Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:43 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I would like supporting evidence for that fact, please.
Well i think it's pretty much common sense that people would not be leaving rural areas for factories if the former was giving that good of an income.

Rural Chinese Farmer Finds New Path To Wealth : NPR
Assembly Factory Conditions in China Are Not What They Seem - Notebookcheck.net News
Farming in China: Amid China's economic transformation, many farmers struggle - Los Angeles Times
Faces of Globalization - Factory vs. Farm | Global Envision
More Chinese Farmers to Settle in Urban Areas
Arable land idle as farmers work in cities | Economy | chinadaily.com.cn

I can get more if youd like. But you can also look at the history of the industrial revolution to see the same thing that happened in Europe and America. And a good series to watch is the blood,sweat and series. Which usually is on planet green, and the workers in the factories give the reasons why even under the strict conditions working there is still more beneficial.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:45 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Anyway getting back to the topic on hand, i don't think that instagram itself is a bad product. Parents just need to be aware of it and maintain control until their kids are mature enough to look into the things themselves.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:57 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Well i think it's pretty much common sense that people would not be leaving rural areas for factories if the former was giving that good of an income.
Oh. I thought you were comparing APPLE factories to other factories.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Anyway getting back to the topic on hand, i don't think that instagram itself is a bad product. Parents just need to be aware of it and maintain control until their kids are mature enough to look into the things themselves.
I think that is the case for many technological advances/products.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:44 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
That is a very sad attitude. Apple is not just using Chinese labor. They are breaking Chinese law. If we did not buy the products that support these abusive practices, then the abusive practices could not continue. But westerners are an entitled lot and must have their toys. Too bad about the accidents, illegal working conditions, etc..
Yes, bad Westerners are the only ones who own iPhones, iPads and Macs.

There are Apple stores in China, Hong Kong, Japan and Australia too. I'm sure there are hundreds or even thousands of other retail stores in those countries that sell the products as well.

http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/

Old 06-10-2012, 01:07 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
I am adamant on this one. No way will the kids have a tv in their room. I used to know why I felt that way. Now I cannot remember. Why is it important for a kid to have a tv in their room? What little tv we watch, we tend to watch together.
We feel the same way. We actually only have one TV in the whole house. We were at a friends house recently, and there was a TV in every room. Every bedroom, every living area/family room. Even the kitchen. And they were all on. It was crazy.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:21 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
That is a very sad attitude. Apple is not just using Chinese labor. They are breaking Chinese law. If we did not buy the products that support these abusive practices, then the abusive practices could not continue. But westerners are an entitled lot and must have their toys. Too bad about the accidents, illegal working conditions, etc..
Well, you probably shouldn't watch animated shows and films, then, either. Check this article out, and Google around and you'll find more info: Banksy's Simpsons Opening Asks "Is Slave Labor Behind Our Products?" | Change.org News

As far as Instagram... if you provide your child with a smartphone and dataplan, then you should have an agreement with your child that gives you the right, as the parents and the provider of the device and service for the device - to ask for their phone at any time to see what they've been using it for. And if they don't agree to hand it over when you ask for it, or give you attitude about it, you can always, as the parent, revoke the privilege of having it to begin with.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Well, you probably shouldn't watch animated shows and films, then, either. Check this article out, and Google around and you'll find more info: Banksy's Simpsons Opening Asks "Is Slave Labor Behind Our Products?" | Change.org News
Thank you. I will read that.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:14 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Because the thread keeps going off topic, I am closing it. Please continue in the Technology forum, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting