Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:50 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Right....you happen to know tons of former atheists who now are all devoutly religious?
Yes, I do. Are you trying to say that I'm lying? However, reverts and converts tend to group up since they tend to have more zeal for the faith than those who never left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 05:51 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually religious belief holds an actual purpose day to day -- but you likely have no understanding of that.

Parents teach their kids and make their kids learn many things, do many things the kids don't want to do. Just like making them do their math homework even if they say they don't want to grow up and be mathematicians.

You can't understand religious belief if you've never been exposed to one. Its just like language or anything else, you don't fail to teach your child your language even if one day they may feel like learning and speaking another language, you provide them a basis in all things that you believe in.

I'm not the one who suffers btw -- I haven't suffered yet. Why would I suffer? And my kids don't hate going to church. They sometimes don't really feel like going at first but it's not really the big horrible issue you are trying to make it out to be.
Apples to oranges. Making your children clean up an area gives you a clean living space. Making them go to school gives them an education. Making them get a job gives them a paycheck. But making them go to church or whatever other place of worship doesn't make them believe.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:52 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
And that is only your theory, your opinion. Many people take their kids to church and the kids grow up to be adults with religious beliefs. You have your extreme anti-religioius bigotry, so of course you came to such a conclusion but in my family everyone of my siblings and myself is still in the same religion my father and mother were, and that my grandparents were. Some cousins I believe are not but they aren't rabidly hating religion as far as I know.

I think that with some, they just go to the same church a spouse attends but they are not haters of all religion.
Again i think you are missing the point here. We are not talking about a bored teen who just doesn't feel like going. I am saying that lets say your child comes home saying they now follow the muslim faith and find going to church interferes with their belief set or even finds going insulting to their beliefs for example. And who ever said i'm not religous at all?

Old 06-10-2012, 05:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Again if they hold different beliefs now then you it would be pointless no? Since they already have a good idea of what your belief set entails since most kids don't have these changes in faith until later teen years what is the point of continuing education when it's obvious they hold different beliefs?
No reason not to continue their education. It's my job to get my kids through high school and to age 18. I'm not raising Hindus or Buddhists, I'm raising them in the religion they were born into.

After they are grown up and have left the house, they are free adults and can make their own way in life. They have a strong basis and that's all I can do for them. Just like I can't force them to go to college, but I could force them to go to high school. I can't force them to believe in math but I can force them to do their math drills.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:54 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Right....you happen to know tons of former atheists who now are all devoutly religious?
If she claimed the opposite would that also garner the doubt?

Old 06-10-2012, 05:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Again i think you are missing the point here. We are not talking about a bored teen who just doesn't feel like going. I am saying that lets say your child comes home saying they now follow the muslim faith and find going to church interferes with their belief set or even finds going insulting to their beliefs for example. And who ever said i'm not religous at all?
I seriously doubt that even Islam will accept a minor age child into the mosque who just shows up all on his own. I would guess that most religions require a convert to be an adult.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I didn't say you can force someone to believe. Any more than you can make someone an engineer by forcing him to do his math homework or go to school every day.

Why would religion be any different than anything else you teach your kids? You don't leave them mute because you don't want to impose your language on them.

Just like teaching them they should save money, it doesn't mean they'll grow up and do it but you teach them anyway.

And same goes for anything a family does, a kid might prefer to stay home when the family goes to a family reunion but being part of the family, they can be expected to go. They may just find they like it.

Yes, and my own dad didn't allow "options" and there were times I questioned, or didn't feel like going to church. So no -- not every child grows up despising his/her parents and rejects their whole upbringing. Many of us did not.
By the time they have decided they don't believe, though, haven't they learned whatever there is to know about the religion/belief system in question? It's more like if you had already taught them a foreign language and they decided they didn't like how it sounds and therefore choose not to speak it.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If she claimed the opposite would that also garner the doubt?
Yes i would because i don't think many devoutly religious suddenly become atheists . It does happen yes, but usually they come from non religious to slightly religious households from what i have observed.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I seriously doubt that even Islam will accept a minor age child into the mosque who just shows up all on his own. I would guess that most religions require a convert to be an adult.
I know you said most and not all, but your post reminded me of the fact that the Jehovah's Witnesses I studied with routinely invited teens to Bible studies and baptized them if they showed interest for long enough.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Most religons do allow you to observe service in order to learn however. As for the specifics i don't know about the actualy conversion process. But remember that has to do with the temple/church/mosque, and not the persons belief. You can belief everything catholic, and follow it even if you formally are not converted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting