Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 07:25 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,519 times

Advertisements

I would allow my teenager to explore her other beliefs. If she wanted to visit churches of different faiths or study a different religion, I would be okay with that. Sometimes, it is just curiousity and longing for something "different." Other times, the kid has a real problem with what is being taught in their own religion. As a parent, you can either attempt to answer those questions in a way that is acceptable to the child, or allow the child to find another religion they deem acceptable to them.

I don't believe requiring a child to attend church is "forcing your beliefs" on them. Well, maybe it is in a way, but that is kind of inevitable when we are the ones raising our kids, and they grow up with what we believe in. If my child began objecting about going to church, I would try to get to the real reason why. Just wanting to stay home would not fly, but not believing or being disturbed somehow about the message given is a very good reason not to force it. The only way I would truly object is if my child wanted to become a Satanist or something. I can handle Atheism, or pretty much any other belief, but I don't think I could handle that very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 07:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Right....you happen to know tons of former atheists who now are all devoutly religious?
Why would you doubt her?

psr has professed her faith on this board many times. She's had the guts to do it even when she has been mocked for it. She's been nothing but honest with us on matters of faith.

Of all people to question, she should be last on your list.

(BTW: I also know more than a few former atheists who have turned to religion = specifically Christianity = and become devout. Saying that tends to make the more vocal atheists grumpy but it is what it is. If you go to church and are friends with other religious people you tend to meet them. )

Old 06-10-2012, 08:22 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Why would you doubt her?

psr has professed her faith on this board many times. She's had the guts to do it even when she has been mocked for it. She's been nothing but honest with us on matters of faith.

Of all people to question, she should be last on your list.

(BTW: I also know more than a few former atheists who have turned to religion = specifically Christianity = and become devout. Saying that tends to make the more vocal atheists grumpy but it is what it is. If you go to church and are friends with other religious people you tend to meet them. )
Because i know a few of both, and have not met a atheist that suddenly became devout so i am skeptical anyone knows vast amounts of them. But on the other side i also don't see vast amounts of christians suddenly embracing atheism either. Whether anyone tells the truth on the boards i don't know as personally i take information on the internet with great grains of salt.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Because i know a few of both, and have not met a atheist that suddenly became devout so i am skeptical anyone knows vast amounts of them.
My point was *slaps hand* psr is always honest with us.

Aaaand... You don't go to church do you? Do you go to a prayer group? Bible study? It helps to hang out with the people who believe to KNOW believers.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:33 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My point was *slaps hand* psr is always honest with us.

Aaaand... You don't go to church do you? Do you go to a prayer group? Bible study? It helps to hang out with the people who believe to KNOW believers.
I got a degree in the subject my first go around so yeah i have rubbed elbows with a fair amount of religious people, i do also have christian friends believe it or not .

Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Because i know a few of both, and have not met a atheist that suddenly became devout so i am skeptical anyone knows vast amounts of them. But on the other side i also don't see vast amounts of christians suddenly embracing atheism either. Whether anyone tells the truth on the boards i don't know as personally i take information on the internet with great grains of salt.
That's actually a point -- no one "suddenly" becomes devout, no one "suddenly" becomes an atheist -- so a kid has all the time in the world after he or she has grown into adulthood to make the many steps needed in the conversion process. Most serious religions expect a good amount of study and learning and often times some ceremony or "admittance" into the religion.

Most want to be taken seriously, want conversion taken seriously. So it's really just silly for a 15 year old to wake up some Sunday morning and decide he converted overnight into Hinduism and so can tell his dad he's not going to church this morning for that reason. Even if he converted into atheism, if a few more Sunday services hinder that, he wasn't converting that well anyhow.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Or...how about the opposite? I have pretty much disowned my religion. But I have one son who has embraced it...his whole life revolves around his religion. He is pretty fanatic about the whole thing. And it is a bit much....Christian music all the time, praying about everything, no drinking, and he "lectures" me about my lifestyle choices.

I won't disown him....but I did fantasize about it.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:38 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
They didn't suddenly become devout. It was a long process for all of them. As I said before, reverts and converts often get along very well. As such, I would probably know a lot more people who reverted back to the faith after atheism than would a cradle Catholic who never left.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:18 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
This would all depend on which religion the family partakes in for me to judge. If it's a demanding one, with daily prayers, bible study, pretty much a lifestyle for fear of falling into the fiery depth then I imagine they would be very upset about their child switching. Let's not mention some religions dis fellowship non believers and discourage connections. Especially if they thought the only way their child would make it to heaven, a new world, or space with the rest of the family was through that "said" religion.

Now if the parents don't take church as seriously but just go weekly because thats what their into but don't see it as a death sentence to not then, I don't think it's a big deal. Unless it's a hardcore lifestyle change.

For an Atheist family it isn't a big deal about which end of life cloud you'll land on because they don't believe in it, only the "don't bring it in here and try to convert me" issue. Plus, the hardcore religions tend to cut off communication so that's an issue.

It's a hard one, depending on the faith they are coming from and which faith they are switching into. I can see some being upset, and not very happy about it. Nothing they can really do that close to adult hood but I imagine they'd try if it worried them. If this makes any sense.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:21 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
They didn't suddenly become devout. It was a long process for all of them. As I said before, reverts and converts often get along very well. As such, I would probably know a lot more people who reverted back to the faith after atheism than would a cradle Catholic who never left.
Wow, I can see why she is surprised though. I have never in all my days as an atheist meant an atheist who when religious. And my parents before me were not believers either.
Not saying I don't believe you but I too am surprised by this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting