Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 01:06 AM

744 posts, read 811,608 times

Advertisements

I think this is child abuse and I unfortunately have to deal with this person on a regular basis. I'm really concerned, how can I deal with this? This person does want to be a good parent but it seems like no matter how much I point out how bad the swearing is, nothing changes. We're talking multiple F-bombs per minute many times

Old 05-27-2012, 01:29 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Is she swearing *at* her kid or just when s/he can hear?

Old 05-27-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Is she swearing *at* her kid or just when s/he can hear?
Right next to - constantly, not at aside from rare circumstances maybe. He is an alcoholic and I believe this contributes to the obscene amount of swearing. It is a very bad situation, the kid is 4.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:44 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Right next to - constantly, not at aside from rare circumstances maybe. He is an alcoholic and I believe this contributes to the obscene amount of swearing. It is a very bad situation, the kid is 4.
If he is an alcoholic, then the problem is not the swearing, it's the drinking and any other bad behavior that is happening due to the drinking.

Where is the mother?

Old 05-27-2012, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
If he is an alcoholic, then the problem is not the swearing, it's the drinking and any other bad behavior that is happening due to the drinking.

Where is the mother?
Unfortunately the mother is not any better, although not an alcoholic she's bipolar and even worse actually. I happen to be pretty close to this kid and really hope I can do something before he get's much older but it's looking hopeless now I guess. I just feel so bad for him, he really got screwed as far as parents go. Hate to even think about it but maybe I should just do my best to divest myself from the whole picture and leave things to fate.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:39 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,976 times
Many parents swear in front of their kids.
The point is to get to to not swear when they are young, not so they don't swear as adults.
So as long as the kid doesn't swear and repeat his parents, who cares if he swears when he is an adult?

Old 05-27-2012, 08:40 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Unfortunately the mother is not any better, although not an alcoholic she's bipolar and even worse actually. I happen to be pretty close to this kid and really hope I can do something before he get's much older but it's looking hopeless now I guess. I just feel so bad for him, he really got screwed as far as parents go. Hate to even think about it but maybe I should just do my best to divest myself from the whole picture and leave things to fate.
Your priorities are really messed up.

Actively alcoholic father ad bipolar mother and you are worried about SWEARING?????

This is why CPS exists. You have a moral responsibility to call them. Leaving it to "fate" is unacceptable.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:46 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,116,345 times
If there is no actual abuse do not call CPS. Swearing in front of a child is not child abuse.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:25 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,721 times
Swearing "in front of" the child is not that big a deal to me. While I don't agree with it, it's not child abuse. Swearing "at" the child is another matter. It doesn't even have to be swear words, just talking to a child in any degrading, belittling way is wrong. But just because the parents have potty mouth is not a major cause for concern.

However, alcoholism and mental illness could be. If the father is drunk, he cannot take care of a child properly. I would be far more worried about that than the language he uses. Is the mother under treatment for her bipoloar disorder or taking medication? If untreated and active, she also would not be able to care for her child properly. I am a little puzzled as to why, with two parents with major, debilitating problems, you think swearing is the main cause for alarm.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:26 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Your priorities are really messed up.

Actively alcoholic father ad bipolar mother and you are worried about SWEARING?????

This is why CPS exists. You have a moral responsibility to call them. Leaving it to "fate" is unacceptable.
CPS doesn't care about swearing however some of the other things that you have observed may cause you to call.

Is the child being hit (when Dad is drunk)?
Is the child afraid of Mom & Dad?
Is the child left alone in the house(when Dad is on a bender)?
Is the child fed (because Mom is manic and doesn't notice her crying hungry child or Mom is too depressed to get out of bed) to buy or make food)?
Are there dangerous objects (half filled glasses of alcohol,knives, guns) left where the child can find them?
Does the child have medical care when needed? up-to-date on shots? Infections & illnesses treated?

Other than hearing swear words is the child fed, warm, clean, safe, dressed and cared for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting