Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 07:49 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,091,970 times

Advertisements

What a great story, Remisk. Thank you for sharing. The amount of time this man spent talking to your son impresses me. Few people would do that.

I'm sure your son will remember this the rest of his life. How wonderful for him.

(Welcome back, BTW. Good to see you posting again.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 07:54 AM

970 posts, read 2,962,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
What a great story, Remisk. Thank you for sharing. The amount of time this man spent talking to your son impresses me. Few people would do that.

I'm sure your son will remember this the rest of his life. How wonderful for him.

(Welcome back, BTW. Good to see you posting again.)
Thank you! I've been super busy with renovating our home, work, other issues etc
But I'm back now, and I thought I'd share this story as a bit of a welcome-back to myself

Old 06-05-2012, 09:24 AM

400 posts, read 564,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Really? That sounds like an excuse. Do you go to parent teacher conferences? Surely you knew this was an issue before the end of the year.
I think you are missing the point of the story. Everyone knows that great parents sometimes raise un-motivated kids. There is only so much you can do to set your kid up for success. When people try to force academic achievement their kids often become distant and resentful and depressed feeling like they could never impress the demanding parent. An outside example is often key to giving the kid new perspective so they don't feel like their parent's love and acceptance is conditional but they still see there is something to strive for.

The point is when someone sees that they have the opportunity to help a child and they do it they can really make a difference.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:43 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,482,802 times
It is strange how kids can hear something a hundred thousand times from their parents and never get it, then when someone else tells them the same thing, suddenly it clicks. Doesn't necessarily mean the parent isn't doing their part or telling the kid, just that the kid didn't take it to heart until it was reinforced. That is wonderful that a stranger took the time to talk to this child. It is reassuring that there are still people out there who care enough to make a difference in the life of a perfect stranger.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:48 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,223,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
It is strange how kids can hear something a hundred thousand times from their parents and never get it, then when someone else tells them the same thing, suddenly it clicks. Doesn't necessarily mean the parent isn't doing their part or telling the kid, just that the kid didn't take it to heart until it was reinforced. That is wonderful that a stranger took the time to talk to this child. It is reassuring that there are still people out there who care enough to make a difference in the life of a perfect stranger.
I agree. Happens all the time. Your parent can say the same thing until his face is blue. Your spouse can say something. Your brother or sister can say it. But until it comes from a completely unbiased anonymous source, it's like it has no meaning. Completely stupid and completely fascinating at the same time. I think part of being more mature is realizing which people in your life really DO have good advice for you!!!!!!!

To to thread topic at hand, I remember a poster from when I was a little kid. I'll never forget it...and as someone who in particular loves cars, it still sits in my head:
Attached Thumbnails
Our children need more role models like this....-justification.jpg  

Old 06-05-2012, 09:50 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,223,092 times
Btw, as someone who does get approached by children because of cars, motorcycles, etc, I always say the same thing - stay in school, work really hard, never give up, and you can do anything or have anything you want.

I kind of hate that you sometimes have to motivate people with material things, but they are children, and that's how you get through to a lot of children.

With any luck, as they mature they will realize that excellence becomes a habit and is its own reward.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:44 PM

970 posts, read 2,962,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Personally, I think what really made Terron's lesson different than a lot of the ones I've been preaching, is the series of stories he told him - stories that could knock some sense into a 12 year old boy. For example, his "Cheaters Never Prosper" rule - it was attached to one of these stories, this one was about how the student who sat next to him in his Business Class would copy off him every day, and that student ended up failing the final exam for that class, dropping out of school and eventually ended up in prison.

I didn't grow up around that sort of thing. I've told my son that those things happen every day, but it really didn't click in until he actually met someone that knew a person that it happened to.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:05 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,787,805 times
Kudos all around. You can't be totally distraught with comments inquring about the first turned in assignment. Plus side; positive Change has occured. May this have amazing snowball affect(S) on your child's life.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:03 PM

18,410 posts, read 31,536,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Really? That sounds like an excuse. Do you go to parent teacher conferences? Surely you knew this was an issue before the end of the year.

I agree.

I wanted see my all childrens homework every night, especially one of my sons, the one with the excuses.....

I didnt want to hear, yeah Papa i did it.

No, i want to see it.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:06 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I agree.

I wanted see my all childrens homework every night, especially one of my sons, the one with the excuses.....

I didnt want to hear, yeah Papa i did it.

No, i want to see it.
So that you can be responsible for his homework rather than him? Or maybe he should get a crap grade and learn his lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting