Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 07:20 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,733,703 times

Advertisements

I like the name Henry. Every kid in his class, if it is a boy, at least will not have the same name. My thoughts are it is ok to give in sometimes, apparently this is important to your husband as it was to mine to carry on his name. Been married almost 30 years and just because I allowed our son to be named after his father did not mean that for the rest of the marriage I always gave in like some people are saying, definitely not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 07:32 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,682,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
Laws vary state by state, but it isn't a huge deal everywhere. I changed my last name in 2006. The entire process consisted of filling out a 3 page PDF file that I downloaded with the proper info, getting the paperwork notarized, dropping it off at the court house and paying a $30 filing fee. They mailed me a signed certificate stating that my name was legal changed a few weeks later. Then I just had to provide the updated name to bills, banks, etc, change my license over and mail the certificate to Social Security for a new card.

Sorry that it is taking your family member so much time and costing so much money.
Again, was it due to a divorce/marriage?

Because changing you name otherwise is a pain in most other states. Hell in NY state to change the last name without marriage/divorce requires a decree from the NY Supreme Court.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:58 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,967,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Again, was it due to a divorce/marriage?

Because changing you name otherwise is a pain in most other states. Hell in NY state to change the last name without marriage/divorce requires a decree from the NY Supreme Court.
No. I took my mother's name. My parents divorced when I was a teen. My mother took her name back and I changed my name to her maiden name in my twenties. I believe the reason I put on the application was "changing name to match mother's last name" or something of that sort. Everything went through no questions asked.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:32 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,869,940 times
I find it funny how so many women are calling the husband selfish for wanting to have a family tradition, yet the OP isn't being selfish for wanting it only her way? If it is that important to the husband, why can't she do something for him?

Henry isn't even a weird name, if it was Cornelius or Felix I could understand. Not that Felix is that weird of a name, just very outdated.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,455,257 times
IDK, my wife and I had no problem with boy names but were stuck intractably on girl names. Fortunately we got two boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting