Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:52 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,273,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Okay. Infants/toddlers do not need juice. Juice is just concentrated sugar. And according to our dentist, a lot of kids have cavities exacerbated by sugary drinks, that are not noticeable by the naked eye, until it's too late.

There is no need to risk it just because some kids' teeth have turned out fine. Plenty have not.
Most kids also eat a lot of junk food, and consume far more sugar than recommended is all. There is a difference between juice now and again and juice 7 times a day,cookie snack, plus other junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 12:57 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,537,849 times
Maybe talk to her about the angle of wanting to minimize the risks that your daughter ends up with diabetes and/or teeth or other health problems.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:59 PM

13,408 posts, read 9,940,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Most kids also eat a lot of junk food, and consume far more sugar than recommended is all. There is a difference between juice now and again and juice 7 times a day,cookie snack, plus other junk.
Not when they're babies. There is no need for juice, and juice is a bad habit to get into. Why start the whole juice thing at 9 months -ish? It's too early, doesn't carry any benefit at all for the kid, and does carry risk.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:00 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Quote:
Okay. Infants/toddlers do not need juice. Juice is just concentrated sugar. And according to our dentist, a lot of kids have dental caries exacerbated by sugary drinks, that are not noticeable by the naked eye, until it's too late.

There is no need to risk it just because some kids' teeth have turned out fine. Plenty have not.
I can't speak for those parents. We don't know what's going on and sugary drinks are easy to blame on. But not all sugary drinks are juice. I've also seen plenty of parents giving their infants/toddlers pop. I have a one year old nephew who's probably drank more pop in his entire life than my almost 6 year old daughter. Same for another nephew who's older... his teeth is actually grey-- he doesn't even drink that much juice, it's pop. His mother doesn't blame pop for it, she blames the juice! (Since that's what his doctor/dentist blame it on-- my sister conveniently omitted his pop drinking habit.)

I was told by my doctor to go ahead and give her some juice when my daughter was over 6 months old (but to dilute it). I started off by giving her one oz of juice and 3 oz water... and as time got on, increased the juice by little, decrease water even littler. Her teeth is fine, except for that one time she fell off a bench and chipped her tooth on the cement ground. My daughter never had her first pop sip until she was 3 years old.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:02 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,273,334 times
Quote:
Not when they're babies. There is no need for juice, and juice is a bad habit to get into. Why start the whole juice thing at 9 months -ish? It's too early, doesn't carry any benefit at all for the kid, and does carry risk.
Vitamins and nutrients carry no benefit?

Old 06-12-2012, 01:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
I get the juice thing. I understand juice is pretty much just a nutritionally void mix of water and sugar. People drink it and give it to kids as a 'healthy' alternative to soda. Rots your teeth too. That's wrong. Unless they are juicing the fruit themselves.

About the bottle, the next time you are at your Mom's house, just throw it away. Don't make a big deal about it, just do it. Don't worry about a couple tastes of mashed potatoes. The child is going to want whatever is on your plate for the rest of her life anyway.

Everyone has ideas on how to raise a child. Granny has the baby 10 hours a week and you have her the rest of the time. Things will never be exactly the same at both places and that's a good thing. You and your child just need to enjoy your time off and experiencing new things. Part of Granny's job is to spoil the kid a little. Kids tend to get a bit cranky whenever their routines are interrupted. It's just something they need to adapt to at a young age. It will happen for the rest of their lives.

As long as the baby is safe and healthy with Granny it's no big deal. All the important needs are being met. Pick and choose your battles and only fight the ones that are really important.

All my grandparents are gone now and I will always miss them. I'm glad I had the chance to get to know and spend time with them. That's important. And yes, over the years they did slip me some treats now and then. One of them took me to my first candy store. A revelation I never forgot. And my Mom was more than a little upset... But we all survived!

Old 06-12-2012, 01:03 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
Okay. Infants/toddlers do not need juice. Juice is just concentrated sugar. And according to our dentist, a lot of kids have dental caries exacerbated by sugary drinks, that are not noticeable by the naked eye, until it's too late.

I agree with this. But. The one and only time I ever found juice useful is when the stupid day care provider did not tell me that my toddler daughter was holding in poop and she was bleeding. She waited until the fear was deeply entrenched and my daughter was bleeding copiously. Since she reported regular BMs I had no idea. Needless to say I did not stay with that idiot. My daughter needed fiber and mineral oil which could be easily mixed in juice. She was not supposed to have much milk since that stopped her up. Mineral oil in plain water was just NASTY.

I know you are not talking about extenuating circumstances such as this. In my opinion if the amounts are moderate, big deal. But the concern is that the volume has a tendency to creep, creep, creep over time.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:07 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
OK got through all the responses!! THANKS guys I love that I can come here to vent.

the table food is just my thing. I make all her baby food with a blender and I dont want her to get into the habit of everytime I eat something she wants it too because shes used to eating WITH me. (sort of the whole dog begging thing) But mostly im waiting for at least 1 tooth to come in before we upgrade her.

The juice and bottle situation are NOT up fr discussion. Both for reason of teeth. (I didnt know not to put a sippy in the bed at night with them thanks for letting me know on another thread) Plus I want her to like water and if she drinks juice she probably wont want water anymore.

Im just going to sit her down with a few printed materials so she can see my point with the juice and bottle thing. The food we may be able to work something out.

I love you guys
One thing you might consider is that if you have her eat at the same time right now while you are also eating she will soon learn that she has her own food and you have yours. This will start a habit of a nice meal together. However, when she does start table food she still will what you have if it's different than what she has. It's just a fact of life for most kids. lol

A suggestion for the sippy-bottle-juice-water situation. Over the years I've used just about every type of cups and bottles there is whether my purchase or the parents of the kids I keep. The most successful sippy I've found for the majority of the babies is this cheap simple one - The First Years Multi Take & Toss Cups - 10 Oz : Target.

What I do is use one color(green) for milk, a different color for water(blue) and a different color for juice(red). So, perhaps you could buy a set for your house and one for mom's house. Then make her a cute chart to use to mark when and what your daughter has consumed at her house. That way you will know what she's had and what she may need when you pick her up, plus when the ped asks for what all she is ingesting you have an accurate accounting.

On the chart you could include instructions of, for instance, water kept filled and available at all times. Milk filled for each meal then put away. Juice filled once a day starting at a certain age (watered down to specific amounts say 1 part juice to 3 parts water) and once it is empty that's it for the day.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:12 PM

13,408 posts, read 9,940,077 times
Quote:
You can get vitamins and nutrients from food without the additional sugar that's in juice. Juice is all sugar. There's no need for babies to have juice (except maybe in some extenuating circumstances, as per somebodynew's post). Water is just fine for babies.

Trust me, it's not worth the risk.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:16 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
Whole fruit makes more sense for nutrients, including fiber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting