Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:53 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times

Advertisements

I've found myself frustrated because I have no back up for childcare. I have a 9 year old who I care for afterschool and on days off (which seem to happen more and more...) I have not worked since he was born, except for one part-time job where I lasted 2 days (they only gave me 2 hours a day and it was not worth it).

I would love to work from home but I think everything I see is a scam. My husband will start a full time job soon (we just moved from NY to Vermont) and I am so frustrated and fed up. I want to (and need to) contribute to the family income but all my attempts to work are thwarted. Meanwhile, even if I try to get a weekend or night job (another option) I have a lot of education and people won't hire me (I am overqualified).

Anyhow, can anyone tell me how they do it? I don't want to hear about loving and helpful grandmas because even when we lived in NY WITH my parents, my mother would NOT help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 05:07 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,958 times
That's a tough one. What about the school district or a nearby school district? They need a lot more than just teachers and aids. You may be able to find a job there where you'd have the same breaks as your child.
A good place to look for child care on days off and in the summer is the park district. Ours has "Day Off" days when there is no school (institute days, holidays) that they take the kids on a "field trip" for the day to somewhere local. They also offer great camps in the summer but you have to sign up early for them.
Start out part time and see how things go! Good luck to you. I know how hard that is!

Old 09-21-2007, 06:56 PM

45 posts, read 261,557 times
i was laid off from work (along with half of the united states) in may 2001 (and not for the first time) and found myself with two children and looking for a job -- any job that would pay enough to live on.

i went to countless interviews where there were ten other applicants in the room with just as good (well, almost just as good ) skills as mine. eventually i was so desperate for work i rewrote my resume, eliminating most of my achievements and removing work experience as a systems analyst until i was left with clerical skills and no work experience. so i went to a temp agency and passed the tests (yeah, i can type, spell and use proper punctuation. i can also figure out how to file things alphabetically. plus, i have excellent computer skills -- but i'm not giving that to anybody for free).

anyway, i asked for long-term assignments (altho i did do some strange short ones, like being the "stroller lady" at the mall on the day after thanksgiving) and got some experience under my belt and then got my present position through a temp-to-perm assignment.

the temp part of working is really hard (cause you always get the scut work) but i learned some very interesting things, not only about how different people work but also about how it feels to be invisible, because to many people, a temp isn't really there.

while this isn't a total solution for you, it's only an idea. at one point i was so desperate looking for a suitable position, i got to checking the obits, to see if anybody with a job had died recently .

as for taking care of your kids while you work, what about finding an older teenager, college student or even a retired person to be a backup for you (since it's only odd days), even if you have to compensate them for it. you may consider bartering services for child care. (get your mind out of the gutter, i'm talking about providing transportation or shopping or something like that! )

Old 09-21-2007, 08:51 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times
You could be a bus driver or cafeteria worker, as those would be while your child is in school. You could also work nights or weekends sometimes when your husband is around. The bartering idea is awesome too.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:31 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I just work a 9-5 job and when the child was younger I had him in the school sponsored aftercare program. You just drop them off on the way to work and pick them up on the way home. There were many programs around town that took kids on school holidays. I used his old daycare for that kind of drop in care. It was about $25/day.

When he was age 2-4 I took a job that considered you full time working 30 hours a week. So I had benefits and I worked about 10-4 or so. My son went to a church daycare during that time.

I once interviewed to work at the school, but the pay for an aide position or secretary is so low it's pointless.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:23 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
If you're trying to get a night or weekend job, you might leave off some of your education, on your resume. That way, you don't look overqualified.

Or, you could do a home daycare, perhaps.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:38 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
What kind of night/weekend job are you looking into? Many retail stores would LOVE someone with an education to come work for them those hours. I know when the kids were younger I worked at Macy's a couple nights/week and one weekend shift and got hired on the spot in my interview. I too have an education but they viewed that as hiring someone responsible and dependable, which is often hard to come by. I worked in a commissioned department where you got a base salary and commission and made on average about $15/hour, this was 12 years ago.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:59 AM

21 posts, read 50,673 times
you already have a very important job. CEO MOM. If at all possible can you budget the household to just your husbands salary? cut spending? your job as mom may not pay a salary, but it will pay you back in the long run, for raising good people (your children). you can work full time at a career after the children are in high school. you only need 10 years in most jobs to become vested. I found that if you work for someone else you cant give them your all. that belongs to your kids. if the school calls you at work because one of your children got sick, you have to take off that day plus one or more days. the employer gets frustrated, you feel bad, your not dependable , blah blah blah. you already have your priorities in order (judging by your post) try to hang on. I believe that in todays society, we are forced to work and our children will suffer. they need you in these early years. I hope this helps, I think you need to know how important you are as a mom, so I am going to remind you. You are a MOM. You rule!!!!

Old 09-22-2007, 02:28 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Thanks for all the great feedback. Unfortunately we just moved here (to Vermont) so my husband is also looking for full time work. There's no way to make enough on his temporary salary.

Eventually I will have a good job (I hope) because I have the education.

I plan to contact a few temp places and see if I can get some short term assignments or just try retail and explain I need certain days/time off.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:05 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Your question seems to be what to do about after school care and care for you child when he/she isn't in school but you have to work. The people in your community who are going to know this are the working mothers. In our community the city parks and recreation has an after school care program and they also provide all-day care on days when school isn't in session. Why don't you ask other mothers/parents who work? Seems like your neighbors and teachers at your child's school should be able to point you in the right direction. Or maybe go to a PTA meeting and just start talking to parents about it. You can't be the only one in your situation.

Good luck and I hope you find the information that you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting