U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:45 PM

86 posts, read 126,731 times

Advertisements

sleeping in their own beds? We believe our child was scared while sleeping at the day care facility. For the past few weeks, our child continues to awake every thirty minutes and cry. She is almost a year old and we haven't had any issues prior to the past few weeks. We have tried everything. We have even tried to wait her out, while crying in her crib. We couldn't do it! She falls right to sleep in our bed and still awakes many times throughout the night. The first week this started, was horrible, we didn't get any sleep. We must have gone in her room a dozen times a night, comforting her to put her back to sleep. We eventually brought her into our room due to the lack of sleep.

Any other parents that might have gone through this? We haven't encountered this problem with other children.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 08:58 PM

9,444 posts, read 16,438,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerbeeishere View Post
sleeping in their own beds? We believe our child was scared while sleeping at the day care facility. For the past few weeks, our child continues to awake every thirty minutes and cry. She is almost a year old and we haven't had any issues prior to the past few weeks. We have tried everything. We have even tried to wait her out, while crying in her crib. We couldn't do it! She falls right to sleep in our bed and still awakes many times throughout the night. The first week this started, was horrible, we didn't get any sleep. We must have gone in her room a dozen times a night, comforting her to put her back to sleep. We eventually brought her into our room due to the lack of sleep.

Any other parents that might have gone through this? We haven't encountered this problem with other children.
One year old is sooo....young. Look, co-sleeping is such a personal issue for everyone and it's certainly not for everyone, though I believe it's beneficial for every child. Seems to me you are not comfortable with the idea otherwise your child would be sleeping with you or at least in your own room from the beginning.
With the risk of sounding judgemental, though I am trying not to, the worst you can do IF in fact your child is scared of being asleep by herself, is to force her to do so. She is scared as is, why enforce it? What buggs me, is what made her feel that way? Is it the separation? Did you talk to daycare provider? Can she be going thru growth spurts? Teething? If she had no problem sleeping by herself before, why is she so scared now? You must get to the bottom of this.
I would suggest to be a comfort for her during this time. Something is bothering her, if you continue to insist that she sleeps by herself when she doesn't want to, it will foster the separation and your connection will be broken. She needs you now. She made it very clear. Be there for her. Take her in your room. You don't even have to put her in your bed, you can put a mattress next to floor. You are not starting a bad habit. You are answering your child's needs. Once her need is addressed, her fear will dissapear, and then you can slowly try to move her back into her room.

Edited to add: And by the way, I'm glad that you were able to follow your God given mothering instincts and not let her cry it out too much.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:06 PM

560 posts, read 2,081,534 times
I agree with the previous poster. She is still a baby and so many things can be bothering her. The fact that she wakes up several times in the night makes me think she might be teething. She also might have gas. Has she started any new foods that might not be agreeing with her? Also, have you started her on milk? Maybe she is having dairy problems. I would not worry with taking her into your bed, parents and children who get a good night sleep are happier all around. If you really have an issue with her in the bed then put her mattress on the floor next to your bed. There is plenty of time later for getting her back in her own room and bed.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:01 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,273,272 times
Nope, I never had that problem. I co-slept with all my children. We all get more sleep that way.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:59 AM

25,735 posts, read 28,205,132 times
We co-sleep.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:01 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,391,182 times
She probably just misses being close to you and is making up for being at daycare all day by wanting to sleep with you at night. Or she's teething or she's gassy or she's just a baby...

We always opted for sleep however we could get it. My kids slept with us when they wanted to. Both slept with us once they could climb out of their cribs (first one at 16 months and second one at 12 months) until they were 2 1/2 nightly...then they transitioned into their own rooms and only periodically wanted in with us. I always felt that if they wanted to be with us that was a valid need for them and as a parent I should address that need and allow them that. Just my opinion, but it was fine for us.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:46 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,870,459 times
If you find a way to keep her in her bed let me know. My 2.5 ds has been invading my bed for 6 months. We take him back to his own bed he comes strolling back into ours 5min later. We bought him a big boy bed with special sheets he pulls the sheets with him to come to ours. We put his older brother in his room, still comes to ours. I now send him to pester his brothers so I can get 2 hours of consective sleep at least once a week. Good luck to you.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:47 PM

200 posts, read 888,601 times
One year olds are constantly in flux. They are teething, they are trying new foods, having strange dream cycles. Sometimes, (as was the case with one of mine) they even have acid reflux, which can bother them if you put them down soon after you've fed them. I think if you are comfortable co-sleeping & that works, then by all means do it. I also do not really pass judgement on the 'cry it out' method. If you're child is in a safe place, and there is nothing in the crib that can harm him/her, some babies need to cry a bit (especially if they've been overstimulated during the day/ or if they are overly tired). Sometimes they will cry a bit & just completely konk out. I have 2 kids, and both were different. I say, do what works for you and your baby...and it's OK to try different methods, just give each one some time to work. My neighbor became so frustrated with her daughter that she brokedown and made an appointment with Dr. Ferber. The Dr. Ferber. I was kind of shocked that he really existed...and saw patients. Anyway, I think it's not only important for baby to be well rested, but you are a much better parent when you are well rested, too...so don't be hard on yourself whatever method you choose!

Old 09-26-2007, 09:10 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,524,604 times
We also co-sleep and I agree with the previous posters.

Your baby is so young. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense that a very young baby would be afraid to be alone in a dark room without the people she knows and trusts to care for her. She has a need to be with you, and she is expressing that need at night. Imagine shutting your baby in her room and expecting her to stay there quietly by herself during the day. If she cried, would you go to her? Why wouldn't you do the same just because it's night? Babies have a need to be with us at night as well as during the day. Night time parenting is a reality. We are parents 24/7, not just during daytime hours.

Also, perhaps she feels a greater need to be with you at night because she is at daycare away from you during the day. My daughter started "reverse-cycling" when I went back to work in order to get more milk and feel closer to me when she had the chance, which was at night. I have come to love sleeping with her and getting that extra cuddle time with her especially since I am away from her during the day.

I use a bed rail and put the baby in bed with me, but you may feel more comfortable just moving her crib next to your bed or even just in your room might be close enough.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:31 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,328,891 times
my twin daughters didnt sleep thru the nite till they were 4. my husband and i were the walking dead for those 4 years and i developed a severe addiction to coffee. there may have been a medical reason for this and i suggest you take that into account (that your little one could be in some type of discomfort). also i have heard that melatonin works great so you may want to read about it. hang in there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting