Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 09:27 AM

400 posts, read 564,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You dodged the question completely.

You are CHOOSING to hit (and I do not care which verb you choose, hit is still the correct one) your children and you have not remotely said why that is acceptable. Or explained why you choose hitting when many other EQUALLY effective methods of discipline exist.

The irony of bringing trust into it almost laughable. You are teaching your child, that it is okay for someone who "loves" them to hit them. That is not arguable, it is a fact.
I did not dodge the question. I told you that the equally effective methods can be EQUALLY destructive. It is a matter of how you use them. It's a valid point and you have not addressed it.

Yes I choose to spank... I told you why and HOW it works in MY home. (I use other methods too so I know how and when those work)

By your logic we could talk ourselves out of needing to parent all together as there are some success stories of kids who grew up severely neglected in drug addicted homes.

Saying that someone "turned out just fine" is a very relative statement. You are twisting my giving you room to make your own parenting decisions into an argument for why I should not be allowed to make mine.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:09 AM

31,938 posts, read 34,468,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Hitting your kid might shut them up- but it will make for an emotionally distURbed idiot later on. Hitting is not the answer.
My parents spanked often and hard and my siblings and I all turned out to be successful and emotionally balanced human beings. There's nothing wrong with ordering a child to go outside and get a "switch." We need to go back to the basic principles that made this country great. "Whoopings" is one of those principles.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:37 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,414,744 times
Spanking as a regular form of punishment is lazy parenting, plain and simple.

Yes, it should be used in extreme potentially life-threatening situations under the age of 8.

But anyone who cannot discipline their child without it on a regular basis, especially older kids, has bigger problems than they realize.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,048,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
We need to go back to the basic principles that made this country great. "Whoopings" is one of those principles.
Hmmm... I'll have dust off my de Tocqueville and see if he mentioned that.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:39 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,233,547 times
Quote:
And you can discipline children without ever laying a finger on them.

I agree.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:57 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,116,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Do we know that? Or are we assuming that what worked for one child must work for all children?

Begging the question - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:15 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,658,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Do we know that? Or are we assuming that what worked for one child must work for all children?

Begging the question - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting claim. And since you bring up fallacy lets actually use a little logic.

The above claim actually has two parts that must be proven true in order to be "correct".

1. THAT THERE EXISTS A SUB-POPULATION OF CHILDREN THAT WILL RESPOND TO NO OTHER DISCIPLINE METHOD THAT DOES NOT INVOLVE HITTING THEM.

Ok lets look at that claim.

Something on the order of 70-80 of American parents spank. That is a very large sub population. So if that sub-population exists then they would not be able to function in an environment that provides only NON-corporal punishment based discipline. Places like school. So why are schools able to effectively discipline the vast majority of young children in elementary school?

Additionally, you would expect equally large numbers of these children who must be hit in order to be functional adults to be born into families who practice strong, consistent discipline without corporal punishment. Where are they?

Finally, where is the proof that this subpopulation even exists? I have supported my claim, that children can be successfully raised in a system of discipline that need not include hitting. Where is the proof that some kids have to be hit? Given the sheer numbers of people who are hitting their children, then there should be some sort of evidence for the existence of this sub-population.

2. AND THAT PARENTS WHO ARE HITTING THEIR CHILDREN ARE DETERMINING THAT NO OTHER METHOD OF DISCIPLINE WILL WORK FOR THAT CHILD.

This part is damn near bordering on the ridiculous but okay lets look at it anyway.

What characteristics show a parent that a child has to be hit in order to be properly disciplined?

The vast majority of parents who hit their children, will at some point hit all of their children. If this is truly a sub-population issue wouldn't it logically follow that parents are evaluating each child and finding that some don't need to be hit?

How come parents, who were not hit as children, grow up to not hit their own children? Why aren't an equal proportion of these parents also identifying their children as being unable to respond to any other discipline?

Additionally, the same vast majority of parents who hit their children are those people who were hit. The whole "it worked for me" thing. But that idea, put forth by many in this very thread, contradicts the idea that parents have evaluated their child, tried every other method, and determined that only hitting will work.

Sorry but the idea that some kids have to be hit is jsut not supported logically or by evidence.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:34 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,141,900 times
Quote:
1. THAT THERE EXISTS A SUB-POPULATION OF CHILDREN THAT WILL RESPOND TO NO OTHER DISCIPLINE METHOD THAT DOES NOT INVOLVE HITTING THEM.
The whole argument is silly. Spanking is not a discipline method. It is one small action within a faulty strategy. When speaking of what "works" one really needs to address what outcome they seek. I suppose that if obedience is what you seek for an outcome, then spanking and the punitive strategy of which it is a part very well may "work". But it seems like a bad outcome to seek to me.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:00 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,894,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hmmm... I'll have dust off my de Tocqueville and see if he mentioned that.
Couldn't rep you, but I am still laughing! Perhaps you could consult Paine, as well?

Old 06-02-2012, 08:10 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,951,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
My parents spanked often and hard and my siblings and I all turned out to be successful and emotionally balanced human beings. There's nothing wrong with ordering a child to go outside and get a "switch." We need to go back to the basic principles that made this country great. "Whoopings" is one of those principles.
Slavery was also a pretty basic thing in this country too, should we go back to that as well?
And it was pretty basic for a woman to be in the kitchen, would you like to go back to making sandwiches?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting