Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:25 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,958,468 times

Advertisements

So I thought I would do a little research into what Instagram really is about, I knew it was some picture sharing thing but didn't know specifics.

I downloaded it to my phone, signed up for it, and then took a picture of my mouse pad.

Basically what I see instagram is all about is a glorified picture sharing system.

You take a picture, it has effects you can add to the picture and then you upload it. Mine is giving me 4 options, Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare and Tumblr. You can select one or all or none and simply upload it to Instagram.

Above those 4 options, you had to SELECT to "geotag" the picture, it doesn't auto select. So I had to SELECT to geotag it, which I didn't.

But if this is some picture program, which you take pictures with and then use effects and then use to upload to social sites you already use then I don't see what the huge issue is if you set some security settings.

Set them before people start following you.

If your kid already uses social media sites, this seems like cool way to upload a picture to facebook and twitter at the same time and if the security settings are private and you don't toggle the geotag option then I don't see the big deal.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:31 AM

885 posts, read 1,878,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Because they probably never set down restrictions in the first place.
Before you even GIVE the child the phone you can put down restrictions on it, block certain things on the internet via your cell service provider, set time restrictions which disable certain features like calling or texting except to certain people during certain hours.

You also TALK with the child and make sure you set down clear boundaries and if they are broken don't hesitate to enforce them.

And how can you tell by a picture if people are underage drinking?
Many people look younger than they really are.
because they tag it #underagedrinking and post pics of it like candy

Old 06-02-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Because the terms of service say 13 for a reason. Also, even after you enable the privacy settings, you have to go and block everyone who is already following you. Lastly, it doesn't stop the kid from being able to search and see people doing things that a kid shouldn't see (drugs, drinking and driving, sexual things, cutting, underage driking, etc).

I'm actually in the thick of it right now with an 11 year old family member and her friends. It took ONE parent in this circle of friends (7 kids) to give her kid an iphone 4 and it's been hell ever since with this kid and technology.
Let me also mention I took some time to search through stuff and unless your kid is INTENTIONALLY searching for "drugs" or whatever else.

I can find a website to browse or anything either so you have to on the app specifically search for things with those tags.

And if your kid is searching for that stuff, its not the phones fault, it's the child and the child needs to be talked to about drugs or whatever. If the child is searching up stuff like that then its not because they suddenly have a phone to do so its because they are curious and need a good talk.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
So I thought I would do a little research into what Instagram really is about, I knew it was some picture sharing thing but didn't know specifics.

I downloaded it to my phone, signed up for it, and then took a picture of my mouse pad.

Basically what I see instagram is all about is a glorified picture sharing system.

You take a picture, it has effects you can add to the picture and then you upload it. Mine is giving me 4 options, Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare and Tumblr. You can select one or all or none and simply upload it to Instagram.

Above those 4 options, you had to SELECT to "geotag" the picture, it doesn't auto select. So I had to SELECT to geotag it, which I didn't.

But if this is some picture program, which you take pictures with and then use effects and then use to upload to social sites you already use then I don't see what the huge issue is if you set some security settings.

Set them before people start following you.

If your kid already uses social media sites, this seems like cool way to upload a picture to facebook and twitter at the same time and if the security settings are private and you don't toggle the geotag option then I don't see the big deal.
We aren't talking about teenagers who at least have a tiny bit of knowledge about what creepers are. WE are talking about children here, who sign up for stuff and have no idea.

Also - a big deal is that people can comment on your KIDS pictures. My niece posted a picture of her face, she's 11, she is very pretty and some 19 year old posts "You are sexy" then 3 other young men keep it going. Maybe not a big deal to some, but to me, nobody should be calling an 11 year old sexy.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
because they tag it #underagedrinking and post pics of it like candy
On the app you have to specifically search for that kind of stuff.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
We aren't talking about teenagers who at least have a tiny bit of knowledge about what creepers are. WE are talking about children here, who sign up for stuff and have no idea.

Also - a big deal is that people can comment on your KIDS pictures. My niece posted a picture of her face, she's 11, she is very pretty and some 19 year old posts "You are sexy" then 3 other young men keep it going. Maybe not a big deal to some, but to me, nobody should be calling an 11 year old sexy.
How does he know she is 11?
He probably doesn't.
She should have put her privacy settings to private and then only added friends.

Simple fix, she puts the privacy settings as private and then takes off the people she doesn't know and doesn't accept follow request from strangers.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Again with the fear mongering?

What are the chances there is going to be a pedophile where they live who wants them in specific?

Chances are whatever creeper is going to see that picture is going to look at where is it and be hundreds and hundreds of miles away.
You are missing the point.

1. Why put your kid (or allow them to put themselves) out there on the internet?

2. "chances are" is that same thing as "famous last words" - in most of the things that come to my attention, the creepers were NOT and ARE not 100's and 100's of miles away 100% of the "time".

3. Creepers may not want a specific kid, they have this great website (instagram) where they can go window shopping, friend your kid (aka follow them), comment on all their pretty pictures "wow you're cute", "Hey you're very pretty!" for months and months, interact with them to the point where YOUR kid starts commenting back and they become a "friend" from that point on to when there's an opportunity to show up where your kid is could takes months or years, it's called "grooming" and it starts on sites like instagram, it's very real.

http://www.vachss.com/guest_dispatches/grooming.html read that link and think about how much easier it makes it when there's a website like instagram.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
You are missing the point.

1. Why put your kid (or allow them to put themselves) out there on the internet?

2. "chances are" is that same thing as "famous last words" - in most of the things that come to my attention, the creepers were NOT and ARE not 100's and 100's of miles away.

3. Creepers may not want a specific kid, they have this great website (instagram) where they can go window shopping, friend your kid (aka follow them), comment on all their pretty pictures "wow you're cute", "Hey you're very pretty!" for months and months, interact with them to the point where YOUR kid starts commenting back and they become a "friend" from that point on to when there's an opportunity to show up where your kid is could takes months or years, it's called "grooming" and it starts on sites like instagram.
A lot of kids put pictures on facebook, put their sites as private and they are just fine.

Teach them not to fall for it or be a moron and tell people personal info like address or whatever or meet up with these people in person.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:

Moderator cut: Deleted the pics but left the discussion about them.

Searched the website above, had their location and time. WHY do this?

Still dont see the big deal?
Do you know those children?

Why are you exposing them?

I'm getting the willies from this thread. Seriously. You are doing the vary thing you claim to be warning people against.

Last edited by JustJulia; 06-02-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 06-02-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Do you know those children?

Why are you exposing them?

I'm getting the willies from this thread. Seriously. You are doing the vary thing you claim to be warning people against.
I'm proving a point, no I don't know them, I'm glad you're getting the willies, it the whole reason I'm talking to people here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.