Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do your kids wear Heelys?
No 57 69.51%
Yes. No helmet or wrist guards 21 25.61%
Yes. Wrist guards but no Helmet 1 1.22%
Yes. Wrist guards + helmet 3 3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:29 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times

Advertisements

My daughter kept bugging me about the great craze of Heelys. Being a loving parent I went to look for them but didn't find the size in one store. As I was driving to another store, I heard on the radio how the emergency rooms were have numerous kids a week breaking their wrists and getting other injuries. I turned around and went back home:

Doctors See Increase In Heely-Related Injuries - [domain blocked due to spam]

A lot of stores and other public places, like our library, in my area do not allow them anyway.

Heelys and Street Gliders Injuries: A New Type of Pediatric Injury -- Vioreanu et al. 119 (6): e1294 -- Pediatrics

Do your kids wear them ? Do you have them wear helmets/wrist guards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 07:31 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
My oldest son really wants a pair but being as he is recovering from his second set of elbow/knee road rashes from falling off his bike, I am not inclined to get them for him lol.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:47 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
We don't have them. However, I would indeed make my kids wear a helmet when using them. Any bikes/scooters/skateboards/roller blades/miscellaneous wheeled anything usage at our house requires a helmet - no exceptions (not even for me LOL).

Where can they wear them but outside or at home? Around here they are banned in schools and most public places.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:16 PM

560 posts, read 2,188,101 times
I think they are the most ridiculous thing to hit the kid market lately. It drives me crazy when kids use them in the stores racing up and down the aisles and everyone has to get out of their way. You wouldn't let your kids wear skates to the store so why do parents think Heelys are ok?

Old 09-24-2007, 04:45 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
Oh I cant stand those things, specialy if you are at an indoor public palce and you are nearly ramed by some child waeing them. i mean gee why would a parent let a child ware something like that in a place whare they could hurt some one or themselves is beyond me.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:43 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,803 times
My kids have been bugging us for a pair and the answer is going to be no.

Helmets are a requirement for us when riding/skating and this wouldn't be any different. If they want to roller skate, it'll be done at home.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:04 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times
My kids do have heely's. They wear them around but don't get crazy doing tricks on them or anything. We have a very strict rule about being respectful of people around them. I also hate it when a kid cuts me off rolling around on them. If my kid does it, I take them away. I haven't had to take them yet and we've had them since Christmas. Most kids around here have them. No, they aren't allowed at school. I wouldn't let them wear them to school even if they were allowed. I didn't realise that a lot of kids were getting hurt. None of the kids I know have gotten hurt, and like I said, most of the kids do have them. I will have to watch for that. MY biggest complaint, besides the kids not respecting others when wearing them is that the kids walk funny in them and I worry about the effects on their feet/back. So my kids cannot wear them all the time. Put them on to wheel around, then off for running/playing.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:23 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,636 times
My 9 year old got Heelys for XMAS. Took him a while to get the hang of them, and were very fashionable and well-worn for the spring. He used them when we did longer walks around town and such. He had a few Heely-etiquette reprimands at the library and in the house (where they were ultimately forbidden), but then he got it together. I think the problem is once the kids master it, they find it harder NOT to roll, than to roll.

I guess if he was a more "extreme" user -- going fast or practicing tricks, etc. I'd require protective gear, but for just walking around I never even considered it.

By us it seems to be a passing fad, so my concerns about health effects on the legs/feet are marginal.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:26 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times
When these wear out we won't be getting new ones. If they want to roll around we'll get roller skates or something. Our are forbidden in the house, too. The basement was a great place to heely until they liked to swing on my washer door and pulled it off the hinges! I thought my husband was going to skin them! He just fixed it and banned them from using them in the house now. Too bad for them, cuz the basement was a great place to use them!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:38 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Shoes of destruction... in my opinion. I also heard that they are bad for the legs because of the position you put the legs in when you "heel"... no way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting