Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 08:21 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Exact same is redundant you know

It makes my skin crawl when someone says it. Like I said I respectfully disagree.
A personal conviction doesnt mean im wrong. Perhaps you had a negative experience but it doesnt change anything. Children need proper parenting by their parents with teaching/training/positives rather than spanking, yelling and hitting. Even using your dog example, you wouldnt do those to a dog, why a child or vice versa?

Old 09-17-2014, 08:31 PM

866 posts, read 629,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I fall into this category, as I've always felt that being spanked was an expression of hate, rather than love. That's how I felt then, and that's how I feel now. I've often said that I'd give anything to grow up in a non-spanking family, even if it meant being struck down before the age of 20 - just the joy of never having to be spanked as a kid would totally be worth it.

And I know the spanking was done out of hate, as my daddy did the same with my mom - you don't ever hit people out of love, whether it be adult or a child - so I fail to understand why anyone would accept being spanked as a child to be an act of love.

Maybe I'm an oddball, who knows...
If your parents were "Caretaker Acceptors", like my parents were, they would have UNQUESTIONABLY endorsed their own parent's brutality as "good and loving" and passed that good and loving behavior on to the next generation! I don't now believe that our dad hit us out of "hate" but he very definitely EXCUSED his brutality as some kind of "love" while simultaneously DENYING that he really wanted REVENGE! The power of DENIAL is an especially useful mental tool in the hands of many adults. We get this unique power at about age 5-6 when we begin to see how our parents and others are USING IT to put smoke screens around their sinister activities!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
train
trān/Submit
verb
teach (a person or animal) a particular skill or type of behavior through practice and instruction over a period of time.
"the plan trains people for promotion"
synonyms: instruct, teach, coach, tutor, school, educate, prime, drill, ground; More

SAME THING. Train=teach.
I trained a few dogs and cats but could easily see the dead on similarities of training them or kids. IMO, the very same principles apply but not to an IGNORANT parent!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Hell we cause most of the naughty by our punitive behavior, assuming kids are strongly motivated to misbehave by default.
You sure got that right! Not only "our punitive behavior" but also our own inner conflicts and issues that very few parent will ever acknowledge!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Point out where I said "don't discipline your children". I said don't hit them, that's what ignorant small minded brutes with little brain power do. If someone upsets me and I punch them in the face, I could go to jail on assault charges. If someone does the same to a kid it's "discipline", those rats should be locked up, spineless small dark minded people who bully kids to get their rocks off on a power trip.
PERFECTLY SAID! 3 CHEERS TO YOU!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdeanne View Post
Wow, you are the king of inflammatory abusive language. Is this how you "discipline" your children instead? Are these the language skills those of us who have spanked our children are lacking?
The skills hitter are lacking are about having NO CONSCIENCE!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ad homs on either side just belittle the debate.

But the debate itself begs the question, since we know children can be raised successfully without hitting them, and there is a risk of damaging them emotionally, why would a rational parent CHOOSE to hit their children?
Because they are NOT rational! They are still immature, poorly raised and mentally damaged kids them self!

Old 09-17-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Exactly.

Anyone spanking or "whooping" on a regular basis has no clue with real discipline really is and they need to educate themselves out of their ignorance.

A spank across the backside should be administered only in the event the child is doing, or just did, something very dangerous - like running into a busy street or playing with matches.
Exactly how dose inflicting pain, humiliation and FEAR prevent anyone from doing something "very dangerous"? Seems to me that the Hitter is teaching the child all about the DANGERS of disappointing, shocking or humiliating the Hitter!
Hitting me over matches or mistakes in traffic NEVER taught me a thing about these "dangers" but it sure taught me how and why to beware of those frightening Hitters!

Old 09-17-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdeanne View Post
but I would like you and others who don't spank to stop generalizing in a way that puts all parents who do in the same category as rage-aholic, abusive, ignorant, or disturbed parents who are not TRYING to parent in their childrens best interest.
I honestly don't know how else to describe them or my very sick and inadequate parents!

Quote:
I swat my children bottoms (when they are young, phased out by around 6 or 7 years old) because it gets a DIFFERENT response and is somewhat easier for them to understand. I am teaching them to trust and obey me (and yes they still trust me when their bottom stings a bit).
LOL, so obedience and CONTROL is your main objective - like a lion tamer? Did you stop hitting them by 6-7 because they were reaching an age where they could HIT YOU BACK? My abusive parents completely DESTROYED any trust I ever had for them and it was never restored after they succeeded in killing it with their neurotic need for OBEDIENCE & CONTROL!

Quote:
Once they learn that basic lesson (and if I do not violate their trust)
LOL, so you, like my stupid parents, believe that brutality will not destroy the trust that was there BEFORE their brutality began!

Old 09-17-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
My parents spanked often and hard and my siblings and I all turned out to be successful and emotionally balanced human beings. There's nothing wrong with ordering a child to go outside and get a "switch." We need to go back to the basic principles that made this country great. "Whoopings" is one of those principles.
If you accepted and bonded with your beloved Caregiver, then ANYTHING they say do is OK - like the NAZI'S in WW II who "JUST FOLLOWED ORDERS!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting