Quote:
"If you let one run loose, what are you gonna do with the rest of 'em? Let them go too?" Judge Moriarty asked the TV station.
This comment by itself shows that this judge is a brainless moron. How is missing school due to exhaustion from working long hours to support the family "running loose"? Sounds like the idiot totally ignored ALL details of the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting